Need Advice - 2.8 XP or 2.8 A64?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2005 2:43:50 AM

I'm on a budget and currently ready to upgrade to something a little
faster than the K6-2 500MHz/128 MB/FIC VA-503+ I'm using right now. I'm
a bit of a newbie when it comes to building, so I could use some advice.

The local computer shop is selling the Athlon XP (Barton) 2.8 for $99
and the Athlon 64 2800+ for $119. I want to do video capture and burn
DVDs smoothly and probably learn to overclock a little down the line.
Would I be gaining much performance by spending $20 more for the Athlon
64 or would I be better off going with the XP (since it's operating
frequency of 2.083 is faster than the 1.8 of the A64)? I don't think
I'll need the 64 bit support for awhile.

I was thinking of pairing the cpu with either: 2.8 XP with the A7N8X-X
or A7N8X-E Deluxe. Or A64 2800+ with K8N. Is the A7N8X-E worth $30 more
than the A7N8X-X?

More about : advice a64

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2005 2:43:51 AM

"rog344" <rog_0629@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm on a budget and currently ready to upgrade to something a little
> faster than the K6-2 500MHz/128 MB/FIC VA-503+ I'm using right now. I'm a
> bit of a newbie when it comes to building, so I could use some advice.
>
> The local computer shop is selling the Athlon XP (Barton) 2.8 for $99 and
> the Athlon 64 2800+ for $119. I want to do video capture and burn DVDs
> smoothly and probably learn to overclock a little down the line. Would I
> be gaining much performance by spending $20 more for the Athlon 64 or
> would I be better off going with the XP (since it's operating frequency of
> 2.083 is faster than the 1.8 of the A64)? I don't think I'll need the 64
> bit support for awhile.
>
> I was thinking of pairing the cpu with either: 2.8 XP with the A7N8X-X or
> A7N8X-E Deluxe. Or A64 2800+ with K8N. Is the A7N8X-E worth $30 more than
> the A7N8X-X?

If you're planning on keeping the next PC as long as you appear to have had
this one, I'd suggest a Socket 939 A64 setup. That way, you'll be able to
upgrade the CPU in a couple of years. We've already seen the fastest Socket
754 CPU.
Something like an Asus A8V (K8T800 chipset works with new dual core CPU's
with a BIOS update), $93 at Newegg. A Venice 3000+ CPU, $146 at Newegg. Of
course, you'll also need new memory and possibly a new video card, depending
on the age of your current card (I'm trying to remember if the 503+ had an
AGP slot.
August 21, 2005 5:07:05 AM

In article <GmONe.118475$5N3.107513@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
rog344 <rog_0629@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm on a budget and currently ready to upgrade to something a little
> faster than the K6-2 500MHz/128 MB/FIC VA-503+ I'm using right now. I'm
> a bit of a newbie when it comes to building, so I could use some advice.
>
> The local computer shop is selling the Athlon XP (Barton) 2.8 for $99
> and the Athlon 64 2800+ for $119. I want to do video capture and burn
> DVDs smoothly and probably learn to overclock a little down the line.
> Would I be gaining much performance by spending $20 more for the Athlon
> 64 or would I be better off going with the XP (since it's operating
> frequency of 2.083 is faster than the 1.8 of the A64)? I don't think
> I'll need the 64 bit support for awhile.
>
> I was thinking of pairing the cpu with either: 2.8 XP with the A7N8X-X
> or A7N8X-E Deluxe. Or A64 2800+ with K8N. Is the A7N8X-E worth $30 more
> than the A7N8X-X?

Under pathological conditions, the core clock speed of these
processors is the most important parameter. I first got a
taste of this, when someone with a scientific application
was looking for a new motherboard. I recommended S939 based
on the outstanding memory bandwidth numbers available on
it, but what happened was, it behaved more like its clock
speed rather than its P.R. rating. In other words, if one
processor is 2200MHz with 512KB cache, and another processor
is 2000MHz with 1MB cache, then if an application doesn't
benefit from L2 cache, the 2200MHz processor is going to win
by exactly 2200/2000 => 10%.

