infrared - - - setting com port

i have a motherboard that has irda built in which
connects to the transmiter on the front of my case (no
usb or serial).
but in device manager it says " location: internal port"
can i change this to a com port as all the programs i
want to use need com port 1-4 and cant find it.
i know the irda is working as i can send things to my
mobile using the windows transfer boxes that pop up.

thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about infrared setting port

    Hi,

    You should read he mobo user manual for the IR device settings in BIOS.

    Peter

    lee wrote:
    > i have a motherboard that has irda built in which
    > connects to the transmiter on the front of my case (no
    > usb or serial).
    > but in device manager it says " location: internal port"
    > can i change this to a com port as all the programs i
    > want to use need com port 1-4 and cant find it.
    > i know the irda is working as i can send things to my
    > mobile using the windows transfer boxes that pop up.
    >
    > thanks in advance

    In Win98 for example, a DUN-type connection using Irda protocol could be
    established and a COM port specified. Don't know what XP does since I
    don't have IR, but this site might help.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313422&sd=tech

Comm Port Infrared Windows XP