ROM DRIVES WILL NOT DROP PREVIOUS CD

JIMSDAY

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004

Greetings.
I originally submitted this problem to a newsgroup: I am
still encountering the problem:
<When I insert any type of CD in either of my CD Drives,
it will display the
icon for that particular disk, but when it is ejected,
the icon does not
disappear. When a new CD is installed, the old CD icon
remains. If I
double-click, the icon, the CD ROM drive acts as if the
previous CD is still
in the Drive. The new CD does not appear.
I tried changing the cables, and I triple checked my
drive jumpers. I also
uninstalled both drivers several times. My motherboard is
an ASUS P4R800V
with 512 Meg ram and a P4 2.8 gig processor. I am running
XP with SP2.>

Reply from Microsoft Newsgroup member:

"If your cd drive is CDRW and you have easy cd creator or
nero or some other 3rd party software to make avail drag
and drop to cd, you may need updates for drivers from
your software provider.

or

If this is an external cd drive, it probably came with
driver software on cd or floppy disk. Reload the drivers
for the cd. You may have to get updates from your
external driver manafacturer
".
The following was my reply to the Newsgroup:

<I do not think that the hardware drivers are the
problem, since they were
uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly. Also, both CD
Rewrite and DVD rewrite
drives behave in the same manner, and they are from
different manufacturers.
I tried changing the drive letters, and IDE cables too.
The Nero INCD drivers
were also removed. Both drives play there respective
formats well. It's just
that I have to reboot my computer in order to get rid of
the CD icons from
the previous CDs. The drives do not "dump" Whatever
memory that they have of
the previous CDs until the computer reboots

I often get it where the icon stays, but at least the data contents
change. Not exactly sure why this happens, but luckily it doesn't occur
all the time. If you see this problem all the time, I would suggest
backing up all of your data, and do a clean install of XP (meaning boot
off the XP CD, format the drive, the install Windows).

----
Nathan McNulty

JIMSDAY wrote:
> Greetings.
> I originally submitted this problem to a newsgroup: I am
> still encountering the problem:
> <When I insert any type of CD in either of my CD Drives,
> it will display the
> icon for that particular disk, but when it is ejected,
> the icon does not
> disappear. When a new CD is installed, the old CD icon
> remains. If I
> double-click, the icon, the CD ROM drive acts as if the
> previous CD is still
> in the Drive. The new CD does not appear.
> I tried changing the cables, and I triple checked my
> drive jumpers. I also
> uninstalled both drivers several times. My motherboard is
> an ASUS P4R800V
> with 512 Meg ram and a P4 2.8 gig processor. I am running
> XP with SP2.>
>
> Reply from Microsoft Newsgroup member:
>
> "If your cd drive is CDRW and you have easy cd creator or
> nero or some other 3rd party software to make avail drag
> and drop to cd, you may need updates for drivers from
> your software provider.
>
> or
>
> If this is an external cd drive, it probably came with
> driver software on cd or floppy disk. Reload the drivers
> for the cd. You may have to get updates from your
> external driver manafacturer
> ".
> The following was my reply to the Newsgroup:
>
> <I do not think that the hardware drivers are the
> problem, since they were
> uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly. Also, both CD
> Rewrite and DVD rewrite
> drives behave in the same manner, and they are from
> different manufacturers.
> I tried changing the drive letters, and IDE cables too.
> The Nero INCD drivers
> were also removed. Both drives play there respective
> formats well. It's just
> that I have to reboot my computer in order to get rid of
> the CD icons from
> the previous CDs. The drives do not "dump" Whatever
> memory that they have of
> the previous CDs until the computer reboots

JIMSDAY

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004

Heavy sigh! I was hoping that I would not hear the dreaded "format" word. The
problem has defied all of my attempts to correct it. If you should come
accross a less invasive course of action, I would appreciate it. Thank you
for your assistance.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> I often get it where the icon stays, but at least the data contents
> change. Not exactly sure why this happens, but luckily it doesn't occur
> all the time. If you see this problem all the time, I would suggest
> backing up all of your data, and do a clean install of XP (meaning boot
> off the XP CD, format the drive, the install Windows).
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> JIMSDAY wrote:
> > Greetings.
> > I originally submitted this problem to a newsgroup: I am
> > still encountering the problem:
> > <When I insert any type of CD in either of my CD Drives,
> > it will display the
> > icon for that particular disk, but when it is ejected,
> > the icon does not
> > disappear. When a new CD is installed, the old CD icon
> > remains. If I
> > double-click, the icon, the CD ROM drive acts as if the
> > previous CD is still
> > in the Drive. The new CD does not appear.
> > I tried changing the cables, and I triple checked my
> > drive jumpers. I also
> > uninstalled both drivers several times. My motherboard is
> > an ASUS P4R800V
> > with 512 Meg ram and a P4 2.8 gig processor. I am running
> > XP with SP2.>
> >
> > Reply from Microsoft Newsgroup member:
> >
> > "If your cd drive is CDRW and you have easy cd creator or
> > nero or some other 3rd party software to make avail drag
> > and drop to cd, you may need updates for drivers from
> > your software provider.
> >
> > or
> >
> > If this is an external cd drive, it probably came with
> > driver software on cd or floppy disk. Reload the drivers
> > for the cd. You may have to get updates from your
> > external driver manafacturer
> > ".
> > The following was my reply to the Newsgroup:
> >
> > <I do not think that the hardware drivers are the
> > problem, since they were
> > uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly. Also, both CD
> > Rewrite and DVD rewrite
> > drives behave in the same manner, and they are from
> > different manufacturers.
> > I tried changing the drive letters, and IDE cables too.
> > The Nero INCD drivers
> > were also removed. Both drives play there respective
> > formats well. It's just
> > that I have to reboot my computer in order to get rid of
> > the CD icons from
> > the previous CDs. The drives do not "dump" Whatever
> > memory that they have of
> > the previous CDs until the computer reboots

JIMSDAY

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004

I was able to track down a less invasive fix:

Re: CD DRIVES WILL NOT "DUMP" LAST CD

this is quite a common error, I dont know why microsoft dun fix it in their
releases lol

what you need to do is a possible two things:

First, Run this application.

The Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard scans your computer devices to find
defective AutoPlay settings, and attempts to fix those it finds. Download the
Autofix utility from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/3/2/2326455e-a840-4c61-bc28-3afa1820b240/AutoFix.exe

And second, for your incorrect contents of the CD drive XP problem

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314939
Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer

If you run the first application, it should fix the autoplay ( CD drive icon
etc.. ) and the second resolution should make sure the CD contents refresh
too.