SIMPLE QUESTION!?! please Hurry!!!!

I am trying to start up a new system I just built and the CD-Rom drive is
not being recognized. I have a maxtor ide 160 Gb drive connected to the
primary Ide bus and I have the cd rom drive connected to the primary raid
ide connector. Both drives are jumpered as master. What changes, if any do I
need to make in the bios.

Thanks in advance for any help....
2 answers Last reply
More about simple question hurry

    In article <yguQe.328403$s54.153895@pd7tw2no>, "cooldude"
    <topgun1@shaw.ca> wrote:

    > I am trying to start up a new system I just built and the CD-Rom drive is
    > not being recognized. I have a maxtor ide 160 Gb drive connected to the
    > primary Ide bus and I have the cd rom drive connected to the primary raid
    > ide connector. Both drives are jumpered as master. What changes, if any do I
    > need to make in the bios.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help....

    Many RAID chips do not handle ATAPI (CD/DVD) devices. Just slap
    that CDROM drive on the same cable as your Maxtor IDE, set them
    both to cable select, or do the master/slave jumper thing. IDE
    transactions rates are independent of one another, so the disk
    and the CDROM can use their own rate. Just make sure to use
    the 80 wire (thinner wire) cable for the connection, as it allows
    the hard drive to use the faster transfer rates.

    And next time, tell us which motherboard it is :-)

    Look in the manual for more info about ATAPI. If you download
    the PDF version of the manual from the Asus web site, you
    can even search for "ATAPI" with the text search. Beats
    the paper manual every time.

    Paul

    ooooops Sorry, the mobo is a P5GD1

    > In article <yguQe.328403$s54.153895@pd7tw2no>, "cooldude"
    > <topgun1@shaw.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to start up a new system I just built and the CD-Rom drive is
    >> not being recognized. I have a maxtor ide 160 Gb drive connected to the
    >> primary Ide bus and I have the cd rom drive connected to the primary raid
    >> ide connector. Both drives are jumpered as master. What changes, if any
    >> do I
    >> need to make in the bios.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help....
    >
    > Many RAID chips do not handle ATAPI (CD/DVD) devices. Just slap
    > that CDROM drive on the same cable as your Maxtor IDE, set them
    > both to cable select, or do the master/slave jumper thing. IDE
    > transactions rates are independent of one another, so the disk
    > and the CDROM can use their own rate. Just make sure to use
    > the 80 wire (thinner wire) cable for the connection, as it allows
    > the hard drive to use the faster transfer rates.
    >
    > And next time, tell us which motherboard it is :-)
    >
    > Look in the manual for more info about ATAPI. If you download
    > the PDF version of the manual from the Asus web site, you
    > can even search for "ATAPI" with the text search. Beats
    > the paper manual every time.
    >
    > Paul

Asus CD-Rom Motherboards