Replacing Motherboard Under Xp Home OEM

Hi,

My boxed Intel MB has become defective and is being replaced. Would
appreciate any advise regarding the replacement of the MB, while keeping my
Xp Licence valid and the installed programs intact.

TIA.

mpm

Replace the motherboard and do a repair install (assuming do not have an oem
version which is tied to the motherboard).

Here is instructions on doing a repair install

Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
www.hildrum.com

M.P.Mohan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My boxed Intel MB has become defective and is being replaced. Would
> appreciate any advise regarding the replacement of the MB, while
> keeping my Xp Licence valid and the installed programs intact.
>
> TIA.
>
> mpm

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I would like to clarify that mine is a
single-user, OEM Home Xp version (with XpCD, not recovery or any other CD)
but on an assembled system that has Intel 845GBV MB. First installation date
is nearly 2 years and has never been re-installed.

mpm
> M.P.Mohan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My boxed Intel MB has become defective and is being replaced. Would
> > appreciate any advise regarding the replacement of the MB, while
> > keeping my Xp Licence valid and the installed programs intact.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > mpm
>

> Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
> and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
> before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
> (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
> one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
> need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
> the very least:
>
> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
>
> As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
> important data before starting.
>
> This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
> Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
> than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
> you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
> problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
> call.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having
> both at once. - RAH

You can buy another D845GBV or GBVL mobo and should be able
to just swap hardware and it should boot up. If you upgrade
the mobo to a newer chipset such as the 865/875 you would
need to do a repair install.

| Hi,
|
| Thanks for the quick response. I would like to clarify
that mine is a
| single-user, OEM Home Xp version (with XpCD, not recovery
or any other CD)
| but on an assembled system that has Intel 845GBV MB. First
installation date
| is nearly 2 years and has never been re-installed.
|
| mpm
| "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in
message