Fastest CPU on a P4P800 Deluxe?

fred

The different Intel CPUs out there have me confused. I currently have a
2.8CGHz CPU on my 800 Deluxe. Looking on the Asus site I see the max I can
have is a 3.2GHz. Looking around to price them I'm finding CPUs with 512k
cache, 1MB cache, etc...

Can someone tell me what, *exactly*, is the fastest performing CPU I can
put in a P4P800 Deluxe? By exactly I mean the basic specs; Speed, cache...

Another question is whether or not I'd notice a speed difference between a
2.8GHz and a 3.2GHz? Is that a large enough jump for the difference to be
actually noticable or only benchmarked?

Thanks.

Fred

> The different Intel CPUs out there have me confused. I currently have a
> 2.8CGHz CPU on my 800 Deluxe. Looking on the Asus site I see the max I
> can
> have is a 3.2GHz. Looking around to price them I'm finding CPUs with 512k
> cache, 1MB cache, etc...
> > Can someone tell me what, *exactly*, is the fastest performing CPU I can
> put in a P4P800 Deluxe? By exactly I mean the basic specs; Speed,
> cache...

Your ASUS P4P800 Deluxe actually supports up to a P4 3.4GHz 800FSB 1MB
cache Prescott CPU which is the fastest right now.

> Another question is whether or not I'd notice a speed difference between a
> 2.8GHz and a 3.2GHz? Is that a large enough jump for the difference to be
> actually noticable or only benchmarked?

A 3.2GHz will be up to ~14% faster in some apps which is barely noticeable.
A 3.4Ghz will be up to up ~21% faster which may be a little noticeable.
The real world speed boost depends on what you use the system for.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

In article <ZZ7Oe.35047$EX.780@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, kc@kc-
computers.com says...
> > The different Intel CPUs out there have me confused. I currently have a
> > 2.8CGHz CPU on my 800 Deluxe. Looking on the Asus site I see the max I
> > can
> > have is a 3.2GHz. Looking around to price them I'm finding CPUs with 512k
> > cache, 1MB cache, etc...
> > > Can someone tell me what, *exactly*, is the fastest performing CPU I can
> > put in a P4P800 Deluxe? By exactly I mean the basic specs; Speed,
> > cache...
>

> Your ASUS P4P800 Deluxe actually supports up to a P4 3.4GHz 800FSB 1MB
> cache Prescott CPU which is the fastest right now.

You will notice the difference--in hdd speed and screen refresh
and games(fps)-so->>do it

--
Best Regards,

the "Northwood" core chips will have 512mb cache and may run cooler
and can overclock fairly well. Speed peaks at 3.2ghz...I believe.

the "Prescott" core chips are newer tech and tend to run hotter, but
have the 1mb cache size and are offered at higher clock rates.

In any case, you will notice a difference. Depending on the
application and the core you choose, those differences will vary and
you may not notice much between the two...

For that board, I would recomend the northwood, if you can find one
that is...
FYI

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:10:26 GMT, Fred <x@x.com> wrote:

>The different Intel CPUs out there have me confused. I currently have a
>2.8CGHz CPU on my 800 Deluxe. Looking on the Asus site I see the max I can
>have is a 3.2GHz. Looking around to price them I'm finding CPUs with 512k
>cache, 1MB cache, etc...
>
>Can someone tell me what, *exactly*, is the fastest performing CPU I can
>put in a P4P800 Deluxe? By exactly I mean the basic specs; Speed, cache...
>
>Another question is whether or not I'd notice a speed difference between a
>2.8GHz and a 3.2GHz? Is that a large enough jump for the difference to be
>actually noticable or only benchmarked?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Fred

ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

Paul

Splendid

In article <Xns96B9B8E01AA74zoomiefastmailfm@199.45.49.11>, Fred <x@x.com>
wrote:

