how to create a hotel like wireless setup

I went to a hotel that had wireles and the setup was that you just started
your own laptop and tried to browse, this directed you to a login page where
you entered the number the desk gave you and then you weere good to go.
I'm sure it's old news to most of you but I had never seen it before and
though it was really useful so I would like to implement that at my
workplace for waiting customers.
How is that done and with what equipment?

>> would like to implement that at my workplace for waiting customers. <<

where are you located?

In Austin, TX there are clubs that will assist you in doing this.

See http://Austinwireless.net for a sample of what's available

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

>> would like to implement that at my workplace for waiting customers. <<

where are you located?

In Austin, TX there are clubs that will assist you in doing this.

See http://Austinwireless.net for a sample of what's available

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Its called a Hotspot Server,

http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/hotspot.html

This one is a Live CD
http://www.publicip.net/

"mmac" <no@thank.you> wrote in message
|I went to a hotel that had wireles and the setup was that you just
started
| your own laptop and tried to browse, this directed you to a login
page where
| you entered the number the desk gave you and then you weere good to
go.
| I'm sure it's old news to most of you but I had never seen it before
and
| though it was really useful so I would like to implement that at my
| workplace for waiting customers.
| How is that done and with what equipment?

thanks for the link,
I'm in the middle of california.

message news:ulxJyhwDFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> would like to implement that at my workplace for waiting customers. <<
>
> where are you located?
>
> In Austin, TX there are clubs that will assist you in doing this.
>
> See http://Austinwireless.net for a sample of what's available

you think it's a dumb question??

"Mungo Bulge" <NO.SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Its called a Hotspot Server,
>
> http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/hotspot.html
>
> This one is a Live CD
> http://www.publicip.net/
>
> "mmac" <no@thank.you> wrote in message
> |I went to a hotel that had wireles and the setup was that you just
> started
> | your own laptop and tried to browse, this directed you to a login
> page where
> | you entered the number the desk gave you and then you weere good to
> go.
> | I'm sure it's old news to most of you but I had never seen it before
> and
> | though it was really useful so I would like to implement that at my
> | workplace for waiting customers.
> | How is that done and with what equipment?

>> middle of california <<

Principals the same... the likelyhood is high that you have people in
the area that have wifi setups and can help.

Knowing more details, such as your location (metro, rural, specific) who
provides connectivity, how and to whom you want to distribute it, etc,
etc, would help.

The simplest approach is to simply buy a wireless access point set with
no WEP connected to your internet provider.

That said;

your internet provider has rules that you need to observe before you
distribute their service to the public

if your computers are using the same provider, they are vulnerable to
wifi access

....and others will probably post many more considerations ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

We have T1 for the lan and phone, we would get a DSL line to connect the
WiFI. One application is a church building and the other is a set of meeting
rooms. Not a large client load at all but it needs to be easy for the people
to use.
No connection to the building lan is a given.

The "Gee whiz" factor I liked was the way the access was granted, i.e. when
you connected with whatever patop you had, you were sent to a logon screen
and all you had to do was type in a code. No additional software was
required on the client. Maybe thats the norm but like I said before, this is
new to me.
I would prefer a Microsoft software solution (Radius?) but I am open to
anything. I just need to know how to make it work.

message news:%234CH8H8DFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> middle of california <<
>
> Principals the same... the likelyhood is high that you have people in the
> area that have wifi setups and can help.
>
> Knowing more details, such as your location (metro, rural, specific) who
> provides connectivity, how and to whom you want to distribute it, etc,
> etc, would help.
>
> The simplest approach is to simply buy a wireless access point set with no
> WEP connected to your internet provider.
>
> That said;
>
> your internet provider has rules that you need to observe before you
> distribute their service to the public
>
> if your computers are using the same provider, they are vulnerable to wifi
> access
>
> ...and others will probably post many more considerations ;-)

