a7v333 and wol

Where is found the connector where to connect the cable of card 10/100
in order to make to work the wol?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thx Francesco
3 answers Last reply
More about a7v333

    In article <2MzQe.113756$fm.7542590@news4.tin.it>, Malebolge
    <malebolgeNOSPAM@alice.it> wrote:

    > Where is found the connector where to connect the cable of card 10/100
    > in order to make to work the wol?
    >

    > Sorry for my bad english.
    >

    > Thx Francesco

    There are two standards for the WOL.

    The old way, uses a connector on the network card, and a
    connector on the motherboard. A cable is connected between
    the two, in order for WOL to work.

    The new way, as of PCI specification 2.2, requires no cable.
    If you buy a PCI 2.2 network card, a signal has been added
    to the PCI connector and the signal is called PME. PME
    stands for "Power Management Event".

    The PME signal is wired to all the PCI slots.
    If you have five networks cards plugged into
    the PCI slots, any one of the network cards can
    assert the PME signal to the Southbridge.
    And then any of the network cards can wake the computer.

    +-----------> PME signal to Southbridge

    PCI1

    PCI2

    PCI3

    PCI4 <--- Plug in a PCI 2.2 version of network card
    | in any slot. In the BIOS, you set
    PCI5 "Power Up On PCI card" [Enabled] to make
    the WOL work. Now, send the magic packet
    to the network card. The PME signal takes
    the place of the old WOL cable.

    Note: The existence of "Power Up On PCI card" in the BIOS
    proves the A7V333 supports PCI standard 2.2 and the new PME
    signal.

    Hope that helps,
    Paul

    Uzytkownik "Malebolge" <malebolgeNOSPAM@alice.it> napisal w wiadomosci
    > Where is found the connector where to connect the cable of card 10/100
    > in order to make to work the wol?

    AFAIK this motherboard doesn't have a WOL connector. All PCI slots are PCI
    2.2 compliant (so WOL works through the PCI slot). Therefore you need also a
    PCI 2.2 compliant NIC card (supporting WOL but without any cable).

    Adam P.

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <2MzQe.113756$fm.7542590@news4.tin.it>, Malebolge
    > <malebolgeNOSPAM@alice.it> wrote:
    >

    >>Where is found the connector where to connect the cable of card 10/100
    >>in order to make to work the wol?
    >>

    >>Sorry for my bad english.
    >>

    >>Thx Francesco
    >

    > There are two standards for the WOL.
    >
    > The old way, uses a connector on the network card, and a
    > connector on the motherboard. A cable is connected between
    > the two, in order for WOL to work.
    >
    > The new way, as of PCI specification 2.2, requires no cable.
    > If you buy a PCI 2.2 network card, a signal has been added
    > to the PCI connector and the signal is called PME. PME
    > stands for "Power Management Event".
    >
    > The PME signal is wired to all the PCI slots.
    > If you have five networks cards plugged into
    > the PCI slots, any one of the network cards can
    > assert the PME signal to the Southbridge.
    > And then any of the network cards can wake the computer.
    >
    > +-----------> PME signal to Southbridge
    > |
    > PCI1
    > |
    > PCI2
    > |
    > PCI3
    > |
    > PCI4 <--- Plug in a PCI 2.2 version of network card
    > | in any slot. In the BIOS, you set
    > PCI5 "Power Up On PCI card" [Enabled] to make
    > the WOL work. Now, send the magic packet
    > to the network card. The PME signal takes
    > the place of the old WOL cable.
    >
    > Note: The existence of "Power Up On PCI card" in the BIOS
    > proves the A7V333 supports PCI standard 2.2 and the new PME
    > signal.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    > Paul

    Paul
    You are Asus man. I got to ask, what do you do for a living?

Asus Connection Cable Motherboards