Boot up does not reconise it any more after more RAM

After I installed more ram, the boot up does not reconise
it any more, now I'm stuck with 64 mb , is there any way
to fix boot up to see this?
7 answers Last reply
More about boot reconise more

    Rusty, reseat the ram in the slot. Move to another slot if available.
    "Rusty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After I installed more ram, the boot up does not reconise
    > it any more, now I'm stuck with 64 mb , is there any way
    > to fix boot up to see this?

    Rich I done that already, but to no avail, will not
    reconise it at all, It error out at some time but it is
    gone now.

    I am curious what motherboard this is. If you only had 64 MB of system
    memory, it may not be able to handle single sided memory chips or
    whatever type of memory chip you put in there. Try taking out the old
    memory chip, put the new one in the slot the old one was in and try
    booting up.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    > Rich I done that already, but to no avail, will not
    > reconise it at all, It error out at some time but it is
    > gone now.

    Hi,

    What kind of ram sticks and what is the brand and model of your mobo?
    Have you updated the BIOS as well as the chipset drivers?

    Peter

    "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

    > Rich I done that already, but to no avail, will not
    > reconise it at all, It error out at some time but it is
    > gone now.

    It's a Intel 86 K 350 mhz,PC 100, It has 3 slots in it,it
    did have 128 mbs originally, but I needed more ram, so I
    put another stick of 128, I have switch the sticks around,
    and try them by them selfs, i try everything I know of ,
    execpt canhging the mother board out.

    Hi Peter The mobo is a intel 86 K, PC 100, I don't
    remember what sticks they are, they are still in the
    machine, I look at the system device manager and didn't
    see any drivers for this use,And no I didn't mess with the
    bios Fearing a back lash from this old machine.plus I
    don't know about messing with the bios.

    Rusty wrote:
    > After I installed more ram, the boot up does not reconise
    > it any more, now I'm stuck with 64 mb , is there any way
    > to fix boot up to see this?

    It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
    compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
    already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
    switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
    configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
    manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
    requirements.

    If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
    manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
    utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

    SiSoft's Sandra
    http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

    Belarc Advisor

    Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
    http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

    Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
    to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
    computer and/or motherboard.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: