P4P800-E Deluxe - still random lockups - not a memory prob..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2005 1:10:04 AM

I'm back with the random lockups on P4PE800-E Deluxe based system:
My system:
Case: ASUS TA-231
PSU: Enermax Whisper 350W
M/B: ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe H/W rev.1.02 - lates .inf Intel chipset
drivers installed; latest Marvel Yukon onboard LAN drivers installed
CPU: Intel (Prescot) 3.0GHz (1MB cache) 800MHz FSB
RAM: 2x Apacer 512MB CL 2.5 (not!!!) PC-3200
HDD: WDC 160GB PATA, WDC 160GB SATAII (main Operating System disk),
2xMaxtor 80GB SATA as RAID 0
FDD: Mitsubisihi LS-120 EIDE floppy
Sound: Creative SB Live! 5.1 24-bit
Video: BFG 6600GT 128MB (nVidia) latest WHQL certified drivers from
nVidias website v77.77

OS: Windows XP Pro with SP2 integrated - clean install with all the
latest patches + Symantec AV and Personal Firewall + Spybot S&D +
Adaware. I did all the scans for Trojans, malware etc.

I've ran so many memory testing and genaral CPU/memory/all components
stressing benchmarks and test software but I still cannot narrow down
what's causing random lockups of the system.

Here's what I tried:
- memtest86+ v3.2 - run for more than 8 consecutive hours and few
subsequent shorter runs (3, 2, 4 hours after changing BIOS settings -
settings resotred to default after all).
- Prime95 - passed torture test.
- Counter-Strike: Source - few sessions (~approx. 2 hours and more
each session) - high settings for video and sound quality.
- FarCry - 4 hours game play and shorter subsequent sessions.

System freezes and locks up so nothing can be done; resetting and
holding power button is not of big help after system is restarted it
does not post video. I have to actually pull the plug on it or turn
off the rocker switch on the back of PSU. I've noticed that onboard
LAN is frozen for good - the LED lights (on the m/b i/o panel) stay
on even though system is powered off or reset - it's only pulling the
plug that turns off onboard lan led lights.
There are no events in event viewer
System freezes usually when running desktop applications i.e.:
- typing e-mail in Thunderbird Mozilla
- going through newsgroups messages with help of Agent News reader...
- etc. etc.

I've called ASUS support, not much help from them; the following
recommendations were given to me:
- remove SP2 from Windows XP
- clear CMOS (remove battery + short Clear CMOS jumper)
- flash BIOS with latest stable version 1007.3 again using floppy disk

What is your take on that people?
Oh BTW CPU temperature does not go oven 49 Celsius degrees when
running heave benchmarks and 3D games, case temp. is not going higher
than 31 Celsius degrees, nVidia GPU only reaches 63 when running
games.

/Technik
August 25, 2005 1:22:49 AM

my guess is you need a power supply with more power and make sure
the 12 volt side is rated for at least 18 amps or more, especially with
all the stuff your running.

"Technik" <technik@webtech.com> wrote in message
> I'm back with the random lockups on P4PE800-E Deluxe based system:
> My system:
> Case: ASUS TA-231
> PSU: Enermax Whisper 350W
> M/B: ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe H/W rev.1.02 - lates .inf Intel chipset
> drivers installed; latest Marvel Yukon onboard LAN drivers installed
> CPU: Intel (Prescot) 3.0GHz (1MB cache) 800MHz FSB
> RAM: 2x Apacer 512MB CL 2.5 (not!!!) PC-3200
> HDD: WDC 160GB PATA, WDC 160GB SATAII (main Operating System disk),
> 2xMaxtor 80GB SATA as RAID 0
> FDD: Mitsubisihi LS-120 EIDE floppy
> Sound: Creative SB Live! 5.1 24-bit
> Video: BFG 6600GT 128MB (nVidia) latest WHQL certified drivers from
> nVidias website v77.77
>
> OS: Windows XP Pro with SP2 integrated - clean install with all the
> latest patches + Symantec AV and Personal Firewall + Spybot S&D +
> Adaware. I did all the scans for Trojans, malware etc.
>
> I've ran so many memory testing and genaral CPU/memory/all components
> stressing benchmarks and test software but I still cannot narrow down
> what's causing random lockups of the system.
>
> Here's what I tried:
> - memtest86+ v3.2 - run for more than 8 consecutive hours and few
> subsequent shorter runs (3, 2, 4 hours after changing BIOS settings -
> settings resotred to default after all).
> - Prime95 - passed torture test.
> - Counter-Strike: Source - few sessions (~approx. 2 hours and more
> each session) - high settings for video and sound quality.
> - FarCry - 4 hours game play and shorter subsequent sessions.
>
> System freezes and locks up so nothing can be done; resetting and
> holding power button is not of big help after system is restarted it
> does not post video. I have to actually pull the plug on it or turn
> off the rocker switch on the back of PSU. I've noticed that onboard
> LAN is frozen for good - the LED lights (on the m/b i/o panel) stay
> on even though system is powered off or reset - it's only pulling the
> plug that turns off onboard lan led lights.
> There are no events in event viewer
> System freezes usually when running desktop applications i.e.:
> - typing e-mail in Thunderbird Mozilla
> - going through newsgroups messages with help of Agent News reader...
> - etc. etc.
>
> I've called ASUS support, not much help from them; the following
> recommendations were given to me:
> - remove SP2 from Windows XP
> - clear CMOS (remove battery + short Clear CMOS jumper)
> - flash BIOS with latest stable version 1007.3 again using floppy disk
>
> What is your take on that people?
> Oh BTW CPU temperature does not go oven 49 Celsius degrees when
> running heave benchmarks and 3D games, case temp. is not going higher
> than 31 Celsius degrees, nVidia GPU only reaches 63 when running
> games.
>
> /Technik
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2005 2:22:46 AM

