  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 29, 2005 6:19:10 AM

I am trying to start up a new system I just built and the CD-Rom drive is
not being recognized. I have a maxtor ide 160 Gb drive connected to the
primary Ide bus and I have the cd rom drive connected to the primary raid
ide connector. Both drives are jumpered as master. What changes, if any do I
need to make in the bios.

Thanks in advance for any help....

More about : simple question hurry

August 29, 2005 6:26:46 AM

In article <yguQe.328403$s54.153895@pd7tw2no>, "cooldude"
<topgun1@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I am trying to start up a new system I just built and the CD-Rom drive is
> not being recognized. I have a maxtor ide 160 Gb drive connected to the
> primary Ide bus and I have the cd rom drive connected to the primary raid
> ide connector. Both drives are jumpered as master. What changes, if any do I
> need to make in the bios.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help....

Many RAID chips do not handle ATAPI (CD/DVD) devices. Just slap
that CDROM drive on the same cable as your Maxtor IDE, set them
both to cable select, or do the master/slave jumper thing. IDE
transactions rates are independent of one another, so the disk
and the CDROM can use their own rate. Just make sure to use
the 80 wire (thinner wire) cable for the connection, as it allows
the hard drive to use the faster transfer rates.

And next time, tell us which motherboard it is :-)

Look in the manual for more info about ATAPI. If you download
the PDF version of the manual from the Asus web site, you
can even search for "ATAPI" with the text search. Beats
the paper manual every time.

Paul
August 29, 2005 6:38:06 AM

ooooops Sorry, the mobo is a P5GD1