USB 2.0 problem

DrEvil

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2005

I have built my computer with ASUS P5GD1 board and it comes with intel
82801FB/FBM USB 2.0 chipset. The driver directions I get from the product CD
that came with the MB say that the USB 2.0 driver is included with Windows
XP SP1 and later. Problem I'm having is that my USB external Hard Drive
reports it as NON USB 2.0 port and complains that the performance of it will
be improved if it's connected to a USB 2.0 port. Now when I check it out in
Hardware Properties, it doesn't say anywhere if it's USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 .
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Paul

Splendid

In article <QYpQe.32468$Hk.24073@pd7tw1no>, "DrEvil" <norad2@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have built my computer with ASUS P5GD1 board and it comes with intel
> 82801FB/FBM USB 2.0 chipset. The driver directions I get from the product CD
> that came with the MB say that the USB 2.0 driver is included with Windows
> XP SP1 and later. Problem I'm having is that my USB external Hard Drive
> reports it as NON USB 2.0 port and complains that the performance of it will
> be improved if it's connected to a USB 2.0 port. Now when I check it out in
> Hardware Properties, it doesn't say anywhere if it's USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 .
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Tom

With a modern motherboard:

0) Enter the BIOS and make sure USB 2.0 is enabled. The default
settings in the BIOS should have everything enabled for you.
If someone has messed with your settings, check them.
1) Install the OS.
2) Insert Asus CD and install at least the chipset drivers. On
Intel chipsets, the main benefit of the INF drivers, is the
hardware will be enumerated properly by Windows.
3) Check for "Enhanced" USB entry in Device Manager:

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

4) If BIOS is enabled, chipset drivers are installed, OS
is upgraded to your desired Service Pack, and there
is still no "Enhanced USB" entry:

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

Deleting the USB entries, will allow the OS to redetect
your hardware capabilities on the next reboot. If "Enhanced"
is in the Device Manager, it means the OS is ready to
entertain any USB 2.0 devices.

HTH,
Paul

DrEvil

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2005

Thanks a lot, it worked like a charm, I don't know, why I didn't check this
my self in the first place.
:)
Tomas