Deleting unwanted programs

June 30, 2004 6:04:11 PM

I realize that this is a basic question and there is probably a FAQ about
it, but I'm new to the newsgroup.

How do you delete unwanted factory installed programs like IE, Messenger, or
Advantgo and their various pieces? Also, once deleted, how do you restore
them if you find a need for them? Is there an equivalent of "Add/Remove
Program" in the settings some where?

If I could get some step by step instructions, I would appreciate it. Or
just post the FAQ URL and I'll muddle it out for myself.

Thanks
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:48:13 AM

Removing the inbuilt programs won't give you more memory because they are in
ROM, not user RAM if that is what you are trying to achieve. What is it you
are trying to do/achieve?

If they are in ROM (ie they are there on the machine after a hard reset) you
can't delete the program files, but you could move or delete the link to
them on the start menu. To restore access to them just recreate the start
menu item. This will hide the programs so they can't be ran but you won't
gain any memory.
They are in the Windows/Start Menu directory and if you intend to go ahead
with this you'd be better moving the link to a subdirectory elsewhere as you
may find it difficult to recreate the links (they need to point to your ROM
locations so it may be difficult to get help as it may be
manufacturer/machine/model/OS dependant). These start menu items are just
shortcuts to the program so only a few bytes in size (around 15 bytes).

Look in settings/system/Remove Programs for programs you can uninstall, just
make sure you have the installation file for those you may want to
reinstall. Some programs may be on your original install cd(s).

To repeat, What is it you are trying to do/achieve?

"Monte Mower" <MJMower@aol.com> wrote in message
news:o Nflt3tXEHA.3480@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I realize that this is a basic question and there is probably a FAQ about
> it, but I'm new to the newsgroup.
>
> How do you delete unwanted factory installed programs like IE, Messenger,
or
> Advantgo and their various pieces? Also, once deleted, how do you restore
> them if you find a need for them? Is there an equivalent of "Add/Remove
> Program" in the settings some where?
>
> If I could get some step by step instructions, I would appreciate it. Or
> just post the FAQ URL and I'll muddle it out for myself.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:52:30 PM

You pretty much answered my question. I wanted to recover the memory space
used by these programs. As they are in ROM and not RAM, there seems to be
little use in trying to remove them or deleting the links.

Thanks for you assistance,
Monte Mower

!