95 Sidewinder Gamepad

I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance, John
8 answers Last reply
More about sidewinder gamepad

    John, I doubt that you will be able to find drivers for that Gamepad but
    you could check at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/

    "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
    > windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
    > anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
    > will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
    > computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
    > I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
    > Thanks in advance, John

    Drivers are built into XP. Just connect the device, then go to Game
    Controllers in the Control Panel, then click Add, then scroll down to
    SideWinder (Auto-Detect), then go from there. I am not 100% sure that
    the device is supported, but that is where the drivers would be if it were.

    The person who would really know is either Jason Tsang or Joshua Smith :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Rich Barry wrote:
    > John, I doubt that you will be able to find drivers for that Gamepad but
    > you could check at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/
    >

    > "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
    >>windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
    >>anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
    >>will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
    >>computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
    >>I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
    >>Thanks in advance, John

    Nathan said that XP supports that pad. That 15-pin connector (game
    controller port) is usually found on soundcards. There are USB-gameport
    converters available...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
    > windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
    > anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
    > will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
    > computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
    > I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
    > Thanks in advance, John

    For the cost of a gameport to USB converter you can usually buy a USB
    gamepad. The benefit there is often times they will come with keymapping
    software too. Also the gameport to USB converters only support analog
    devices.

    Joshua Smith
    DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Nathan said that XP supports that pad. That 15-pin connector (game
    > controller port) is usually found on soundcards. There are USB-gameport
    > converters available...
    >

    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >
    > "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I had
    >> windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
    >> anybody know if this will work on windows xp home? If it
    >> will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
    >> computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
    >> I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help me?
    >> Thanks in advance, John

    sidewinder is NOT an analog device? (And wouldn't work
    anyway, even with an adapter?). I have the driver.
    Sincerely, John Hurlbut
    hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com

    >"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Nathan said that XP supports that pad. That 15-pin
    connector (game
    >> controller port) is usually found on soundcards. There
    are USB-gameport
    >> converters available...
    >>

    >> --
    >> Tumppi
    >> Reply to group
    >> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    >> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    >> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >>
    >> "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    >>> I bought a windows 95 Sidewinder Gamepad new when I
    had
    >>> windows 95. It has a 15 pin connector plug. Does
    >>> anybody know if this will work on windows xp home?
    If it
    >>> will, what converter do I need to plug it into my
    >>> computer (my computer has nothing like a 15 pin port)?
    >>> I told my son I'd try to hook it up, can anybody help
    me?
    >>> Thanks in advance, John
    >>

    >.

    That is correct. The Sidewinder gamepad is a digital device with no analog
    mode. Trying to use the driver in conjunction with the converter isn't going
    to help either. The reason digital devices don't work is that their drivers
    are written to look for the device on a specific bus. The gameport digital
    devices drivers all look for data on and send data to the gameport/MIDI bus.
    If you happen to find a converter that claims to support digital devices I'd
    be interested in knowing so we can test it. In closing I'd just like to say
    that gameport technology, like the ISA bus and a host of others, is old
    technology. As hardware advances there is always something that doesn't work
    as good or is more complicated to produce that is left behind. There hasn't
    been a major manufacturer in the last few years that has made a gameport
    only device.

> [...]

    I don't know if this is a digital or analog converter, as I haven't seen it
    in real life, Rockfire RM-203:
    www.rockfire.com.tw Accessories

    --

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > That is correct. The Sidewinder gamepad is a digital device with no analog
    > mode. Trying to use the driver in conjunction with the converter isn't
    going
    > to help either. The reason digital devices don't work is that their
    drivers
    > are written to look for the device on a specific bus. The gameport digital
    > devices drivers all look for data on and send data to the gameport/MIDI
    bus.
    > If you happen to find a converter that claims to support digital devices
    I'd
    > be interested in knowing so we can test it. In closing I'd just like to
    say
    > that gameport technology, like the ISA bus and a host of others, is old
    > technology. As hardware advances there is always something that doesn't
    work
    > as good or is more complicated to produce that is left behind. There
    hasn't
    > been a major manufacturer in the last few years that has made a gameport
    > only device.
    >
    > Joshua Smith
    > DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    > Microsoft
    > -----

    > "John" <hurlbutjohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    It is hard to say. It doesn't specifically state either way. You should
    probably write them and ask for a list of supported devices and if it
    supports your particular digital devices.

    >I don't know if this is a digital or analog converter, as I haven't seen it
    > in real life, Rockfire RM-203:
    > www.rockfire.com.tw Accessories
    >
    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> That is correct. The Sidewinder gamepad is a digital device with no
    >> analog
    >> mode. Trying to use the driver in conjunction with the converter isn't
    > going
    >> to help either. The reason digital devices don't work is that their
    > drivers
    >> are written to look for the device on a specific bus. The gameport
    >> digital
    >> devices drivers all look for data on and send data to the gameport/MIDI
    > bus.
    >> If you happen to find a converter that claims to support digital devices
    > I'd
    >> be interested in knowing so we can test it. In closing I'd just like to
    > say
    >> that gameport technology, like the ISA bus and a host of others, is old
    >> technology. As hardware advances there is always something that doesn't
    > work
    >> as good or is more complicated to produce that is left behind. There
    > hasn't
    >> been a major manufacturer in the last few years that has made a gameport
    >> only device.
    >>
    >> Joshua Smith
    >> DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    >> Microsoft