I will definitely try this suggestion - I will get mysel a new Enermax
or Antec power supply with rating of at least 20 amps on the +12V
rail.

/Technik

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:22:49 -0400, "BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>my guess is you need a power supply with more power and make sure
>the 12 volt side is rated for at least 18 amps or more, especially with
> all the stuff your running.

a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2005 2:25:17 AM

Just a thought:
Could this situation be caused by overloaded USB internal m/b hub?
I've had my wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo USB pluged in right
next to a wired iFeel Logitech mouse which requires 500mA.

I have noticed a lot of crashes occured when I was typing and/or using
mouse.

BTW: the wired mouse is used in case if my batteries need to be
re-charged in the wireless mouse.

/Technik
August 25, 2005 4:41:00 AM

tough question but I think your problems are power related, so anything that
draws power
can adversely affect your system. I am running a similar system and I have a
480 antec true blue PS.
The video card draws a lot of juice. 500mA is only a half of an amp.
Since I replaced my old PS I have no problems but I was getting error
message prior to the upgrade.

> Just a thought:
> Could this situation be caused by overloaded USB internal m/b hub?
> I've had my wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo USB pluged in right
> next to a wired iFeel Logitech mouse which requires 500mA.
>
> I have noticed a lot of crashes occured when I was typing and/or using
> mouse.
>
> BTW: the wired mouse is used in case if my batteries need to be
> re-charged in the wireless mouse.
>
> /Technik
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2005 4:41:01 AM

"BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> tough question but I think your problems are power related, so anything
> that draws power
> can adversely affect your system. I am running a similar system and I have
> a 480 antec true blue PS.
> The video card draws a lot of juice. 500mA is only a half of an amp.
> Since I replaced my old PS I have no problems but I was getting error
> message prior to the upgrade.
>
> "Technik" <technik@webtech.com> wrote in message
>> Just a thought:
>> Could this situation be caused by overloaded USB internal m/b hub?
>> I've had my wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo USB pluged in right
>> next to a wired iFeel Logitech mouse which requires 500mA.
>>
>> I have noticed a lot of crashes occured when I was typing and/or using
>> mouse.
>>
>> BTW: the wired mouse is used in case if my batteries need to be
>> re-charged in the wireless mouse.
>>
>> /Technik

I have a spare powersupply, hook it up to the hds, when I think it could be
the ps in the box.

xman
August 25, 2005 1:59:22 PM

In article <sraqg114hm50gc21dhtk0r5d0l07mb8dsm@4ax.com>, Technik
<technik@webtech.com> wrote:

> Just a thought:
> Could this situation be caused by overloaded USB internal m/b hub?
> I've had my wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo USB pluged in right
> next to a wired iFeel Logitech mouse which requires 500mA.
>
> I have noticed a lot of crashes occured when I was typing and/or using
> mouse.
>
> BTW: the wired mouse is used in case if my batteries need to be
> re-charged in the wireless mouse.
>
> /Technik

Well, separate them, and put them on separate USB stacks. A USB
stack shares a power source (i.e. two USB ports are powered through
the same Polyfuse). If you have a current hungry USB device, place it
on a USB stack by itself, at least until you run out of ports.

The fact that you gamed, and you used Prime95, and nothing happened,
means the PSU is looking pretty stable right now. And while
you are doing those things, you should run Asus Probe (or MBM5 if
it works with that motherboard), and watch what happens to the three
supply rails. If they aren't off by 5%, perhaps you should look
elsewhere for your problem.

The fact that the iFeel draws 500mA is probably not the worst
part of it. The vibrating gadget inside sound like it is a motor
of sorts, in which case it could be sending transients back into
the USB power signal. Try disabling the special effects on the
iFeel, and see if your stability improves. Or, using a separate
USB stack for the device could be another way to fix it.

Better yet, find a replacement for the iFeel, just for testing
purposes. If your stability improves, you then know it is the
iFeel.

