debbie

My son's computer suddenly will not display wallpaper
pictures or open files, upon looking around it shows he
suddenly has ZERO memory. He has very little memory used
up on this 40GB computer...what happened? Would re-
installing Windows XP help or is this something that it
needs to go into the shop for? Thanks for any
insight...Debbie

Are you talking memory (ram) or hard drive space....? Not the same.

"Debbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son's computer suddenly will not display wallpaper
> pictures or open files, upon looking around it shows he
> suddenly has ZERO memory. He has very little memory used
> up on this 40GB computer...what happened? Would re-
> installing Windows XP help or is this something that it
> needs to go into the shop for? Thanks for any
> insight...Debbie

debbie

Sorry, I am so computer illiterate...but I'm guessing hard
drive space...I looked in My Computer and it shows C:drive
as having both zero total size and free space. When I
looked at the disk defragmenter it showed under his (C:)
drive Capacity: 0. I tried to use the system restore also
and it said there was not enough memory to run the
program, that it would need more memory and suggested
running the disk cleanup to free up more space, but when I
did that it showed only about 50b could be made available
with cleaning.

Is your son using Kaza or another P2P file swapping program
to download music? Very likely he is doing that, or
downloading porn movies and he has used up all the free
space on what is today a small hard drive. Also, the P2P
programs mean that there are probably a number of virus and
Trojan programs, some may have been reserved space for their
nefarious use.

Reformatting and a clean reinstallation would be the
quickest and easiest way to fix this. And some education
for your child.

"Debbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:200201c49d9c$3a6eb790$a301280a@phx.gbl...

> "Debbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:200201c49d9c$3a6eb790$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> | Sorry, I am so computer illiterate...but I'm guessing hard
> | drive space...I looked in My Computer and it shows C:drive
> | as having both zero total size and free space. When I
> | looked at the disk defragmenter it showed under his (C:)
> | drive Capacity: 0. I tried to use the system restore also
> | and it said there was not enough memory to run the
> | program, that it would need more memory and suggested
> | running the disk cleanup to free up more space, but when I
> | did that it showed only about 50b could be made available
> | with cleaning.
>

> Is your son using Kaza or another P2P file swapping program
> to download music? Very likely he is doing that

Very likely? speak for yourself or your own children.

>, or
> downloading porn movies and he has used up all the free
> space on what is today a small hard drive. Also, the P2P
> programs mean that there are probably a number of virus and
> Trojan programs, some may have been reserved space for their
> nefarious use.

Assuming P2P software is to blame is at best, a huge leap. I am
offended by your inaccurate view of all children as music pirating,
perverts and I think the OP would be too. How can you possible analyse
the described problem and jump to that conclusion?

> Reformatting and a clean reinstallation would be the
> quickest and easiest way to fix this. And some education
> for your child.

Re-installation is neither quick, easy or warranted and if anyone
needs an education, it appears to be you.

As for the OP's problem if the drive shows 0 total size it means that
windows is not correctly identifying the drive for some reason (even
though it is booting from it) I think this matter has more to it than
can be discussed here and you should contact the manufacturer if it is
under warranty or take the machine to your local computer store. The
total size is the drives capacity regardless of how much is used, it
should show as +- 40GB as that is the size of the drive. If it is
showing incorrectly all of a sudden it could mean the drive is failing
or any number of software errors.

If you had posted all the thread, you'd see that this was a
"sudden" and spyware, viruses and children using P2P all go
together. I don't think all children are perverts but a
great many do swap music, games and use P2P software, which
opens the computer to the world since it is an insecure
server application.

There may well be problems with the hardware, but software
is more likely to be the cause of the problem.

Let's take a poll, all the other people on this newsgroup
can vote, do kids often download software and invite Trojans
into a computer. Yes, or No.

Jim Macklin wrote:

> Let's take a poll, all the other people on this newsgroup
> can vote, do kids often download software and invite Trojans
> into a computer. Yes, or No.

That's so obvious that it barely merits a response, Jim. I tell
you "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes." Even if a teenager isn't using
Kazaa, he/she will still throw caution to the winds and download just
about anything and everything that his/her peers rate as "cool."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

curt

A resounding YES!!! You can't rule out some adults either.....though not
likely in this case.

--
Regards,

Curt,
'May the best of your past be the worst of your future'

> Let's take a poll, all the other people on this newsgroup
> can vote, do kids often download software and invite Trojans
> into a computer. Yes, or No.

Now I feel vindicated. I do hope they get their computer
fixed. And parents need to learn about computers, their
kids know about computers and password cracking, they just
don't have any sense.

"Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23OHDCianEHA.1304@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| >
| > Let's take a poll, all the other people on this
newsgroup
| > can vote, do kids often download software and invite
Trojans
| > into a computer. Yes, or No.
| >

| That's so obvious that it barely merits a response,
Jim. I tell
| you "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes." Even if a teenager
isn't using
| Kazaa, he/she will still throw caution to the winds and
download just
| about anything and everything that his/her peers rate as
"cool."

| --
|
| Bruce Chambers
|
| Help us help you:
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
|
| You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on
| having
| both at once. - RAH

Jeeze....didn't mean to open a can of worms here...

I should have mentioned that the computer has not been
connected to the Internet for about 6 months and was
working fine for a week before this happened. We were
just going to get him re-connected to the Internet the day
it happened so I'm not to sure about the downloading
theory.

While I know for a fact he doesn't download music, "other"
things are a possibility no matter how much he's been
warned. So I guess a virus is a possibility if it could
have been lying dormant all this time. I should tell you
that my son is 23 (handicapped)and Mom only has so much
influence.

So assuming a virus indeed caused the problem, would
reinstalling the Windows XP help or muddle things up even
further? Is that what reformatting means? Guess I'd like
to avoid a trip to the shop (which I'm guessing is
inevitable)if possible but with limited knowledge don't
want to make matters worse.

Thanks for all the input....

If you have clean backups of critical files, a reformat and
clean install will remove the gunk, but just reinstalling
Windows will leave the viruses and such in place.

It is possible to get unwanted stuff in the computer without
doing something "bad" but I do have a lady across the street
whose son is always downloading music, games and using Kazza
or other P2P and last week I removed about 600 files
identified by SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware. Your post seems to
fit that pattern.

| Jeeze....didn't mean to open a can of worms here...
|
| I should have mentioned that the computer has not been
| connected to the Internet for about 6 months and was
| working fine for a week before this happened. We were
| just going to get him re-connected to the Internet the day
| it happened so I'm not to sure about the downloading
| theory.
|
| While I know for a fact he doesn't download music, "other"
| things are a possibility no matter how much he's been
| warned. So I guess a virus is a possibility if it could
| have been lying dormant all this time. I should tell you
| that my son is 23 (handicapped)and Mom only has so much
| influence.
|
| So assuming a virus indeed caused the problem, would
| reinstalling the Windows XP help or muddle things up even
| further? Is that what reformatting means? Guess I'd like
| to avoid a trip to the shop (which I'm guessing is
| inevitable)if possible but with limited knowledge don't
| want to make matters worse.
|
| Thanks for all the input....

peter

HI,

Before you re-connected to the internet, have you :
1. run any antivirus software with updated virus definition?
2. enabled the XP firewall?

If both of the answer is no, your PC may be infected by virus/trojans.
Before you reformat the Hdd, I would suggest you to go to symantec.com to
have an on-line security and virus check. This is just to ensure whether your
PC is affected by virus/trojans instead of a hardware failure (which is very
unlikely as you can start and use the PC).

Peter

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Jeeze....didn't mean to open a can of worms here...
>
> I should have mentioned that the computer has not been
> connected to the Internet for about 6 months and was
> working fine for a week before this happened. We were
> just going to get him re-connected to the Internet the day
> it happened so I'm not to sure about the downloading
> theory.
>
> While I know for a fact he doesn't download music, "other"
> things are a possibility no matter how much he's been
> warned. So I guess a virus is a possibility if it could
> have been lying dormant all this time. I should tell you
> that my son is 23 (handicapped)and Mom only has so much
> influence.
>
> So assuming a virus indeed caused the problem, would
> reinstalling the Windows XP help or muddle things up even
> further? Is that what reformatting means? Guess I'd like
> to avoid a trip to the shop (which I'm guessing is
> inevitable)if possible but with limited knowledge don't
> want to make matters worse.
>
> Thanks for all the input....

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The fact that her second post shows it doesn't fit that pattern, should warrant an apology from you. Instead of being so critical by "guessing" what you *think* happened, why don't you just offer advice, or simply keep your right wing tactics to yourself!

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message news:ePkzEFbnEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> If you have clean backups of critical files, a reformat and
> clean install will remove the gunk, but just reinstalling
> Windows will leave the viruses and such in place.
>
> It is possible to get unwanted stuff in the computer without
> doing something "bad" but I do have a lady across the street
> whose son is always downloading music, games and using Kazza
> or other P2P and last week I removed about 600 files
> identified by SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware. Your post seems to
> fit that pattern.
>

> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Jeeze....didn't mean to open a can of worms here...
> |
> | I should have mentioned that the computer has not been
> | connected to the Internet for about 6 months and was
> | working fine for a week before this happened. We were
> | just going to get him re-connected to the Internet the day
> | it happened so I'm not to sure about the downloading
> | theory.
> |
> | While I know for a fact he doesn't download music, "other"
> | things are a possibility no matter how much he's been
> | warned. So I guess a virus is a possibility if it could
> | have been lying dormant all this time. I should tell you
> | that my son is 23 (handicapped)and Mom only has so much
> | influence.
> |
> | So assuming a virus indeed caused the problem, would
> | reinstalling the Windows XP help or muddle things up even
> | further? Is that what reformatting means? Guess I'd like
> | to avoid a trip to the shop (which I'm guessing is
> | inevitable)if possible but with limited knowledge don't
> | want to make matters worse.
> |
> | Thanks for all the input....

