infrared - - - setting com port

lee

i have a motherboard that has irda built in which
connects to the transmiter on the front of my case (no
usb or serial).
but in device manager it says " location: internal port"
can i change this to a com port as all the programs i
want to use need com port 1-4 and cant find it.
i know the irda is working as i can send things to my
mobile using the windows transfer boxes that pop up.

thanks in advance

peter

Hi,

You should read he mobo user manual for the IR device settings in BIOS.

Peter

lee wrote:
> i have a motherboard that has irda built in which
> connects to the transmiter on the front of my case (no
> usb or serial).
> but in device manager it says " location: internal port"
> can i change this to a com port as all the programs i
> want to use need com port 1-4 and cant find it.
> i know the irda is working as i can send things to my
> mobile using the windows transfer boxes that pop up.
>
> thanks in advance

In Win98 for example, a DUN-type connection using Irda protocol could be
established and a COM port specified. Don't know what XP does since I
don't have IR, but this site might help.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313422&sd=tech