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2005 3:37:09 PM

What version BIOS? The German ASUS site has 1008.001 beta

"Technik" <technik@webtech.com> wrote in message
> I'm back with the random lockups on P4PE800-E Deluxe based system:
> My system:
> Case: ASUS TA-231
> PSU: Enermax Whisper 350W
> M/B: ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe H/W rev.1.02 - lates .inf Intel chipset
> drivers installed; latest Marvel Yukon onboard LAN drivers installed
> CPU: Intel (Prescot) 3.0GHz (1MB cache) 800MHz FSB
> RAM: 2x Apacer 512MB CL 2.5 (not!!!) PC-3200
> HDD: WDC 160GB PATA, WDC 160GB SATAII (main Operating System disk),
> 2xMaxtor 80GB SATA as RAID 0
> FDD: Mitsubisihi LS-120 EIDE floppy
> Sound: Creative SB Live! 5.1 24-bit
> Video: BFG 6600GT 128MB (nVidia) latest WHQL certified drivers from
> nVidias website v77.77
>
> OS: Windows XP Pro with SP2 integrated - clean install with all the
> latest patches + Symantec AV and Personal Firewall + Spybot S&D +
> Adaware. I did all the scans for Trojans, malware etc.
>
> I've ran so many memory testing and genaral CPU/memory/all components
> stressing benchmarks and test software but I still cannot narrow down
> what's causing random lockups of the system.
>
> Here's what I tried:
> - memtest86+ v3.2 - run for more than 8 consecutive hours and few
> subsequent shorter runs (3, 2, 4 hours after changing BIOS settings -
> settings resotred to default after all).
> - Prime95 - passed torture test.
> - Counter-Strike: Source - few sessions (~approx. 2 hours and more
> each session) - high settings for video and sound quality.
> - FarCry - 4 hours game play and shorter subsequent sessions.
>
> System freezes and locks up so nothing can be done; resetting and
> holding power button is not of big help after system is restarted it
> does not post video. I have to actually pull the plug on it or turn
> off the rocker switch on the back of PSU. I've noticed that onboard
> LAN is frozen for good - the LED lights (on the m/b i/o panel) stay
> on even though system is powered off or reset - it's only pulling the
> plug that turns off onboard lan led lights.
> There are no events in event viewer
> System freezes usually when running desktop applications i.e.:
> - typing e-mail in Thunderbird Mozilla
> - going through newsgroups messages with help of Agent News reader...
> - etc. etc.
>
> I've called ASUS support, not much help from them; the following
> recommendations were given to me:
> - remove SP2 from Windows XP
> - clear CMOS (remove battery + short Clear CMOS jumper)
> - flash BIOS with latest stable version 1007.3 again using floppy disk
>
> What is your take on that people?
> Oh BTW CPU temperature does not go oven 49 Celsius degrees when
> running heave benchmarks and 3D games, case temp. is not going higher
> than 31 Celsius degrees, nVidia GPU only reaches 63 when running
> games.
>
> /Technik
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2005 4:16:42 AM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:37:09 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

>What version BIOS? The German ASUS site has 1008.001 beta

I did not try this beta yet...(I'm on latest stable - 1007.3)
.... but I've separated my Logitech wireless keyboard+mouse combo from
iFeel Logitech mouse.. I've just put them on separete USB stacks... so
far so good. I'm knocking on wood...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2005 6:43:24 PM

"" wrote:
> [...]
> There are no events in event viewer
> System freezes usually when running desktop applications i.e.:
> - typing e-mail in Thunderbird Mozilla
> - going through newsgroups messages with help of Agent News
> reader...
> - etc. etc.
>
> I've called ASUS support, not much help from them; the
> following
> recommendations were given to me:
> - remove SP2 from Windows XP
> - clear CMOS (remove battery + short Clear CMOS jumper)
> - flash BIOS with latest stable version 1007.3 again using
> floppy disk
>
> What is your take on that people?
> Oh BTW CPU temperature does not go oven 49 Celsius degrees
> when
> running heave benchmarks and 3D games, case temp. is not going
> higher
> than 31 Celsius degrees, nVidia GPU only reaches 63 when

Not sure if you’ve fixed your problem yet but the random lockups and
freezes were bugging the frell out of me for a couple days. Looked at
a couple of other forums and luckily ran across the solution. The
problem (for me anyhow) was the Marvell Yukon Ethernet drivers. DO NOT
download the update from Windows Update. I switched drivers from v8.35
to v8.32 and have not had any problems so far.

You are far from the only one with this problem. Just do a google for
Marvell Yukon and system freezes and you’ll see plenty of others in
the same boat.

Hope this works for you.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P4P800-Deluxe-random...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=310613
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2005 5:18:18 AM

the default yukon driver from the asus support cdrom installs a
mini-port driver. I would not advise updating it through windows
update...
FYI

ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---