Sysyem Standby ???

Asus P5RD1-V
How do I stop the ps fan and case fan on system stand by.
I think its some to do with ACPI but not sure. Also where can I find what
all those bios settings stand for.
Asus dont explain it to good.
Thanks
Larry
2 answers Last reply
More about sysyem standby

    In article <it1Qe.2939$rS4.2729@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>, "LaRrY"
    <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > Asus P5RD1-V
    > How do I stop the ps fan and case fan on system stand by.
    > I think its some to do with ACPI but not sure. Also where can I find what
    > all those bios settings stand for.
    > Asus dont explain it to good.
    > Thanks
    > Larry

    First, look in Device Manager. Somewhere in there, it'll say
    either "Standard PC" or "ACPI blah blah blah". Standard PC means
    the non-ACPI HAL as been used. There are a few flavors of ACPI
    hardware abstraction layer, and you want something with ACPI
    in the name. As I understand it, you cannot change an OS install
    after the fact, from Standard PC to ACPI. That may actually take
    a fresh install, not really sure. (If ACPI was totally disabled
    in the BIOS, that is how an install can get totally messed up.
    In the past, there were some buggy Asus BIOS, where the OS
    installer concluded that ACPI was busted, and did not use ACPI
    HAL wnen installing as a result.)

    If your OS install does support ACPI, then you can repair the
    Standby functionality so that the fans go off. Basically you
    are changing the Standby function from "S1" to "S3", otherwise
    known as S3 Suspend To RAM (STR).

    Go into the BIOS, look at section 4.5.1 in the manual, set
    "Suspend Mode" to [S3 only]. I don't really know what the
    [Auto] mode is supposed to be doing, but whatever it is doing,
    is not enough. So try [S3 only] instead. Boot into Windows
    as usual.

    Get a copy of "dumppo.exe" from the Microsoft FTP server. It is
    possible to do an "administrative override" with that tool.
    You may have some trouble with this FTP site, and you may have
    to try FTP via several different tools till you find one that
    works. dumppo.exe is only about 13,072 bytes, not a big
    download. (For an administrative override to work, I'm guessing
    you need admin privileges in the OS.)

    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

    From a MSDOS (command) window:

       dumppo ps cap     # This dumps the ACPI object information
                         # It says whether S1 or S3 are supported
                         # If S3 is listed as supported, you do not
                         # need the following command.

       dumppo admin /ac maxsleep=S3  # This is an administrative override
                                     # command. It should add S3 to your
                                     # capabilities. Check with the "cap"
                                     # option again. If you want Hibernate
                                     # then use S4.

    It is either minsleep or maxsleep, not really sure which
    one is the key. In any case, using the cap option should
    tell you whether S3 has been added to the list of
    capabilities or not.

    Once S3 appears in the list, then try Standby from
    the Windows menu, and see what happens. The fans should go
    off, and the +5VSB voltage that is still coming from the PSU,
    will keep the contents of RAM in there. The computer is still
    running in this state, but won't draw more than about 10 watts
    of power (CPU, disks are off, RAM is only thing still on). To
    do hardware maintenance inside the computer, wake the computer
    and select shutdown instead. Then you can pull the plug or flip
    the switch on the back of the computer safely.

    To wake the computer, you could set "Power On By PS/2 Keyboard"
    to [Enabled]. Any hardware device used to wake the computer, needs
    to be getting power from +5VSB, in order to have enough power to
    send a signal to the computer. For USB, there are USBPWRxx headers
    on the motherboard, and one of those can be set to +5VSB, to
    cause a USB device plugged into that pair of ports, to be powered
    all the time. Your motherboard doesn't seem to have a KBPWR
    header, which I guess implies that the keyboard and mouse
    are already running from +5VSB. If you cannot wake the computer
    by other means, try pressing the power switch on the front of
    the case.

    HTH,
    Paul

    [Posted this yesterday, but since I've been having some issues with my
    newsreader the reply ended up in the wrong group. *grmbl*]

    Paul schrieb:

    > Go into the BIOS, look at section 4.5.1 in the manual, set
    > "Suspend Mode" to [S3 only]. I don't really know what the
    > [Auto] mode is supposed to be doing, but whatever it is doing,
    > is not enough.

    The outcome will depend upon the OS' energy settings then. I had to
    search a while before I got Win2k to do S3 on my trusty P3B-F (which
    only offers "Disabled" and "Auto") - selecting the right power profile
    is the key. "Desktop" gave me S1 only, while with "Minimum power
    consumption" S3 was used. At this opportunity I found the fairly nifty
    application "Sleeper":
    http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm

    JFTR, a config in which S3 works with a P3B-F (1.04, 1005) and Win2k
    SP4:
    Radeon 9000 AGP, Catalyst 4.9
    Realtek 8139 based NIC, some semi-current driver (6.18)
    Promise Ultra66 w/ 2.00 b42 driver
    1st gen Fritz!Card PCI (ISDN) disabled
    Adaptec AHA-2940U2W w/ latest driver (d3.10)
    Terratec DMX XFire 1024 w/ latest driver
    Creative SB Live! 24-Bit w/ latest (original) driver

    I was quite surprised that S3 works flawlessly, this was the first board
    generation to support it after all. Only the poor Cheetah 36ES doesn't
    seem to like it and behaves like after an emergency retract when
    powering up again.

    Stephan
    --
    Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
    PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Asus Fan Motherboards