no wireless networks shown/need to activate encryption

I have just set my roommate's laptop up for wireless access to our DSL Access
Point. I encountered a variety of problems (it took me all day to get this
far). When I searched the 'net for solutions, I found plenty, but they all
involved changing security settings in "Wireless Network Connections."

When I open "Available Wireless Network Connections," nothing shows up in
the list, and "Advanced" is disabled. The computer recognizes the network
(it's listed on the gateway monitor) and has internet access (speed:
excellent). To accomplish this I had to disable the Encryption on the AP.

Basically, I want to er-activate the encryption, but I have to be able to
set my roommate's computer to get through it; I can't get that far if it
doesn't see any available wireless networks.

Can anyone help (sorry if I'm a little incoherent)?

bar

Not too sure what your problem is! Yes it's an incoherent message, however
try reading this following setup guide and see if it helps you to do
everything in the correct sequence.

How to wirelessly network a second or third computer without the expense of
a wireless router: or a router and a stand-alone wireless access point (WAP).

This is sometimes called an ad hoc wireless network. Building an ad hoc
802.11b wireless network using the graphical user interface in Windows XP
takes just a few minutes. Because it's powered by wireless zero
configuration, you won't need to run a single cable or hunt for an electrical
outlet! Add Internet Connection Sharing on the host computer and all
connected computers will be surfing the net wirelessly in no time at all.

We'll start with a single computer that already has a wired Ethernet
broadband connection to the Internet. Then we'll build the ad hoc wireless
network in three steps:

1.The first step will be to install an 802.11b wireless card in the main
computer and configure it as a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) wireless
connection.
2.The second step will be to install a wireless card in a second computer.
3.To complete the network and provide connectivity to the Internet, Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) will be enabled on the host.

As you read through the procedures below, note that the accompanying images
are captured from both the host and client computers and that the screen
shots of the host computer contain a silver title bar, while the client
computer screen shots contain a blue title bar.

Configuring the Host Computer
After you install an 802.11b adapter (such as an Orinoco or Cisco wireless
network card) on a computer, Windows XP will automatically detect the card,
install drivers, and display an icon in the notification area. If the
computer is in an environment where other wireless networks are in range,
Windows should display a list of available networks automatically. However,
if no wireless networks are in range, the wireless connection icon may
display a red “X� and may not automatically open a View Wireless Networks
window. To open this window, click the icon for the wireless connection.

Do not select an available network at this time if any are displayed in the
Available networks listing. If your computer previously connected to a
preferred access point, remove all preferred access points. This will ensure
that a connection is made only to the ad hoc network that you are trying to
configure.

Next, click the Advanced tab at the top of the window. Select Computer to
computer (ad hoc) networks only and clear the Automatically connect to
non-preferred networks box if it is selected. This setting, along with
removing preferred networks, ensures connection to the ad hoc network only.

Click the Wireless Networks tab again. Under Preferred Networks, click Add,
as shown in Figure 1. In the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, specify
a Network name (SSID). Use any name desired, but be sure to use it to
configure all computers. Note that the network type is already marked as a
computer-to-computer network and that this cannot be changed since it has
already been specified that a connection should be made to only ad hoc
networks.

Wireless Equivalency Protocol (WEP) settings are not being configured at
this time because it's easier to get an ad hoc wireless network running
smoothly before attempting to configure WEP data encryption. The decision on
whether or not to use WEP should be based on your environment. In most cases,
for optimum protection and security, after your ad hoc network is running
properly, you should return to Wireless Network Properties and specify WEP
settings.

After configuring the network name (SSID) in the Wireless Network Properties
dialog box, the new ad hoc network will be displayed with a PC Card icon to
designate that this is a computer-to-computer network.

Note the red X. When a second computer is in range and the new ad hoc
network is connected, the display changes to show a working
computer-to-computer network without the X.

Configuring a Client Computer Card in a second computer, the Wireless
Networks tab displays a list of in-range wireless access points or ad hoc
wireless networks, as shown in Figure 4.

The new ad hoc network is listed (and is identified by the PC Card icon).
Highlight the network name, and then click Configure. Because WEP will not be
configured at this time, click OK.

Sharing the Connection
Now that a successful ad hoc wireless network has been created, we'll set up
Internet Connection Sharing.
1.Open Network Connections on the host computer. (Click Start, click Control
Panel, click Switch to classic view, and then click Network Connections.
2.Click the connection to be shared, and under Network Tasks, click Change
settings of this connection.
3.On the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect
through this computer's Internet connection check box.
4.If you are not using a third party firewall and have not already set up
the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), be sure to check the box enabling
this feature. (Read more about why to enable ICF in an earlier column, Don't
Let the Defense Rest.)
5.Finally, optionally enable the setting to let other users control or
enable this connection.

After completing ICS configuration, the Network Connection window on the
host computer will display the original wired Ethernet connection and display
the status as Shared as well as Enabled. The Network Connection window on the
client computer will display the connection on the host as an Internet
Gateway.

The client computer(s) should now receive a private class, non-routable IP
address in the 192.168.0.* address range via DHCP from the host computer and
should have full Internet connectivity.

Configuring WEP
As connectivity has now been established successfully, the next step is to
return to Network Properties and configure WEP settings to ensure the best
security possible for the ad hoc network.

On the host computer, open the Wireless Network Properties dialog box and
select the Data encryption (WEP enabled) check box. Consult the documentation
provided by your wireless card manufacturer for the key format and key length.

Use the highest level of encryption possible (key length) that is supported
by your hardware and drivers. Using the latest drivers and firmware, Windows
XP actually automatically detects that this hardware only supports 64-bit
encryption and will not allow setting the key to 128 bit. Be sure that if you
use an ASCII network key that you pick random characters and letters that
can't be easily guessed. The final step is to use the same key and encryption
settings and configure the client computer(s). Note: for additional security,
consider changing the key on a regular weekly basis.

Instant Private Networking
Not only does ad hoc wireless networking provide a lower cost method to
share an Internet connection than a more expensive wireless router/router
plus separate access point solution, but it affords a fast and simple way of
establishing a means to share data and documents for groups with no external
LAN or Internet connection. With no available DHCP server, Windows XP
provides an automatic private IP address between 169.254.0.0 and
169.254.255.255 to network adapters. If you're sitting around a conference
table with a group of colleagues and find that everyone is in desperate need
of a Power Point presentation on an associate's computer on the other side of
the room, setting up an instant ad hoc wireless network can be the solution,
allowing everyone to copy the file to their computers over the wireless
network. You'll need to have the same workgroup configured with appropriate
permissions for file and print sharing, and you'll never have to wait again
to get connected to the Internet or a corporate LAN to receive copies of
urgently needed documents.

"d.form.d" wrote:

> I have just set my roommate's laptop up for wireless access to our DSL Access
> Point. I encountered a variety of problems (it took me all day to get this
> far). When I searched the 'net for solutions, I found plenty, but they all
> involved changing security settings in "Wireless Network Connections."
>
> When I open "Available Wireless Network Connections," nothing shows up in
> the list, and "Advanced" is disabled. The computer recognizes the network
> (it's listed on the gateway monitor) and has internet access (speed:
> excellent). To accomplish this I had to disable the Encryption on the AP.
>
> Basically, I want to er-activate the encryption, but I have to be able to
> set my roommate's computer to get through it; I can't get that far if it
> doesn't see any available wireless networks.
>
> Can anyone help (sorry if I'm a little incoherent)?

I guess I didn't state my situation clearly enough.

My gateway/modem/acess point is designed to brodcast wireless internet to up
to 216 computers. It is connected to my computer via ethernet. The 2nd
computer has access via a Microsoft wireless PC card. It has a working
connection, and can access the internet. However, it does not list any
wireless networks, so I can't use encryption. I would prefer not to leave
the computer that unprotected, but if I reactivate the encryption, the
computer cannot access the connection.

Basically, what I'm really asking is: Why aren't any wireless networks
showing up?

Also, the computer in question does not appear to have WZC - or, more
likely, I don't know where to find it. Otherwise it appears to be running XP
SP2.

"BAR" wrote:

> [...]
>

> "d.form.d" wrote:
>
> > I have just set my roommate's laptop up for wireless access to our DSL Access
> > Point. I encountered a variety of problems (it took me all day to get this
> > far). When I searched the 'net for solutions, I found plenty, but they all
> > involved changing security settings in "Wireless Network Connections."
> >
> > When I open "Available Wireless Network Connections," nothing shows up in
> > the list, and "Advanced" is disabled. The computer recognizes the network
> > (it's listed on the gateway monitor) and has internet access (speed:
> > excellent). To accomplish this I had to disable the Encryption on the AP.
> >
> > Basically, I want to er-activate the encryption, but I have to be able to
> > set my roommate's computer to get through it; I can't get that far if it
> > doesn't see any available wireless networks.
> >
> > Can anyone help (sorry if I'm a little incoherent)?

WZC is a Service, Wireless Zero Configuration. If you open the Control
Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and take the elevator to the
ground floor, WZC is between Windows Installer and WMI Performance
Adapter.
One thing you didn't mention, is whether or not the laptop is a
personal one or a corporate one. Corporate laptops tend to be locked
down, so some services/features may not be available.
If WZC is not running (started) there may have been a not in your view
wireless network connection indicating that windows cannot configure
this wireless connection etc. it will also refer to a KB article
871122 on information about starting WZC.
WZC usually gets stopped when we use the software that was supplied by
the wireless NIC manufacturer.

Instead of opening 'Available Wireless Network Connections' try your
(?)Wireless WLAN Card Utility (that's what mine is called, yours will
be different unless its a Dell). Check it to see if it has a option to
'Let this tool handle your wireless settings' or the opposite. If
there is an indication that this utility is in control, then this is
where to configure WEP, or else tell the utility to let WZC have
control by disabling the utility.