Setting up a wired/wireless network at home.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
February 9, 2005 11:15:02 PM

I am trying to set up a wired/wireless network. I have a Sony Vaio desktop
with a Realtek RTL8139/810x ethernet card. I am on the Yahoo DSL connection
to the internet which connects to the Realtek card through a Linksys
Broadband Router WRT54G. I have a wireless Linksys card in my Dell Inspirion
lap top. I can access the internet through a shared connection wirelessly on
my laptop. Following instructions on how to enable file and printer sharing
from Microsoft I get to select network component type and I am told to double
click "Service". When I do this I get a popup message, Select Device, telling
me that Windows is unable to find a driver for this device. What I don't know
is what device they are talking about. Are they talking about my Realtek card
or some other device. If it is my Realtek card I am having trouble finding
drivers on it on the Net. Please any help will be greatly appreciated.
--
Jack learning something new everyday.
Anonymous

I believe you are referring to installing Client For MS Networks through the
Networking Control Panel applet.
Could you please post the instructions, as I do not know what you exactly
talking about. However,
most machines are by default set up for File and Printer sharing, but you
must configure them to be part of the same Workgroup (and have the same
accounts & passwords on each).
This is from the BroadBand section of Microsoft, but it will also apply to
you in regards to creating a Workgroup so that you can share files and
printers with other computers:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...

Please post again if this is not clear.

--