If she wants an apology, all she has to do is ask. If you
want to be vindicated you'll have to prove that an apology
is deserved because you demanded one. Or is that too right
wing for you?

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
The fact that her second post shows it doesn't fit that
pattern, should warrant an apology from you. Instead of
being so critical by "guessing" what you *think* happened,
why don't you just offer advice, or simply keep your right
wing tactics to yourself!

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:ePkzEFbnEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> If you have clean backups of critical files, a reformat
> and
> clean install will remove the gunk, but just reinstalling
> Windows will leave the viruses and such in place.
>
> It is possible to get unwanted stuff in the computer
> without
> doing something "bad" but I do have a lady across the
> street
> whose son is always downloading music, games and using
> Kazza
> or other P2P and last week I removed about 600 files
> identified by SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware. Your post seems to
> fit that pattern.
>

> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Jeeze....didn't mean to open a can of worms here...
> |
> | I should have mentioned that the computer has not been
> | connected to the Internet for about 6 months and was
> | working fine for a week before this happened. We were
> | just going to get him re-connected to the Internet the
> day
> | it happened so I'm not to sure about the downloading
> | theory.
> |
> | While I know for a fact he doesn't download music,
> "other"
> | things are a possibility no matter how much he's been
> | warned. So I guess a virus is a possibility if it could
> | have been lying dormant all this time. I should tell you
> | that my son is 23 (handicapped)and Mom only has so much
> | influence.
> |
> | So assuming a virus indeed caused the problem, would
> | reinstalling the Windows XP help or muddle things up
> even
> | further? Is that what reformatting means? Guess I'd
> like
> | to avoid a trip to the shop (which I'm guessing is
> | inevitable)if possible but with limited knowledge don't
> | want to make matters worse.
> |
> | Thanks for all the input....

> If you had posted all the thread, you'd see that this was a
> "sudden" and spyware, viruses and children using P2P all go
> together. I don't think all children are perverts but a
> great many do swap music, games and use P2P software, which
> opens the computer to the world since it is an insecure
> server application.

I'm glad to hear you don't think all children are perverts but jumping
to the conclusion that this problem is caused by filling a drive with
mp3s or by a virus is flawed and lazy analysis and rude to assume
someone's child likes to download porn. The poster stated that the
drive shows as 0 total capacity which a quick search of virus
databases shows, is not a symptom of any known virus (without other
more obvious symptoms) and although it is possible that the OP has
contracted a brand new virus it is more likely to be hardware or core
software failure

> There may well be problems with the hardware, but software
> is more likely to be the cause of the problem.

true, software does fail more than hardware but hardware does fail and
the symptoms of the problem point to the possibility

> Let's take a poll, all the other people on this newsgroup
> can vote, do kids often download software and invite Trojans
> into a computer. Yes, or No.

Do you have kids? I can't count the number of times mine have pointed
out to my technophobic wife that something she is about to do with a
computer will result in a virus download or similar potential threat.

Kids aren't the problem, uninformed people are and most kids are more
informed about computers than most adults. If you think the majority
of kids have no common sense and are a danger to themselves and others
simply because of their lack of birthdays you are heading for a rude
awakening, my friend.

> "I like toys and cake" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > "Debbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> | > message news:200201c49d9c$3a6eb790$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> hard
> C:drive
> (C:)
> also
> when I
> available
> | >

> | > Is your son using Kaza or another P2P file swapping
> program
> | > to download music? Very likely he is doing that
> |
> | Very likely? speak for yourself or your own children.
> |
> | >, or
> | > downloading porn movies and he has used up all the free
> | > space on what is today a small hard drive. Also, the
> P2P
> | > programs mean that there are probably a number of virus
> and
> | > Trojan programs, some may have been reserved space for
> their
> | > nefarious use.
> |
> | Assuming P2P software is to blame is at best, a huge leap.
> I am
> | offended by your inaccurate view of all children as music
> pirating,
> | perverts and I think the OP would be too. How can you
> possible analyse
> | the described problem and jump to that conclusion?
> |
> | > Reformatting and a clean reinstallation would be the
> | > quickest and easiest way to fix this. And some
> education
> | > for your child.
> |
> | Re-installation is neither quick, easy or warranted and if
> anyone
> | needs an education, it appears to be you.
> |
> | As for the OP's problem if the drive shows 0 total size it
> means that
> | windows is not correctly identifying the drive for some
> reason (even
> | though it is booting from it) I think this matter has more
> to it than
> | can be discussed here and you should contact the
> manufacturer if it is
> | under warranty or take the machine to your local computer
> store. The
> | total size is the drives capacity regardless of how much
> is used, it
> | should show as +- 40GB as that is the size of the drive.
> If it is
> | showing incorrectly all of a sudden it could mean the
> drive is failing
> | or any number of software errors.

