XP Home - add hardware problem

My problem is when I try to install a new device from the
Add Hardware, a message appears saying CANNOT RUN TWO
DEVICE INSTALLATIONS, 'that it can only install one
device at a time and another device installation is under
way and to try this wizard again'. There is no other
device being installed. How can I find out what is
installing and terminate it since I am unable to install
any new hardware? I would appreciate any help or
suggestions. Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about home hardware problem

    I think i have two solutions:

    1:
    The easiest way to see if an installation is running is by rightclickin on
    your taskbar and selecting task manager, wich is a program, it pops up and
    there are a few tabs that you can scroll around in. Click on the process tab,
    then wait for the list to populate, you can organize the processes by
    clicking on one of the tabs directly above the names of the processes,
    "process, user name, session, etc." click on the user name so it will
    organize by "OWNER" or "SYSTEM" and "NETWORK SERVICE"
    If you've never used the taskmanager I would highly reccomend it for closing
    program that might be running silently, or programs that you cant see.

    Here is what I want you to do now that you have the manager opened, look
    around for any processes that might contain a certain name or part of a name
    that could be anything related to installing, or you're device. click end
    process, if there is another installation that starts up automaticly when you
    boot, and you cant see it this is the place to go. Dont worry if you end a
    process that you shouldn't have everything will start back up on your next
    boot.

    Solution 2: The problem might also be when you start the device application
    and want to install the software needed another comes up like maybe a
    different software installer from maybe a cd that came with the device.
    Heres another procedure that might help, get your devices packaging or box
    and read the instructions, sometimes you have to install the software before
    you put the device in your system. There might be an installer for your
    device maybe on a cd that came with your device. Use that one if you can.
    Check the task manager as you start to install the device, something might be
    linked to open up when you start the installation.
    If nothing above works the last thing you could try to do is start into safe
    mode and try to install. Normally you pres f8 rapidly while your computer
    starts to go to a screen with a list of boot options.

    Hope you get your problem fixed and that this was helpful.

    But the problem with two installers sounds to me like either the installer
    comes up at initial boot and crashes, so you never see it, or that when
    windows pops up the default installer it also pops up maybe a software
    installer that could come with the product.
    "Gaston" wrote:

    > My problem is when I try to install a new device from the
    > Add Hardware, a message appears saying CANNOT RUN TWO
    > DEVICE INSTALLATIONS, 'that it can only install one
    > device at a time and another device installation is under
    > way and to try this wizard again'. There is no other
    > device being installed. How can I find out what is
    > installing and terminate it since I am unable to install
    > any new hardware? I would appreciate any help or
    > suggestions. Thanks

    Thank you for your reply.
    I have already looked at the running processes and didn't
    find anything that migth suggest me it is an installation
    program. Is there any registry key that signals that
    there is a pending device installation process?

    Thank you.
    Gaston

Hardware Hardware Problem Devices Windows XP