> The different Intel CPUs out there have me confused. I currently have a
> 2.8CGHz CPU on my 800 Deluxe. Looking on the Asus site I see the max I can
> have is a 3.2GHz. Looking around to price them I'm finding CPUs with 512k
> cache, 1MB cache, etc...
>
> Can someone tell me what, *exactly*, is the fastest performing CPU I can
> put in a P4P800 Deluxe? By exactly I mean the basic specs; Speed, cache...
>
> Another question is whether or not I'd notice a speed difference between a
> 2.8GHz and a 3.2GHz? Is that a large enough jump for the difference to be
> actually noticable or only benchmarked?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Fred

Why not overclock your 2.8Ghz to 3.2Ghz and see for yourself
how much faster it is. Just increase the FSB the appropriate
percentage. Or use whatever "AI Overclock" option it has,
and set it to 15%.

If you need raw data on overclocking (versus processor model):

http://www.cpudatabase.com/index.cfm?action=search

Paul

In article <dsgig1pthkif9nbp5iqfs9b6l5sgk6tvor@4ax.com>, bs@aol.com
says...
> the "Prescott" core chips are newer tech and tend to run hotter, but
> have the 1mb cache size and are offered at higher clock rates.

I have a 2.8ghz P4 with 1m cache, I don't see it as HyperThreaded - I
didn't think they made 2.8's with 1m that were not HyperThreaded.

Am I missing something?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Greysky

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002

"Fred" <x@x.com> wrote in message
> The different Intel CPUs out there have me confused. I currently have a
> 2.8CGHz CPU on my 800 Deluxe. Looking on the Asus site I see the max I
> can
> have is a 3.2GHz. Looking around to price them I'm finding CPUs with 512k
> cache, 1MB cache, etc...
>
> Can someone tell me what, *exactly*, is the fastest performing CPU I can
> put in a P4P800 Deluxe? By exactly I mean the basic specs; Speed,
> cache...
>
> Another question is whether or not I'd notice a speed difference between a
> 2.8GHz and a 3.2GHz? Is that a large enough jump for the difference to be
> actually noticable or only benchmarked?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Fred

That is what I did last week. I replaced the 2.8 GHz Northwood with a 3.2
Ghz Prescott. I run my chips overclocked - the 2.8 Ghz could overclock more
than the newer chip percentage wise. I ran it at 3.2 Ghz, and this new chip
becomes unstable at 3.45 Ghz, so there is not that much of a speed increase
for me, but I do notice the larger cache. Windows boots smoother, and the
desktop icons come up faster. My programs are 'snappier'. IMO, though I'm
happy with what I'm seeing, I think Intel really dropped the ball on this
one. The new socket 775 cpus have a 2 MB cache, but don't fit in what is
otherwise a good motherboard. I would recommend going with a 3.4 Ghz P4 if
you can find one. I would have bough one but no one in central California
seems to be selling them any more. I hear Intel will stop making this
(socket 468) P4's completely in 6 months, so good luck hunting one up.

I believe you are correct, is your bios supporting "HT" ?
Your chip should be...what is the board model ?

also:
is that a socket 478 ? or LGA 775 (no pins...)?
As far as I know, all 800mhz lga775 cpu's are HT enabled and only the
lga775 cpu's @ 533mhz were not...(of course the "D" series is not as
well...duh...)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:05:53 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>In article <dsgig1pthkif9nbp5iqfs9b6l5sgk6tvor@4ax.com>, bs@aol.com
>says...
>> the "Prescott" core chips are newer tech and tend to run hotter, but
>> have the 1mb cache size and are offered at higher clock rates.
>
>I have a 2.8ghz P4 with 1m cache, I don't see it as HyperThreaded - I
>didn't think they made 2.8's with 1m that were not HyperThreaded.
>
>Am I missing something?

ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

just checked at intels website and it seems to indicate that the
400/533 mhz bus chips did not have "HT", but may come with 1mb L2
cache.
So we need to find out what is your cpu fsb ? (ie: 133x4@533mhz or
200x4@800mhz).
At this point, it appears you have a 2.8 running at 533fsb with 1mb L2
cache. Probably still a northwood, some intel experts may have more
insight...but the 533 bus speed did go as high as 2.8ghz cpu's.
regards,

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 03:27:24 GMT, ñíñjà¤têç <bs@aol.com> wrote:

>I believe you are correct, is your bios supporting "HT" ?
>Your chip should be...what is the board model ?
>
>also:
>is that a socket 478 ? or LGA 775 (no pins...)?
>As far as I know, all 800mhz lga775 cpu's are HT enabled and only the
>lga775 cpu's @ 533mhz were not...(of course the "D" series is not as
>well...duh...)
>

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:05:53 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>
>>In article <dsgig1pthkif9nbp5iqfs9b6l5sgk6tvor@4ax.com>, bs@aol.com
>>says...
>>> the "Prescott" core chips are newer tech and tend to run hotter, but
>>> have the 1mb cache size and are offered at higher clock rates.
>>
>>I have a 2.8ghz P4 with 1m cache, I don't see it as HyperThreaded - I
>>didn't think they made 2.8's with 1m that were not HyperThreaded.
>>
>>Am I missing something?
>

> ñíñjà¤têç
>
>---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

fred

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in news:nospam-2208050320450001@
192.168.1.178:

> Why not overclock your 2.8Ghz to 3.2Ghz and see for yourself
> how much faster it is.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!

As for overclocking, I was scared to try. The first time I tried it was
right after flashing the BIOS. I was so heady with success that I started
fooling around with things and suddenly had an expensive doorstop rather
than a computer - BIOS corruption. Luckily I managed to ressurect the
thing (after panicking) and vowed never to mess with that technical/magical
mumbo-jumbo ever again.

No, I don't keep my vows. <g>

I wasn't in the mood to figure out how to manually overclock by 15% so I
chose the available 20% and hoped for the best. It's been stable at
3.36GHz for a day now with not a peep from Asus probe about heating
problems. I even did a few levels of Call of Duty with no issues.

My impressions? Any speed increase I notice is probably mostly my
imagination. I *think* it feels faster but that's more of a gut reaction
and not an obvious objective observation.

I should be getting another matched pair of Kingston sticks for my birthday
next month month - either that or a pony - to bring me up to 1GB of RAM. I
expect that's where I'll notice a real improvement.

I'm not a serious gamer or graphics artist so I don't need the fastest with
the mostest in computer hardware. I'll be happy with holding off complete
obsolesence for as long as possible. For that I see my future upgrades
being a SATA drive, a larger power supply, and a better graphics card once
all of the top of the line AGP models are regulated to the discount bin.

Again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions everyone. It helped.

Fred

In article <d75lg1tdkd87shciio9n7pko71hfs6g1c1@4ax.com>, bs@aol.com
says...
> I believe you are correct, is your bios supporting "HT" ?
> Your chip should be...what is the board model ?
>
> also:
> is that a socket 478 ? or LGA 775 (no pins...)?
> As far as I know, all 800mhz lga775 cpu's are HT enabled and only the
> lga775 cpu's @ 533mhz were not...(of course the "D" series is not as
> well...duh...)

The chips is a P4 2.8ghz/1m/533 - which is about as much as I know.

From the retail box:
Intel P4 2.80Ghz, 1mb L2 Cache, 533FSB, PGA 478 Pkg.

The motherboard is:

P4P800-e Deluxe-UAYZ and the manual indicates it supports HT.

Thanks

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

In article <496lg1pnoiebi9tmeo58qh7iqskia9nmae@4ax.com>, bs@aol.com
says...
> just checked at intels website and it seems to indicate that the
> 400/533 mhz bus chips did not have "HT", but may come with 1mb L2
> cache.
> So we need to find out what is your cpu fsb ? (ie: 133x4@533mhz or
> 200x4@800mhz).
> At this point, it appears you have a 2.8 running at 533fsb with 1mb L2
> cache. Probably still a northwood, some intel experts may have more
> insight...but the 533 bus speed did go as high as 2.8ghz cpu's.
> regards,

Thanks - sorry to put you through that, I should have checked the Intel
sight myself.

--

In article <2KAOe.9548$137.3654@trnddc08>, x@x.com says...
> I wasn't in the mood to figure out how to manually overclock by 15% so I
> chose the available 20% and hoped for the best. It's been stable at
> 3.36GHz for a day now with not a peep from Asus probe about heating
> problems. I even did a few levels of Call of Duty with no issues.

What was the CPU temp difference between before/after?

What was the temp during the game?

My retail p4/2.8 shows 42/107 during normal work - Word, Office in
general, email, etc... It increases about 10 deg f when I play Counter
Strike, but the entire case warms by about 10 deg f.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

that makes sense, the board does support ht but the cpu does
not...(533fsb). Only th 800fsb's do...

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:30:04 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>In article <d75lg1tdkd87shciio9n7pko71hfs6g1c1@4ax.com>, bs@aol.com
>says...
>> I believe you are correct, is your bios supporting "HT" ?
>> Your chip should be...what is the board model ?
>>
>> also:
>> is that a socket 478 ? or LGA 775 (no pins...)?
>> As far as I know, all 800mhz lga775 cpu's are HT enabled and only the
>> lga775 cpu's @ 533mhz were not...(of course the "D" series is not as
>> well...duh...)
>
>The chips is a P4 2.8ghz/1m/533 - which is about as much as I know.
>
>From the retail box:
>Intel P4 2.80Ghz, 1mb L2 Cache, 533FSB, PGA 478 Pkg.
>
>The motherboard is:
>
>P4P800-e Deluxe-UAYZ and the manual indicates it supports HT.
>
>Thanks

ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

impressive overclocking...!
the downside will be that the memory will start to clock it's way
down, so there is a trade off, unless you have quality memory and set
it manually...
Just work on some better airflow and maybe try to notch it down to 10
or 15%...run cpu-z to check what your memory is running at...
web page: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Regards,

ps: take the pony...

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:02:06 GMT, Fred <x@x.com> wrote:

>nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in news:nospam-2208050320450001@
>192.168.1.178:
>
>> Why not overclock your 2.8Ghz to 3.2Ghz and see for yourself
>> how much faster it is.
>
>Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!
>
>As for overclocking, I was scared to try. The first time I tried it was
>right after flashing the BIOS. I was so heady with success that I started
>fooling around with things and suddenly had an expensive doorstop rather
>than a computer - BIOS corruption. Luckily I managed to ressurect the
>thing (after panicking) and vowed never to mess with that technical/magical
>mumbo-jumbo ever again.
>
>No, I don't keep my vows. <g>
>
>I wasn't in the mood to figure out how to manually overclock by 15% so I
>chose the available 20% and hoped for the best. It's been stable at
>3.36GHz for a day now with not a peep from Asus probe about heating
>problems. I even did a few levels of Call of Duty with no issues.
>
>My impressions? Any speed increase I notice is probably mostly my
>imagination. I *think* it feels faster but that's more of a gut reaction
>and not an obvious objective observation.
>
>I should be getting another matched pair of Kingston sticks for my birthday
>next month month - either that or a pony - to bring me up to 1GB of RAM. I
>expect that's where I'll notice a real improvement.
>
>I'm not a serious gamer or graphics artist so I don't need the fastest with
>the mostest in computer hardware. I'll be happy with holding off complete
>obsolesence for as long as possible. For that I see my future upgrades
>being a SATA drive, a larger power supply, and a better graphics card once
>all of the top of the line AGP models are regulated to the discount bin.
>
>Again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions everyone. It helped.
>
>Fred

ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---