True, computers are not VCRs or refrigerators. My kids are
23 and 35, the 23 year old uses my computer (his limited
account) just to check email and do eBay and my 35 year old
just bought himself another computer.
But like we both hope, maybe in all the fog of war, er
computer newsgroups, some truth may be found.

> [...]
| the symptoms of the problem point to the possibility
|
| > Let's take a poll, all the other people on this
newsgroup
| > can vote, do kids often download software and invite
Trojans
| > into a computer. Yes, or No.
| >
| Do you have kids? I can't count the number of times mine
have pointed
| out to my technophobic wife that something she is about to
do with a
| computer will result in a virus download or similar
potential threat.

| Kids aren't the problem, uninformed people are and most
kids are more
| informed about computers than most adults. If you think
the majority
| of kids have no common sense and are a danger to
themselves and others
| simply because of their lack of birthdays you are heading

| > |
| > | Very likely? speak for yourself or your own children.
| > |
free
the
| > P2P
virus
| > and
for
| > their
| > |
| > | Assuming P2P software is to blame is at best, a huge
leap.
| > I am
| > | offended by your inaccurate view of all children as
music
| > pirating,
| > | perverts and I think the OP would be too. How can you
| > possible analyse
| > | the described problem and jump to that conclusion?
| > |
| > education
| > |
| > | Re-installation is neither quick, easy or warranted
and if
| > anyone
| > | needs an education, it appears to be you.
| > |
| > | As for the OP's problem if the drive shows 0 total
size it
| > means that
| > | windows is not correctly identifying the drive for
some
| > reason (even
| > | though it is booting from it) I think this matter has
more
| > to it than
| > | can be discussed here and you should contact the
| > manufacturer if it is
| > | under warranty or take the machine to your local
computer
| > store. The
| > | total size is the drives capacity regardless of how
much
| > is used, it
| > | should show as +- 40GB as that is the size of the
drive.
| > If it is
| > | showing incorrectly all of a sudden it could mean the
| > drive is failing
| > | or any number of software errors.
| > |
| > |

> Jeeze....didn't mean to open a can of worms here...
>
> I should have mentioned that the computer has not been
> connected to the Internet for about 6 months and was
> working fine for a week before this happened. We were
> just going to get him re-connected to the Internet the day
> it happened so I'm not to sure about the downloading
> theory.
>
> While I know for a fact he doesn't download music, "other"
> things are a possibility no matter how much he's been
> warned. So I guess a virus is a possibility if it could
> have been lying dormant all this time. I should tell you
> that my son is 23 (handicapped)and Mom only has so much
> influence.
>
> So assuming a virus indeed caused the problem, would
> reinstalling the Windows XP help or muddle things up even
> further? Is that what reformatting means? Guess I'd like
> to avoid a trip to the shop (which I'm guessing is
> inevitable)if possible but with limited knowledge don't
> want to make matters worse.
>
> Thanks for all the input....

Sorry to turn you question into a debate on the morals of children.

Although I still feel this could be a hardware issue, if you don't
mind re-installing then give it a try. Boot from the WindowsXP CD and
perform a complete hard drive format and install, this will get rid of
any virus that may be present. It could also show up any hardware
faults as the drive will be completely checked when it is re-formatted
(though the drive can pass and still be failing) If all goes well and
I hope it does then that is it. However if all goes well and then the
system becomes unstable afterwards then it's a trip to the store, I'm
afraid.

debbie

Thank you so much for the info...I think we will give the
reinstallation thing a try and take it from there.

Let us know what happen on this same thread.

"Debbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2cd801c49db2$76cc8170$a401280a@phx.gbl...

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Jim Macklin wrote:
>>
>> Let's take a poll, all the other people on this newsgroup
>> can vote, do kids often download software and invite Trojans
>> into a computer. Yes, or No.
>>

> That's so obvious that it barely merits a response, Jim. I tell
> you "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes." Even if a teenager isn't using
> Kazaa, he/she will still throw caution to the winds and download just
> about anything and everything that his/her peers rate as "cool."

I don't know of a more effective method of filling a hard drive, either.
If it weren't for P2P, we could all probably do nicely with 30MB drives.

Or a video camera.