Asus P4g8x and Nvidia 6600GT

We can't get the P4G8X board to even boot properly with an Nvidia 6600GT

Tried bios setting 4x,8x etc

Has anyone else tried this combo, or have any suggestions?

TIA
1 answer Last reply
More about asus p4g8x nvidia 6600gt

    In article <cstQe.3567$9i4.1421@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, jerham
    <jerrham@pobox.com> wrote:

    > We can't get the P4G8X board to even boot properly with an Nvidia 6600GT
    >
    > Tried bios setting 4x,8x etc
    >
    > Has anyone else tried this combo, or have any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA

    Intel doc 25193802.pdf (search for 251938 on the Intel site), lists
    two errata for the 7205 chipset.

    ********
    1. tVAL(min) Timing Is Not Meeting AGP 3.0 Specification

    Problem: During simulation studies, it was determined that the AGP
    signals were not meeting the tVAL(min) of 1ns.

    Implication: AGP interface is susceptible to latching invalid data.
    Workaround: Minimum trace lengths for the AGP common clock and
    source synchronous signals have increased to offset this timing
    violation. Refer to latest platform design guide.

    workaround.

    2. AGP Prefetch Cache Must Be Disabled
    Problem: System hangs can occur during AGP transactions when the
    AGP Prefetcher is enabled.

    Implication: System hang.
    Workaround: Disable AGP Prefetch Cache by clearing bit 0 of AGP
    Miscellaneous Register (Device 1 Function 0 Offset A0-A3h).

    not affected by this erratum.
    ********

    The first errata can be fixed by changing the length of the AGP
    bus signals on the motherboard. The only question is, whether
    Asus would have received that info before the motherboard was
    designed. The doc was issued Dec4/2002. The Asus motherboard
    manual was issued Nov14/2002, which means there is a possibility
    the motherboard design wasn't corrected for that problem.

    If you search over on Abxzone, there are several threads about
    AGP 8X and P4G8X. Usually it is ATI 9700 cards that have trouble.

    In one of the threads, there was the suggestion of adjusting
    the AGP voltage a bit higher. Many of the threads mention running
    AGP 4X, with Fastwrite disabled, as a fix for general problems.
    The only suggestion I cannot agree with from those threads, is
    cleaning the AGP slot with alcohol. This problem is not caused
    by dirt. Better to drink the alcohol, than waste it on an AGP
    slot :-)

    Paul

Asus Nvidia Motherboards