Downgrading from HyperThreading (to uniprocessor) in XP Pro

Hi,
I've found myself in a situation where I need to disable HyperThreading in
Windows XP Pro in order to get a device working. Instead of re-installing XP
after disabling HT in the BIOS what else do I need to do?

As far as I can make out, I need to copy in the uniprocessor HAL and kernel
components (ntoskrnl.exe ==> ntoskrnl.exe and halacpi.dll ==> hal.dll).

Anything else?

Cheers
2 answers Last reply
More about downgrading hyperthreading uniprocessor

    "Lee Rhodes" <daddy_rhodes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've found myself in a situation where I need to disable HyperThreading in
    > Windows XP Pro in order to get a device working. Instead of re-installing
    XP
    > after disabling HT in the BIOS what else do I need to do?
    >
    > As far as I can make out, I need to copy in the uniprocessor HAL and
    kernel
    > components (ntoskrnl.exe ==> ntoskrnl.exe and halacpi.dll ==> hal.dll).
    >
    > Anything else?
    >
    > Cheers

    Actually, you may not need to do anything other
    than disable it in the BIOS. XP should work fine
    with a multiprocessor HAL even when HT has
    been disabled.

    Try it, and then try your problem situation as well.

    For me, disabling HT in the BIOS and then booting into XP works just
    fine. It actually reconfigures XP as a uniprocessor machine and all
    works just the same :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    V Green wrote:
    > "Lee Rhodes" <daddy_rhodes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I've found myself in a situation where I need to disable HyperThreading in
    >>Windows XP Pro in order to get a device working. Instead of re-installing
    >
    > XP
    >
    >>after disabling HT in the BIOS what else do I need to do?
    >>
    >>As far as I can make out, I need to copy in the uniprocessor HAL and
    >
    > kernel
    >
    >>components (ntoskrnl.exe ==> ntoskrnl.exe and halacpi.dll ==> hal.dll).
    >>
    >>Anything else?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>

    > Actually, you may not need to do anything other
    > than disable it in the BIOS. XP should work fine
    > with a multiprocessor HAL even when HT has
    > been disabled.
    >
    > Try it, and then try your problem situation as well.

Windows XP Ntoskrnl.Exe