I still think your best bet would be ZoneCD. Setting up a free WiFi
Hotspot can be as easy as hooking up an access point, popping in a CD
and rebooting a PC equipped with a floppy (the whole system is on the
CD so the floppy is required to save configuration data). The Public
IP ZoneCD is what's known as a LiveCD. It does not install to your
hard drive. It runs right from your CD-ROM. The ZoneCD is Linux, but
you don't have to know anything about Linux to use the ZoneCD. You
just need to know how to place a CD in a CD-ROM, and turn-on a
computer, (in that order). And, the price is so affordable that if you
change your mind about giving your customers something to do while
they wait, you wont be out much money. Oh, did I mention it was free.
http://www.publicip.net/
http://www.publicip.net/zonecd/how.php
I think you should look at this, if only for its educational benefit.
That way you will know what it is you're after, and can make educated
decisions about how you are going to implement your solution.

".:mmac:." <lost@sea> wrote in message
| We have T1 for the lan and phone, we would get a DSL line to
connect the
| WiFI. One application is a church building and the other is a set of
meeting
| rooms. Not a large client load at all but it needs to be easy for
the people
| to use.
| No connection to the building lan is a given.
|
| The "Gee whiz" factor I liked was the way the access was granted,
i.e. when
| you connected with whatever patop you had, you were sent to a logon
screen
| and all you had to do was type in a code. No additional software was
| required on the client. Maybe thats the norm but like I said before,
this is
| new to me.
| I would prefer a Microsoft software solution (Radius?) but I am open
| anything. I just need to know how to make it work.
|
| "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote
in
| message news:%234CH8H8DFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| >
| > Principals the same... the likelyhood is high that you have people
in the
| > area that have wifi setups and can help.
| >
| > Knowing more details, such as your location (metro, rural,
specific) who
| > provides connectivity, how and to whom you want to distribute it,
etc,
| > etc, would help.
| >
| > The simplest approach is to simply buy a wireless access point set
with no
| > WEP connected to your internet provider.
| >
| > That said;
| >
| > your internet provider has rules that you need to observe before
you
| > distribute their service to the public
| >
| > if your computers are using the same provider, they are vulnerable
to wifi
| > access
| >
| > ...and others will probably post many more considerations ;-)
| >
| > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Excellent, Thanks for the help.
See , I wouldn't have gotten so complete an answer from a google search ;-)

> [...]
> in the
> | > area that have wifi setups and can help.
> | >
> | > Knowing more details, such as your location (metro, rural,
> specific) who
> | > provides connectivity, how and to whom you want to distribute it,
> etc,
> | > etc, would help.
> | >
> | > The simplest approach is to simply buy a wireless access point set
> with no
> | > WEP connected to your internet provider.
> | >
> | > That said;
> | >
> | > your internet provider has rules that you need to observe before
> you
> | > distribute their service to the public
> | >
> | > if your computers are using the same provider, they are vulnerable
> to wifi
> | > access
> | >
> | > ...and others will probably post many more considerations ;-)

In all fairness, I did give you a reasonable response to your
question. And for those readers of this thread who do not see
attachments as is my case, but not the case for .:mmac:., what is
being alluded to in the attached quote can be seen by doing an Image
Google search with the key words "Bart Google gif".
And yes .:mmac:., with all due respect, if I can find the answer to
your question with a simple Google, using key words from your post
only, you need to be reminded to do your homework.

| you think it's a dumb question??
|
| "Mungo Bulge" <NO.SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Its called a Hotspot Server,
| >
| > http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/hotspot.html
| >
| > This one is a Live CD
| > http://www.publicip.net/
| >
| > "mmac" <no@thank.you> wrote in message
| > |I went to a hotel that had wireles and the setup was that you
just
| > started
| > | your own laptop and tried to browse, this directed you to a
login
| > page where
| > | you entered the number the desk gave you and then you weere good
| > go.
| > | I'm sure it's old news to most of you but I had never seen it
before
| > and
| > | though it was really useful so I would like to implement that at
my
| > | workplace for waiting customers.
| > | How is that done and with what equipment?
| > |
| > |

Latest posts