How to Ghost from IDE0 master and make SATA drive C:?

I'm running WinXP on the master of IDE channel 0 (C-drive).

Does anyone have a procedure for Ghosting to a SATA drive and have it
come up as drive C: after rebooting by either physically removing the
old IDE0 master or changing the BIOS configuration?

Just FYI, I have a P4P800SE motherboard.
6 answers Last reply
More about ghost ide0 master make sata drive

    Just did a W2003 server sorta like that, from IDE to SATA.

    I didn't use ghost, but I did cloan the IDE drive to the SATA drive.

    Plug in the imaged SATA drive, and unplug the IDE drive. Boot Windows.
    If Windows doesn't boot, put in the setup CD and boot from it. Do
    not select repair, select Install Windows. Windows should detect your
    this point, select repair.

    At the end of this, you will be missing patches so you'll want to go to
    windows update and re-install all the updates.

    At this point Windows will know that the SATA Drive is C:. You should
    be able to plug in your IDE drive and have it come up as D: if you
    desire.

    Probably several other ways to do this.

    Will I lose my installed apps if I do this?

    edavid3001@gmail.com wrote:
    > Just did a W2003 server sorta like that, from IDE to SATA.
    >
    > I didn't use ghost, but I did cloan the IDE drive to the SATA drive.
    >
    > Plug in the imaged SATA drive, and unplug the IDE drive. Boot Windows.
    > If Windows doesn't boot, put in the setup CD and boot from it. Do
    > not select repair, select Install Windows. Windows should detect your
    > this point, select repair.
    >
    > At the end of this, you will be missing patches so you'll want to go to
    > windows update and re-install all the updates.
    >
    > At this point Windows will know that the SATA Drive is C:. You should
    > be able to plug in your IDE drive and have it come up as D: if you
    > desire.
    >
    > Probably several other ways to do this.

    Yes , it works. You have to ghost the boot IDE drive to an image on another
    IDE/SATA hard disk or CD/DVD. Then, connect the SATA drive. Disconnect the
    original boot hard disk. Use Ghost on a Floppy to restore image from the
    hard disk (CD/DVD) to the newly installed SATA drive. It will turn up as
    drive C, complete with all programs etc. To do this safely, I use 3 hard
    disks, and preserves the original IDE drive untill all works. The procedure
    does not work when IDE drives run in enhanced mode in BIOS, at least not
    with GOST 2003. This is easely fixed in BIOS.
    HT
    "Pat Coghlan" <info@coghlan.ca> skrev i melding
    > I'm running WinXP on the master of IDE channel 0 (C-drive).
    >
    > Does anyone have a procedure for Ghosting to a SATA drive and have it come
    > up as drive C: after rebooting by either physically removing the old IDE0
    > master or changing the BIOS configuration?
    >
    > Just FYI, I have a P4P800SE motherboard.

    I wonder if the problem was that I used the Ghost "copy drive" function?
    I don't think drive letters are stored anywhere on a drive, but I
    could never get away from the SATA drive being recognized a drive F:,
    even when I eventually had the original boot IDE drive disconnected. I
    guess Windows must have set a registry key (DOSDEVICE?) which persisted
    even when I eventually had just the SATA drive connected.

    Clearly, it's important to get all the steps exactly right when doing this.

    What is the rule that Windows uses to determine whether the partition
    that it booted from is C: or some other letter?

    -Pat

    Harald Trasti wrote:
    > Yes , it works. You have to ghost the boot IDE drive to an image on another
    > IDE/SATA hard disk or CD/DVD. Then, connect the SATA drive. Disconnect the
    > original boot hard disk. Use Ghost on a Floppy to restore image from the
    > hard disk (CD/DVD) to the newly installed SATA drive. It will turn up as
    > drive C, complete with all programs etc. To do this safely, I use 3 hard
    > disks, and preserves the original IDE drive untill all works. The procedure
    > does not work when IDE drives run in enhanced mode in BIOS, at least not
    > with GOST 2003. This is easely fixed in BIOS.
    > HT
    > "Pat Coghlan" <info@coghlan.ca> skrev i melding
    >
    >>I'm running WinXP on the master of IDE channel 0 (C-drive).
    >>
    >>Does anyone have a procedure for Ghosting to a SATA drive and have it come
    >>up as drive C: after rebooting by either physically removing the old IDE0
    >>master or changing the BIOS configuration?
    >>
    >>Just FYI, I have a P4P800SE motherboard.

    Windows has hidden information that is stored on the hard drive.

    The key is this; after you copy the ghost from the IDE to the SATA,
    remove the IDE and boot to the SATA. Windows will go through a process
    that makes the SATA F: turn into C:. Then you can add the IDE back.

    Make sure your boot order is SATA first, then PATA.

    At least that has been my experience with ASUS & XP/2003.

    "Pat Coghlan" <info@coghlan.ca> wrote in message
    > I'm running WinXP on the master of IDE channel 0 (C-drive).
    >
    > Does anyone have a procedure for Ghosting to a SATA drive and have it
    > come up as drive C: after rebooting by either physically removing the
    > old IDE0 master or changing the BIOS configuration?
    >
    > Just FYI, I have a P4P800SE motherboard.

    Make sure you install the drivers for the SATA controller inside WinXP
    before you ghost the drive.

Asus SATA Motherboards