95 Sidewinder Gamepad

September 17, 2004 4:09:41 PM

I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance, John

More about : sidewinder gamepad

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 6:21:49 PM

John, I doubt that you will be able to find drivers for that Gamepad but
you could check at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/

"John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
> windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
> anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
> will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
> computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
> I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
> Thanks in advance, John
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 3:13:07 AM

Drivers are built into XP. Just connect the device, then go to Game
Controllers in the Control Panel, then click Add, then scroll down to
SideWinder (Auto-Detect), then go from there. I am not 100% sure that
the device is supported, but that is where the drivers would be if it were.

The person who would really know is either Jason Tsang or Joshua Smith :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Rich Barry wrote:
> John, I doubt that you will be able to find drivers for that Gamepad but
> you could check at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/
>

> "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
>>windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
>>anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
>>will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
>>computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
>>I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
>>Thanks in advance, John

September 19, 2004 11:11:56 PM

Nathan said that XP supports that pad. That 15-pin connector (game
controller port) is usually found on soundcards. There are USB-gameport
converters available...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
> windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
> anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
> will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
> computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
> I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
> Thanks in advance, John
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 3:01:48 PM

For the cost of a gameport to USB converter you can usually buy a USB
gamepad. The benefit there is often times they will come with keymapping
software too. Also the gameport to USB converters only support analog
devices.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nathan said that XP supports that pad. That 15-pin connector (game
> controller port) is usually found on soundcards. There are USB-gameport
> converters available...
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>
> "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
>> I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
>> windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
>> anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
>> will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
>> computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
>> I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
>> Thanks in advance, John

September 21, 2004 12:36:06 AM

confers no rights
>TO Mr. Joshua Smith***** Are you saying that the 95
sidewinder is NOT an analog device? (And wouldn't work
anyway, even with an adapter?). I have the driver.
Sincerely, John Hurlbut
hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com

>"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in
message
>> Nathan said that XP supports that pad. That 15-pin
connector (game
>> controller port) is usually found on soundcards. There
are USB-gameport
>> converters available...
>>

>> --
>> Tumppi
>> Reply to group
>> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
>> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
>> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>>
>> "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
>>> I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I
had
>>> windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
>>> anybody know if this will work on windows xp home?
If it
>>> will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
>>> computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
>>> I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help
me?
>>> Thanks in advance, John
>>

>.

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:10:34 PM

That is correct. The Sidewinder gamepad is a digital device with no analog
mode. Trying to use the driver in conjunction with the converter isn't going
to help either. The reason digital devices don't work is that their drivers
are written to look for the device on a specific bus. The gameport digital
devices drivers all look for data on and send data to the gameport/MIDI bus.
If you happen to find a converter that claims to support digital devices I'd
be interested in knowing so we can test it. In closing I'd just like to say
that gameport technology, like the ISA bus and a host of others, is old
technology. As hardware advances there is always something that doesn't work
as good or is more complicated to produce that is left behind. There hasn't
been a major manufacturer in the last few years that has made a gameport
only device.

> [...]
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 3:43:45 PM

I don't know if this is a digital or analog converter, as I haven't seen it
in real life, Rockfire RM-203:
www.rockfire.com.tw Accessories

--

"Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> That is correct. The Sidewinder gamepad is a digital device with no analog
> mode. Trying to use the driver in conjunction with the converter isn't
going
> to help either. The reason digital devices don't work is that their
drivers
> are written to look for the device on a specific bus. The gameport digital
> devices drivers all look for data on and send data to the gameport/MIDI
bus.
> If you happen to find a converter that claims to support digital devices
I'd
> be interested in knowing so we can test it. In closing I'd just like to
say
> that gameport technology, like the ISA bus and a host of others, is old
> technology. As hardware advances there is always something that doesn't
work
> as good or is more complicated to produce that is left behind. There
hasn't
> been a major manufacturer in the last few years that has made a gameport
> only device.
>
> Joshua Smith
> DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
> Microsoft
> -----

> "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 3:43:46 PM

It is hard to say. It doesn't specifically state either way. You should
probably write them and ask for a list of supported devices and if it
supports your particular digital devices.

!