K8N cool&quiet

aa

Hi,

I'm using a 3000+ in K8N w/ cool&quiet and ASUS smart fan feature enable.
All drivers and bios are the latest. However, although the chassis fan can
be set in the bios smart fan setup, it looks like that it will never slow
down or speed up even when the CPU is running either at slowest or at top
speed.

Would anybody how can I control the chassis fan speed? It is so noisy that
looks like it is always running at top speed.

Fred

Paul

Splendid

In article <431328dc$1@127.0.0.1>, "aa" <a.b@c.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a 3000+ in K8N w/ cool&quiet and ASUS smart fan feature enable.
> All drivers and bios are the latest. However, although the chassis fan can
> be set in the bios smart fan setup, it looks like that it will never slow
> down or speed up even when the CPU is running either at slowest or at top
> speed.
>
> Would anybody how can I control the chassis fan speed? It is so noisy that
> looks like it is always running at top speed.
>
> Fred

K8N is Q-fan and not Q-fan2. The difference is, Q-fan only controls
the CPU fan and no other fan speed. Boards with Q-fan2 control CPU
and chassis fan speed. (Q-fan2 is not properly documented from
this web page, but the manual for each board usually covers the
details of setting up Q-fan2.)

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/feature.htm

The CPU fan speed is controlled by the CPU temperature. On a
Q-fan2 board, chassis speed is controlled by the measured
motherboard temperature. Thus, the two fans on a Q-fan2 motherboard,
are not changing speed at the same time. The CPU fan responds
much quicker, while the chassis fan rises gently as time
goes by.

There are some 80mm fans that have their own temperature sensing
element. The product literature might mention "smart fan". Use
your favorite search engine and look for
"80mm fan" "temperature sensor" .

This Thermaltake Smart Fan II is an example:
http://www.thermaltake.com/dcfans/smartfan/a1357.htm

You can also get a fan controller like the T-Balancer:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041122/index.html

Finally, some power supplies have a couple disk drive
connectors that are labelled "fan only". The 12V output
of these connectors is controlled by the temperature
the power supply measures. When the power supply fan
speeds up, so do the fans connected to the "fan only"
power connector. You may need an adapter, to get power
from the "fan only" connector, to your chassis fan.

If you just want to permanently dial down the fan speed,
there are many rheobus (fan voltage reducer) products.
A single channel product is the Zalman FanMate2. It
adjusts the voltage to a fan, and works as long as the fan
doesn't draw a lot of current. Case temperature changes
don't affect the fan speed, so it is up to you, the
operator, to change the setting on this device, if you
think the computer case is too hot.

http://www.casecooler.com/casecooler/zalmanfanmate2.html

HTH,
Paul