a7v333 and wol

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2005 12:34:06 PM

Where is found the connector where to connect the cable of card 10/100
in order to make to work the wol?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thx Francesco

More about : a7v333 wol

August 29, 2005 2:17:18 PM

In article <2MzQe.113756$fm.7542590@news4.tin.it>, Malebolge
<malebolgeNOSPAM@alice.it> wrote:

> Where is found the connector where to connect the cable of card 10/100
> in order to make to work the wol?
>

> Sorry for my bad english.
>

> Thx Francesco

There are two standards for the WOL.

The old way, uses a connector on the network card, and a
connector on the motherboard. A cable is connected between
the two, in order for WOL to work.

The new way, as of PCI specification 2.2, requires no cable.
If you buy a PCI 2.2 network card, a signal has been added
to the PCI connector and the signal is called PME. PME
stands for "Power Management Event".

The PME signal is wired to all the PCI slots.
If you have five networks cards plugged into
the PCI slots, any one of the network cards can
assert the PME signal to the Southbridge.
And then any of the network cards can wake the computer.

+-----------> PME signal to Southbridge

PCI1

PCI2

PCI3

PCI4 <--- Plug in a PCI 2.2 version of network card
| in any slot. In the BIOS, you set
PCI5 "Power Up On PCI card" [Enabled] to make
the WOL work. Now, send the magic packet
to the network card. The PME signal takes
the place of the old WOL cable.

Note: The existence of "Power Up On PCI card" in the BIOS
proves the A7V333 supports PCI standard 2.2 and the new PME
signal.

Hope that helps,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2005 4:15:49 PM

Uzytkownik "Malebolge" <malebolgeNOSPAM@alice.it> napisal w wiadomosci
> Where is found the connector where to connect the cable of card 10/100
> in order to make to work the wol?

AFAIK this motherboard doesn't have a WOL connector. All PCI slots are PCI
2.2 compliant (so WOL works through the PCI slot). Therefore you need also a
PCI 2.2 compliant NIC card (supporting WOL but without any cable).

Adam P.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2005 12:58:43 AM

Paul wrote:
> In article <2MzQe.113756$fm.7542590@news4.tin.it>, Malebolge
> <malebolgeNOSPAM@alice.it> wrote:
>

>>Where is found the connector where to connect the cable of card 10/100
>>in order to make to work the wol?
>>

>>Sorry for my bad english.
>>

>>Thx Francesco
>

> There are two standards for the WOL.
>
> The old way, uses a connector on the network card, and a
> connector on the motherboard. A cable is connected between
> the two, in order for WOL to work.
>
> The new way, as of PCI specification 2.2, requires no cable.
> If you buy a PCI 2.2 network card, a signal has been added
> to the PCI connector and the signal is called PME. PME
> stands for "Power Management Event".
>
> The PME signal is wired to all the PCI slots.
> If you have five networks cards plugged into
> the PCI slots, any one of the network cards can
> assert the PME signal to the Southbridge.
> And then any of the network cards can wake the computer.
>
> +-----------> PME signal to Southbridge
> |
> PCI1
> |
> PCI2
> |
> PCI3
> |
> PCI4 <--- Plug in a PCI 2.2 version of network card
> | in any slot. In the BIOS, you set
> PCI5 "Power Up On PCI card" [Enabled] to make
> the WOL work. Now, send the magic packet
> to the network card. The PME signal takes
> the place of the old WOL cable.
>
> Note: The existence of "Power Up On PCI card" in the BIOS
> proves the A7V333 supports PCI standard 2.2 and the new PME
> signal.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Paul

Paul
You are Asus man. I got to ask, what do you do for a living?
!