This article, for example, kind of surprised me. The S754 is not
doing too bad, in the mix of applications they selected here. But
as they note, the S754 socket has no future, so whatever you get
today, is all you will ever get. Otherwise, the S939, even if you
lose a bit in performance today, might allow a better tomorrow,
when prices on some of these processors drop a bit.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/531-7/testing-12-ath...

Now, you would hope that most of the time, the extra
hardware you paid for, would pay off. The AMD P.R. rating
system is documented, and for the P.R. rating system to
make sense, you would have to be doing the same mix of
programs as the AMD guys used. I cannot seem to find one
of these docs for S754... Note that office applications is
part of the P.R. rating system, something that participants
in this newsgroup probably don't care about.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_pape...

This AMD doc suggests dual channel is worth 200MHz, and going from
512KB cache to 1MB cache is worth 200MHz. The Behardware article
doesn't seem to agree about the benefit of the dual channel
memory.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...

In terms of overclocking, you should visit the many private
forums and search there. This database used to be a great
place to access raw data, but after they redesigned it, and
threw out the old data, there isn't much left. In any case,
this might give you some idea as to how much overclock to
expect.

http://www.cpudatabase.com/index.cfm?action=search

HTH,
Paul
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2005 5:07:06 AM

> [...]
> programs as the AMD guys used. I cannot seem to find one
> of these docs for S754... Note that office applications is
> part of the P.R. rating system, something that participants
> in this newsgroup probably don't care about.
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_pape...
>
> This AMD doc suggests dual channel is worth 200MHz, and going from
> 512KB cache to 1MB cache is worth 200MHz. The Behardware article
> doesn't seem to agree about the benefit of the dual channel
> memory.
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
>
> In terms of overclocking, you should visit the many private
> forums and search there. This database used to be a great
> place to access raw data, but after they redesigned it, and
> threw out the old data, there isn't much left. In any case,
> this might give you some idea as to how much overclock to

I have two socket 754 mbs running. Since jan 05... The price of one 939=2
754 systems...

amd athlon 64 3000 newcastle other processor is a sempron 2800.....

xman
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2005 11:06:42 AM

Thanks. I'll check out the links you provided.
August 21, 2005 5:35:19 PM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:43:50 GMT, rog344 <rog_0629@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm on a budget and currently ready to upgrade to something a little
>faster than the K6-2 500MHz/128 MB/FIC VA-503+ I'm using right now. I'm
>a bit of a newbie when it comes to building, so I could use some advice.
>
>The local computer shop is selling the Athlon XP (Barton) 2.8 for $99
>and the Athlon 64 2800+ for $119. I want to do video capture and burn
>DVDs smoothly and probably learn to overclock a little down the line.
>Would I be gaining much performance by spending $20 more for the Athlon
>64 or would I be better off going with the XP (since it's operating
>frequency of 2.083 is faster than the 1.8 of the A64)? I don't think
>I'll need the 64 bit support for awhile.
>
>I was thinking of pairing the cpu with either: 2.8 XP with the A7N8X-X
>or A7N8X-E Deluxe. Or A64 2800+ with K8N. Is the A7N8X-E worth $30 more
>than the A7N8X-X?

Well if you decide to go the Barton route the A7N8X-X (VIA chipset)
would sort of be a bad choice IMO, it doesn't lock the PCI/AGP bus so it
has less potential in overclocking, unlike the A7N8X and A7N8X Deluxe
versions (Nvidia chipsets) it doesn't support Dual Ch. memory mode
either. The Deluxe versions also have SoundStorm, 2 LAN ports, SATA, so
for $30 more it's a pretty good deal if you can make use of those
features.

