Sysyem Standby ???

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Asus P5RD1-V
How do I stop the ps fan and case fan on system stand by.
I think its some to do with ACPI but not sure. Also where can I find what
all those bios settings stand for.
Asus dont explain it to good.
Thanks
Larry

Paul

Splendid

In article <it1Qe.2939$rS4.2729@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>, "LaRrY"
<2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Asus P5RD1-V
> How do I stop the ps fan and case fan on system stand by.
> I think its some to do with ACPI but not sure. Also where can I find what
> all those bios settings stand for.
> Asus dont explain it to good.
> Thanks
> Larry

First, look in Device Manager. Somewhere in there, it'll say
either "Standard PC" or "ACPI blah blah blah". Standard PC means
the non-ACPI HAL as been used. There are a few flavors of ACPI
hardware abstraction layer, and you want something with ACPI
in the name. As I understand it, you cannot change an OS install
after the fact, from Standard PC to ACPI. That may actually take
a fresh install, not really sure. (If ACPI was totally disabled
in the BIOS, that is how an install can get totally messed up.
In the past, there were some buggy Asus BIOS, where the OS
installer concluded that ACPI was busted, and did not use ACPI
HAL wnen installing as a result.)

If your OS install does support ACPI, then you can repair the
Standby functionality so that the fans go off. Basically you
are changing the Standby function from "S1" to "S3", otherwise
known as S3 Suspend To RAM (STR).

Go into the BIOS, look at section 4.5.1 in the manual, set
"Suspend Mode" to [S3 only]. I don't really know what the
[Auto] mode is supposed to be doing, but whatever it is doing,
is not enough. So try [S3 only] instead. Boot into Windows
as usual.

Get a copy of "dumppo.exe" from the Microsoft FTP server. It is
possible to do an "administrative override" with that tool.
You may have some trouble with this FTP site, and you may have
to try FTP via several different tools till you find one that
works. dumppo.exe is only about 13,072 bytes, not a big
download. (For an administrative override to work, I'm guessing
you need admin privileges in the OS.)

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

From a MSDOS (command) window:

   dumppo ps cap     # This dumps the ACPI object information
                     # It says whether S1 or S3 are supported
                     # If S3 is listed as supported, you do not
                     # need the following command.

   dumppo admin /ac maxsleep=S3  # This is an administrative override
                                 # command. It should add S3 to your
                                 # capabilities. Check with the "cap"
                                 # option again. If you want Hibernate
                                 # then use S4.

It is either minsleep or maxsleep, not really sure which
one is the key. In any case, using the cap option should
tell you whether S3 has been added to the list of
capabilities or not.

Once S3 appears in the list, then try Standby from
the Windows menu, and see what happens. The fans should go
off, and the +5VSB voltage that is still coming from the PSU,
will keep the contents of RAM in there. The computer is still
running in this state, but won't draw more than about 10 watts
of power (CPU, disks are off, RAM is only thing still on). To
do hardware maintenance inside the computer, wake the computer
and select shutdown instead. Then you can pull the plug or flip
the switch on the back of the computer safely.

To wake the computer, you could set "Power On By PS/2 Keyboard"
to [Enabled]. Any hardware device used to wake the computer, needs
to be getting power from +5VSB, in order to have enough power to
send a signal to the computer. For USB, there are USBPWRxx headers
on the motherboard, and one of those can be set to +5VSB, to
cause a USB device plugged into that pair of ports, to be powered
all the time. Your motherboard doesn't seem to have a KBPWR
header, which I guess implies that the keyboard and mouse
are already running from +5VSB. If you cannot wake the computer
by other means, try pressing the power switch on the front of
the case.

HTH,
Paul

[Posted this yesterday, but since I've been having some issues with my
newsreader the reply ended up in the wrong group. *grmbl*]

Paul schrieb:

> Go into the BIOS, look at section 4.5.1 in the manual, set
> "Suspend Mode" to [S3 only]. I don't really know what the
> [Auto] mode is supposed to be doing, but whatever it is doing,
> is not enough.

The outcome will depend upon the OS' energy settings then. I had to
search a while before I got Win2k to do S3 on my trusty P3B-F (which
only offers "Disabled" and "Auto") - selecting the right power profile
is the key. "Desktop" gave me S1 only, while with "Minimum power
consumption" S3 was used. At this opportunity I found the fairly nifty
application "Sleeper":
http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm

JFTR, a config in which S3 works with a P3B-F (1.04, 1005) and Win2k
SP4:
Radeon 9000 AGP, Catalyst 4.9
Realtek 8139 based NIC, some semi-current driver (6.18)
Promise Ultra66 w/ 2.00 b42 driver
1st gen Fritz!Card PCI (ISDN) disabled
Adaptec AHA-2940U2W w/ latest driver (d3.10)
Terratec DMX XFire 1024 w/ latest driver
Creative SB Live! 24-Bit w/ latest (original) driver

I was quite surprised that S3 works flawlessly, this was the first board
generation to support it after all. Only the poor Cheetah 36ES doesn't
seem to like it and behaves like after an emergency retract when
powering up again.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W