Downgrading from HyperThreading (to uniprocessor) in XP Pro

Hi,
I've found myself in a situation where I need to disable HyperThreading in
Windows XP Pro in order to get a device working. Instead of re-installing XP
after disabling HT in the BIOS what else do I need to do?

As far as I can make out, I need to copy in the uniprocessor HAL and kernel
components (ntoskrnl.exe ==> ntoskrnl.exe and halacpi.dll ==> hal.dll).

Anything else?

Cheers

"Lee Rhodes" <daddy_rhodes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've found myself in a situation where I need to disable HyperThreading in
> Windows XP Pro in order to get a device working. Instead of re-installing
XP
> after disabling HT in the BIOS what else do I need to do?
>
> As far as I can make out, I need to copy in the uniprocessor HAL and
kernel
> components (ntoskrnl.exe ==> ntoskrnl.exe and halacpi.dll ==> hal.dll).
>
> Anything else?
>
> Cheers

Actually, you may not need to do anything other
than disable it in the BIOS. XP should work fine
with a multiprocessor HAL even when HT has
been disabled.

Try it, and then try your problem situation as well.

For me, disabling HT in the BIOS and then booting into XP works just
fine. It actually reconfigures XP as a uniprocessor machine and all
works just the same :)

----
Nathan McNulty