Ed
--
A7N8X v2.00 / Barton 2800+ @ 3200+
VNF3-250 / Athlon 64 3200+

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I thought the A7N8X-X was the same
in terms of overclocking features as the A7N8X-E/A7N8X. And I did want
an Nvidia based board this time around, not Via. The extra $30 does look
like a pretty good deal.

On 8/21/05 11:35 AM, Ed wrote:

> Well if you decide to go the Barton route the A7N8X-X (VIA chipset)
> would sort of be a bad choice IMO, it doesn't lock the PCI/AGP bus so it
> has less potential in overclocking, unlike the A7N8X and A7N8X Deluxe
> versions (Nvidia chipsets) it doesn't support Dual Ch. memory mode
> either. The Deluxe versions also have SoundStorm, 2 LAN ports, SATA, so
> for $30 more it's a pretty good deal if you can make use of those
> features.
>
> Ed
> --
> A7N8X v2.00 / Barton 2800+ @ 3200+
> VNF3-250 / Athlon 64 3200+

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2005 11:02:45 AM

"Ed" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:43:50 GMT, rog344 <rog_0629@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> Well if you decide to go the Barton route the A7N8X-X (VIA chipset)
> would sort of be a bad choice IMO, it doesn't lock the PCI/AGP bus so it
> has less potential in overclocking, unlike the A7N8X and A7N8X Deluxe
> versions (Nvidia chipsets) it doesn't support Dual Ch. memory mode
> either. The Deluxe versions also have SoundStorm, 2 LAN ports, SATA, so
> for $30 more it's a pretty good deal if you can make use of those
> features.
>
> Ed
> --
> A7N8X v2.00 / Barton 2800+ @ 3200+
> VNF3-250 / Athlon 64 3200+

Uh, Ed, I think you may have meant the A7*V*8X-X? The A7N8X-X has the NForce
2 chipset from NVidia, and does give the user the ability to lock the
PCI/AGP bus. In fact, the only feature found in the A7N8X and A7N8x Deluxe
that is not found in the A7N8X-X is support for dual channel memory.
I have both an A7N8X-X and an A7N8X Deluxe here both running happily with
2500+ Bartons overclocked to 3200+ speed (11 x 200) with AGP/PCI locked.
I agree the extra features on the Deluxe you mention may be worth the extra
$$ if the OP needs them, but the A7N8X-X will overclock just fine.
August 22, 2005 6:26:46 PM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:02:45 -0500, "Peter van der Goes"
<p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote:

>Uh, Ed, I think you may have meant the A7*V*8X-X? The A7N8X-X has the NForce
>2 chipset from NVidia, and does give the user the ability to lock the
>PCI/AGP bus. In fact, the only feature found in the A7N8X and A7N8x Deluxe
>that is not found in the A7N8X-X is support for dual channel memory.

YES YOU ARE RIGHT! (sorry bout that!)

>I have both an A7N8X-X and an A7N8X Deluxe here both running happily with
>2500+ Bartons overclocked to 3200+ speed (11 x 200) with AGP/PCI locked.
>I agree the extra features on the Deluxe you mention may be worth the extra
>$$ if the OP needs them, but the A7N8X-X will overclock just fine.

The Unlocked Bartons are the way to go if you want to get all you can
out of these boards. 2+ years on my A7N8X and can't say one bad thing
about it, very stable (up to 210MHz), fails Prime95 at 212MHz even with
PC4000.

Ed
August 22, 2005 6:30:22 PM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:45:57 GMT, rog344 <rog_0629@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks for pointing that out to me. I thought the A7N8X-X was the same
>in terms of overclocking features as the A7N8X-E/A7N8X. And I did want
>an Nvidia based board this time around, not Via. The extra $30 does look
>like a pretty good deal.

I stand corrected, the A7N8X-X does have the NForce2 chipset.

Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2005 1:40:11 AM

Thanks to both of you for the correction. I think I'm leaning towards a
Barton system now. Should suit my purposes fine.

-rog344

!