Gabe Newell: No One At Valve Met with Tim Cook Last Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah seriously where is half life 3

I love valve, and im glad to see that they havent turned to the dark side (apple) but come on now, we all know your waiting for the next get to do half-life 3 but can we just get a screen shot of a gordon/alex combo so that i can ease these blue balls?

vision33r

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
The iPad is the cheapest Mac, it may not be a full desktop or laptop. It has iOS and it cost about as much as a PC.

The iPad gaming scene is generating revenue faster than the PC gaming scene. Even Epic Megagames admits that iPad > PC Gaming for $$

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
However, as troubling as that prospect may seem, it looks like this meeting might never have taken place. [Ed. Thank god]
Fixed! :)

[citation][nom]vision33r[/nom]The iPad is the cheapest Mac, it may not be a full desktop or laptop. It has iOS and it cost about as much as a PC.[/citation]
Well in that case the iPod Nano would be the "cheapest mac". Macs are desktop/laptop systems, and as much as i dislike working with mac os, it is still a full OS. not mobile crap.

and steam sells GAMES, not games. Steam-Apple would likely sell igames. Angry Bird is considered a AAA+ title in Apple's world, didn't you know...

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
"my classmate's step-aunt use to make $75/hour on the internet until she took an "arrow" to her vagina. ..."

Let me guess you are now doing her job?

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Now you're just confusing me. Hasn't it been clear for the past couple of weeks that Valve ISN"T working on a console, but instead on some kind of wearable computing device... whatever that may be? Have I missed something or has Tom's still not caught on to the facts (as stated by mr. Valve Employee over at http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/valve-how-i-got-here-what-its-like-and-what-im-doing-2/)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]sp0nger[/nom]Yeah seriously where is half life 3I love valve, and im glad to see that they havent turned to the dark side (apple) but come on now, we all know your waiting for the next get to do half-life 3 but can we just get a screen shot of a gordon/alex combo so that i can ease these blue balls?[/citation]

here doctors prescribed medication for blue balls

a pack of condoms , about 300 bucks, ,then enter one of those cheap seedy massage parlors in the down town areas of your local city ... blue balls will be relieved in roughly 1 minute to 1 hour depending on the patient!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sterimar[/nom]Where is Half-Life 3? That's the only thing I want to hear about Valve.[/citation]

its the launch title for what ever system they put out or whoever they are tied to.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Half-life 3 is an obvious launch title for the next gen systems, ie. xbox720 or PS4. There's no way in hell that Valve is going to end the series with an engine that is a decade old. And that will also give them the excuse of no longer supporting dx9 and winxp.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
When you look at the baskets Apple has it's eggs in, gaming has probably the fewest. Steve Jobs, if I remember correctly, was not all that excited about gaming and avoided getting Apple invovled in it. But if you're Apple of today, and you want to keep your company growing, you're probably looking at the success of gaming shovelware in your online store and want a bigger chunk. As a bonus, it would give them another area to compete with MSFT in.

That being said, I'm not so sure Valve and Apple would cooperate at this stage. Apple would probably want to start with some kind of exclusive gimmic; at minimum some A+ game available only on the AppStore, or at maximum their own console with its own exclusive launch titles (like Microsoft with the launch of the original Xbox). Valve, by comparison, would not be likely to take on the risk of developing a game solely for a platform that is not yet proven. Valve would likely prefer to have the option of porting their game at leat to PCs, if not to the consoles. Otherwise, Apple could just gamble a huge pot of money to get Valve's (or some other company's) cooperation, or at least their expertise.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I have trouble seeing Apple's very closed market approach to software development mixing well with Valve. One of the best things about Valve's own titles was the mods that kept the playable content coming way after the initial game was beaten and played through entirely. Counter-strike, team fortress and many others were all free mods at first and came from more of a homebrew or maybe more accurately modding type of scene. If the newest Half-Life title has anything to do with Apple, I see very bad prospects of open development kits and easy to use mods running on the new engine.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Not really excited about this really. Never like valve games (yes I known not liking HL2 or TF2 is blasphemy to the gaming gods) or apple products so from my point of view nothing good will come out of any collaboration between these two.

agatha666

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
sure Apple would like to expand their meager selection of games as Macs get popular.
hmp.gif

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tomc100[/nom]Half-life 3 is an obvious launch title for the next gen systems, ie. xbox720 or PS4. There's no way in hell that Valve is going to end the series with an engine that is a decade old. And that will also give them the excuse of no longer supporting dx9 and winxp.[/citation]
Not likely PS4, seeing as the marketing machine for Microsoft and Nintendo are in full swing and the guys over at Sony haven't even had a twitch from the R&D department.
More than likely a dual Xbox 720 / PC launch

Status
Not open for further replies.