Sign in with
Your question

Last response: in Windows 7
January 30, 2011 11:50:10 PM

Q:Just bought a new computer it has windows 7. I hate it. My old computer has xp pro. Is there any way to like virtually move my old harddrive from the old computer to the new one with all the settings, files, programs etc remaining the same? Can i move the windows 7 hardrive to a portable hardrive for safekeeping...?

A:If you move the old HDD to another machine, most likely you will have to re-activate Windows. The OS will not recognize the new hardware, and remember, all the drivers and such are still from the old machine.
You can remove the Win 7 HDD for safekeeping; if you intend to use that HDD as an external drive, you are better off partitioning it first; that way, the new partition will handle all the data you want to put on it, and the risk of inadvertently corrupting or infecting the Win7 installation is very low.

Q:o k but I want my old xp pro hard drive, settings, files EVERYTHING and xp pro os onto my new computer. What is "ghosting"? Can i ghost each hard drive with each operating system on it and save each one onto a large capacity exterior or portable hard drive, then install the xp pro onto my new computer?

More about : question

a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2011 6:08:16 AM

Please don't double post.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2011 12:17:08 PM

You don't want XP pro on your new computer. Win 7 is miles ahead and MUCH better than XP Pro.
You just need to learn how to use it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 370 $ Windows 7
January 31, 2011 4:58:07 PM

^+1, Win 7 is better, and there are many new computer that don't even have the hardware drivers for XP.

Live with it for a bit, you won't miss XP.
m
l
!