RP

I had two drives in my pc: a CD-RW and a DVD rom. I took
out the CD-RW and put in its place a DVD-RW. Now, neither
of the drives work. Also, in windows explorer, only one
drive, D:, is showing, and E: seems to have vanished.
Also, device manager is only showing one DVD drive, not
both, and windows isn't picking up the new drive as new
hardware. Can anyone help please?

Have you set the jumpers on the drives correctly, one
needs to be master the other slave if you are using them
both on one ide cable (or 'cable select' if your using
newer eide cable, it has thinner wires, 80 instead of 40)?

Have you detected both of them in your BIOS?

"rp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had two drives in my pc: a CD-RW and a DVD rom. I took
> out the CD-RW and put in its place a DVD-RW. Now, neither
> of the drives work. Also, in windows explorer, only one
> drive, D:, is showing, and E: seems to have vanished.
> Also, device manager is only showing one DVD drive, not
> both, and windows isn't picking up the new drive as new
> hardware. Can anyone help please?

IDE drives which are on the same channel (which yours probably are)
require one drive to be set to master and one to slave. I would guess
that the CDRW you removed was set to slave and the new DVDRW will be
set to master by default so you now have two masters on the same
channel which is causing your problem.

You need to check the back of the drives where the cables attach and
you will see some jumpers (plastic things on little copper pins) you
need to make sure that one is set to master and one is set to slave
(consult the manual for the correct place to put the jumper)

RP

only have one slot on each of the drives where they can
go. can you please explain to me how i set my drives to
master and slave? thanks for your help, much appreciated.

>hello, and thanks. I've had a look and the "jumpers"
> only have one slot on each of the drives where they can
> go. can you please explain to me how i set my drives to
> master and slave? thanks for your help, much appreciated.

This site should answer your questions, it shows hard drives but the
procedure is the same for CD/DVD
http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml

Basically though

On the back of the drive next to where the ribbon cable attaches will
be a set of copper pins (usually 8) two of these will have a small
plastic covered jumper across them (usually black or green plastic)
there are three setting for the drive, master, slave and cable select
and this is set by putting this jumper across two of the 8 pins.

There may be, either stamped into the metal of the drive or on a
sticker, the words master, slave and cable select or simply the
letters M, S and CS which line up with pins to show you which 2 to put
the jumper across or there may be a diagram sticker on the drive
showing which 2 to put the jumper across.

Assuming both drives are connected with one ribbon cable (i.e both on
the same IDE channel) you need to set 1 to master (I suggest this is
the DVD-RW) and the other one to slave.

into all of what you said tomorrow as I've been on my pc
for seven hours trying to sort this out and I've got a
massive headache. I'll post a reply tomorrow with how I
got on. thanks again.
RP.