Capacitor replacement question

I have a bad capacitor that is 6.3v 1500uf, will a 6.3v 2200uf work
instead.

Thanks

<new@me.me> wrote

> I have a bad capacitor that is 6.3v 1500uf, will a 6.3v 2200uf work
> instead.

According to these guys:

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=faq

- I know one can replace a bad capacitor with another one, which is
- rated higher in voltage.

- I was wondering if this also holds true for farad rating...
- IE, a 1500uf cap went bad. Can it be replaced with a 2000uf cap?

-- A few problems can occur if the total capacitance of the filter circuit is changed.

-- 1) If total capacitance is too high, the turn-on surge current could be high
-- enough to trigger the OCP (over-current protection) in the ATX supply and
-- on the on-board regulators themselves.

-- 2) In this type of circuit, incorrect values can cause parasitic oscillation, which
-- will cause over-current, overheating and premature cap failure.

-- 3) Physical size limitations, 2200uf capacitors won't fit in the same area as
-- the 1500's!

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:49:14 GMT, "MasterBlaster"
<Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote:

><new@me.me> wrote
>
>> I have a bad capacitor that is 6.3v 1500uf, will a 6.3v 2200uf work
>> instead.
>
>According to these guys:
>
>http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=faq
>
>- I know one can replace a bad capacitor with another one, which is
>- rated higher in voltage.
>
>- I was wondering if this also holds true for farad rating...
>- IE, a 1500uf cap went bad. Can it be replaced with a 2000uf cap?
>
>-- A few problems can occur if the total capacitance of the filter circuit is changed.
>
>-- 1) If total capacitance is too high, the turn-on surge current could be high
>-- enough to trigger the OCP (over-current protection) in the ATX supply and
>-- on the on-board regulators themselves.
>
>-- 2) In this type of circuit, incorrect values can cause parasitic oscillation, which
>-- will cause over-current, overheating and premature cap failure.
>
>-- 3) Physical size limitations, 2200uf capacitors won't fit in the same area as
>-- the 1500's!

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I found an old board and pulled
a 6.3v 1500uf to replace the bad 6.3v 1500uf
Here is the odd thing about physical size, the 6.3 2200uf size was
physically the same size exactly height circumference as the 6.3
2200uf. The one I pulled from an old board 6.3 1500uf was the same
size in circumference but about half the height but it did have the
same listing on it that I needed 6.3v 1500uf. Well I put in the right
one even though it was shorter and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for all your info and I did that all your advice and use
the correct Cap.

MasterBlaster wrote:

> According to these guys:
>

> - I know one can replace a bad capacitor with another one, which is
> - rated higher in voltage.
>
> - I was wondering if this also holds true for farad rating...
> - IE, a 1500uf cap went bad. Can it be replaced with a 2000uf cap?

Maybe, it depends to the time. A 2200 would need longer to load, if it
is placed instead the 1500. But I don´t think that it will not work at
all. Maybe you have to restart the machine a second time, and then

> -- 3) Physical size limitations, 2200uf capacitors won't fit in the
> same area as -- the 1500's!

I have changed 4700 caps (somewhere in the AGP area). I have used two
caps, which were together approximately the same value as the orig.
small 4700 cap. 4700 I cannot get here to buy, and absolutely not in
such a small package as it was originally on the MB.
Well, it looks adventureous what I have soldered (two big cans) :) But
it works. Everything isolated etc. etc...

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic