A7N8X-DX -- My DVD burner no longer shows up after update

My A7N8X has a Plextor DVD burner as master on IDE2. There is a hard
drive as master on IDE1 but I boot and run off SATA RAID-0 (two 120
drives). Every other day or so it reboots and comes back up with the
"serious error" messagebox. It finally bothered me enough to try to
update the IDE drivers, which I think might be the problem. It doesn't
seem to reboot anywhere near as often if I don't burn any CD/DVDs.

So I installed the latest nForce drivers off the nVidia site. Now the
DVD doesn't show up. It shows in the BIOS though. So I remove those
drivers and install the latest (2003!) ASUS drivers. Nope, still no
DVD. It's showing up in Device Manager with an ! and claims that it
can't install the device driver.

I remove the IDE drivers plus the Plextor CD/DVD entry in Device
Manager and install the trusty Windows default driver. Still no DVD
after rebooting. Very weird. I unplug the drive and reboot, then
reboot after plugging it back in. Still shows up as !.

I can't figure it out. Why doesn't the nForce drivers work, and why
can nothing now make that Plextor return?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:31:10 -0400, "Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca>
wrote:

>It could also be that your power supply did not provide
>enough current for an additional device.
>
>Check the voltages.

I suppose. But it was one of those that the folks over on
overclockers.com said was a good one. Well, it rebooted yesterday with
the generic PSU so the main problem still exists. I'll see if there is
a good sale on PSUs somewhere and perhaps replace it.

I don't think it had anything to do with the IDE problem. There's
something flaky about this machine and for all I know it's some weird
hardware thing that I'll never find. I REALLY don't want to reformat
this one. I use it as my web server and BitTorrent client. Maybe when
I have a spare week.

milleron

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:02:10 -0400, dgk
<sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:31:10 -0400, "Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>It could also be that your power supply did not provide
>>enough current for an additional device.
>>
>>Check the voltages.
>>

>I suppose.
If there were something wrong with the PSU, I don't see how in the
world a System Restore would solve the problem of the unrecognized
optical drive.

>But it was one of those that the folks over on
>overclockers.com said was a good one. Well, it rebooted yesterday with
>the generic PSU so the main problem still exists. I'll see if there is
>a good sale on PSUs somewhere and perhaps replace it.
>
>I don't think it had anything to do with the IDE problem. There's
>something flaky about this machine and for all I know it's some weird
>hardware thing that I'll never find. I REALLY don't want to reformat
>this one. I use it as my web server and BitTorrent client. Maybe when
>I have a spare week.

Ron

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:49:22 GMT, milleron
<millerdot90@SPAMLESSosu.edu> wrote:

>If there were something wrong with the PSU, I don't see how in the
>world a System Restore would solve the problem of the unrecognized
>optical drive.

Oh, I think that was a separate problem. The main problem was that I
dared to try to install nVidia drivers on an nVidia board. That was
solved by System Restore.