After SP2 when switching USB ports no detection

After I installed SP2 - when I switch a USB 2.0 device from the port it was
working. the hardware wizard pops out recognizing the hardware as new, it
asks to search for the drivers (I have tried allowing and not allowing it to
go on the NET to search). And it never finds the software - except it is
already in the system

For example, My Palm works fin in its USB port, yet if I move it to another
US Port - the Wizard pops up and it never finishes. So I have to return it
the USB port it was connected to.

Same thing happens with the HP scanner, bit a USB RAM drive has no such
problem

Any ideas?

I would reinstall the chipset (motherboard drivers). This should fix
the problem and I would also use the devices in the ports that they work
in. I recommend using Everset Home from www.lavalys.com to find out
what motherboard you have and it should provide a link to the drivers
for it as well :)

----
Nathan McNulty