Does the ASUS P5WD2 Premium contain eSATA external ports?

anna

Does the ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard incorporate the new external eSATA
ports, and if so, could anyone relate their experience with them? Thanks.
Anna

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:32:41 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:

>Does the ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard incorporate the new external eSATA
>ports, and if so, could anyone relate their experience with them? Thanks.
>Anna

I have purchased the P5WD2 Premium mobo and it does have one external
SATA port, although I have never used it.

BTW, this is a most awesome board. The PC6400 ram is a bit pricey,
and currently only 512MB chips are available, but other than that....
this will probably be the last motherboard I will ever have to buy
(I'm 62 years old). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

anna

"Richard E. Braunstein" <whoizzy@whereizzy.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:32:41 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:
>
>>Does the ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard incorporate the new external eSATA
>>ports, and if so, could anyone relate their experience with them? Thanks.
>>Anna

> I have purchased the P5WD2 Premium mobo and it does have one external
> SATA port, although I have never used it.
>
> BTW, this is a most awesome board. The PC6400 ram is a bit pricey,
> and currently only 512MB chips are available, but other than that....
> this will probably be the last motherboard I will ever have to buy
> (I'm 62 years old). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks, Richard. But what I want to know is whether its the new eSATA
external port, or is it the "old, original" SATA connector. Thanks again.
Anna

Paul

Splendid

In article <LdidnXKMW5gdmpPeRVn-pQ@adelphia.com>, "Anna"
<myname@myisp.net> wrote:

> "Richard E. Braunstein" <whoizzy@whereizzy.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:32:41 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Does the ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard incorporate the new external eSATA
> >>ports, and if so, could anyone relate their experience with them? Thanks.
> >>Anna
>

> > I have purchased the P5WD2 Premium mobo and it does have one external
> > SATA port, although I have never used it.
> >
> > BTW, this is a most awesome board. The PC6400 ram is a bit pricey,
> > and currently only 512MB chips are available, but other than that....
> > this will probably be the last motherboard I will ever have to buy
> > (I'm 62 years old). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
>

> Thanks, Richard. But what I want to know is whether its the new eSATA
> external port, or is it the "old, original" SATA connector. Thanks again.
> Anna

PDF page 25 has a picture of an external SATA connector
http://www.serialata.org/docs/SATA%20II%20CabCon%20Vol%202_Gold.pdf

This review...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=202&pid=3

has a picture of the I/O area of the P5WD2 Premium...

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/202/ASUS_P5WD2_Premium_RearIO.jpg

I cannot tell if they are an exact match, but it looks pretty close.

Here are a couple of pictures of some cable ends. The first one,
the Esata, looks like it would mate with the Asus connector.

http://www.usb-ware.com/images/esata-large.gif
http://www.usb-ware.com/images/sata-i-large.gif

Paul

anna

> PDF page 25 has a picture of an external SATA connector
> http://www.serialata.org/docs/SATA%20II%20CabCon%20Vol%202_Gold.pdf
>
> This review...
>
> http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=202&pid=3
>
> has a picture of the I/O area of the P5WD2 Premium...
>
> http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/202/ASUS_P5WD2_Premium_RearIO.jpg
>
> I cannot tell if they are an exact match, but it looks pretty close.
>
> Here are a couple of pictures of some cable ends. The first one,
> the Esata, looks like it would mate with the Asus connector.
>
> http://www.usb-ware.com/images/esata-large.gif
> http://www.usb-ware.com/images/sata-i-large.gif
>
> Paul

Paul:
Many thanks for the info & the links. I'm still not certain (from the pics)
whether the P5WD2 Premium is equipped with the eSATA external connector;
however, a friend of mine just ordered that MB so I should find out
definitively shortly. When I do, I'll post the info to this newsgroup.
Thanks again.
Anna

I'm not sure it matters. I think the eSATA port is on the back, which
means it isn't all that convenient for transient use for things like
backing up the PC. You may want to put your own eSATA port on the
front of an unused drive bay, and plug one of the 3.0 Gbps SATA II
cables into it.

Craig

TRENDING THREADS