I have an eMachine computer running on XP. I have
attached to it a multifunction HP printer, scanner, fax,
model Office Jet R80xi.

With Windows XP, the drivers for this printer/scanner are
included in the operating system and the old drivers that
were provided by HP for Windows 98 do not work with XP.

I recently have been having problems with the scanner
function. The scanner function works fine when I launch
it from the Control Panel, Scanner-Camera icon. The
problem is when I try to launch the scanner directly from
other software. This problem started when I unplugged the
Office Jet from the computer and plugged it back again.

I use to be able to launch the scanner directly from other
programs such as Adobe Acrobat or Paperport. However, I
am no longer able to launch the scanner directly from
these programs. I get messages stating that "scanner not
found" or "error reading from Twain device." The printer
function of the machine still works with all these
programs.

I have unplugged the printer/scanner a few times, and each
time the plug'n'play recognizes the hardware, but gives
the scanner a new name in Device Manager. Whereas
originally it was "HP Office Jet R80xi", it is now "HP
Office Jet R80xi #5". I believe this is causing the
problem with the non-windows software recognizing the
scanner with a slightly different name.

I have tried to uninstall the drivers, the hardware and
even looked in the registry to see if I can modify the
name of the scanner to take away the "#5" designation.
But I have not been successful.

Any thoughts. Thanks

Hello

Well have you tried going to hp.com or even calling
HP Tech support for help. Also see link below you should
try going to hp.com for answers do a little research sometime

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpu01853&lang=en&cc=us

Alvin

Zecarioca wrote:

> I have an eMachine computer running on XP. I have
> attached to it a multifunction HP printer, scanner, fax,
> model Office Jet R80xi.
>
> With Windows XP, the drivers for this printer/scanner are
> included in the operating system and the old drivers that
> were provided by HP for Windows 98 do not work with XP.
>
> I recently have been having problems with the scanner
> function. The scanner function works fine when I launch
> it from the Control Panel, Scanner-Camera icon. The
> problem is when I try to launch the scanner directly from
> other software. This problem started when I unplugged the
> Office Jet from the computer and plugged it back again.
>
> I use to be able to launch the scanner directly from other
> programs such as Adobe Acrobat or Paperport. However, I
> am no longer able to launch the scanner directly from
> these programs. I get messages stating that "scanner not
> found" or "error reading from Twain device." The printer
> function of the machine still works with all these
> programs.
>
> I have unplugged the printer/scanner a few times, and each
> time the plug'n'play recognizes the hardware, but gives
> the scanner a new name in Device Manager. Whereas
> originally it was "HP Office Jet R80xi", it is now "HP
> Office Jet R80xi #5". I believe this is causing the
> problem with the non-windows software recognizing the
> scanner with a slightly different name.
>
> I have tried to uninstall the drivers, the hardware and
> even looked in the registry to see if I can modify the
> name of the scanner to take away the "#5" designation.
> But I have not been successful.
>
> Any thoughts. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS