HELP A8V Deluxe Start up Problem

I just got an A8V Deluxe motherboard and been having a problem in
starting up the computer.
When I press the on/off button, the system does go through the check
of equipment, and then just sits there, there is no bios boot and no
video
In order for me to get the bios to start it's boot and video, I have
to press the restart button once or twice.........then the bios boots
goes through all the equipment info, and I get one beep with the
message from the bios OverClocking Faliar........
I then press the F1 the bios goes into setup mode, I then press
F10 for save settings...........and then the bios re-starts normaly,
and my computer boot the OS.........no other problems.
I got the latest bios file from Asus, according to Asus Bios 1013 is
the first one that accepts my CPU, so I got both the 1013 and 1014,
use both and have the same problem, with the additional problem in the
1014 that it looses all input settings and reverts to defaul settings
wthich does not happen in the 1013.

My System
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400
1024 DDR 400 PC3200
MIS GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Video Card AGP
Creative Live 24 Sound Card
Digital Audio Lab Card Deluxe Sound Card
2- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drives IDE
1- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drive SATA
Antec Case with 350 ATX 2.0 Smart Power Supply

I've have read in this group that there have been problem with Antec
power supplies with some Asus boards, could this be the cause of my
problems??

"Willi Wonka" <stan4yy@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just got an A8V Deluxe motherboard and been having a problem in
> starting up the computer.
> When I press the on/off button, the system does go through the check
> of equipment, and then just sits there, there is no bios boot and no
> video
> In order for me to get the bios to start it's boot and video, I have
> to press the restart button once or twice.........then the bios boots
> goes through all the equipment info, and I get one beep with the
> message from the bios OverClocking Faliar........
> I then press the F1 the bios goes into setup mode, I then press
> F10 for save settings...........and then the bios re-starts normaly,
> and my computer boot the OS.........no other problems.
> I got the latest bios file from Asus, according to Asus Bios 1013 is
> the first one that accepts my CPU, so I got both the 1013 and 1014,
> use both and have the same problem, with the additional problem in the
> 1014 that it looses all input settings and reverts to defaul settings
> wthich does not happen in the 1013.
>
> My System
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400
> 1024 DDR 400 PC3200
> MIS GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Video Card AGP
> Creative Live 24 Sound Card
> Digital Audio Lab Card Deluxe Sound Card
> 2- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drives IDE
> 1- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drive SATA
> Antec Case with 350 ATX 2.0 Smart Power Supply
>
> I've have read in this group that there have been problem with Antec
> power supplies with some Asus boards, could this be the cause of my
> problems??

Try another processor, then you will know if its the mb...

xman

Did you clear the bios using the jumper after you upgraded the bios ?

"Willi Wonka" <stan4yy@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just got an A8V Deluxe motherboard and been having a problem in
> starting up the computer.
> When I press the on/off button, the system does go through the check
> of equipment, and then just sits there, there is no bios boot and no
> video
> In order for me to get the bios to start it's boot and video, I have
> to press the restart button once or twice.........then the bios boots
> goes through all the equipment info, and I get one beep with the
> message from the bios OverClocking Faliar........
> I then press the F1 the bios goes into setup mode, I then press
> F10 for save settings...........and then the bios re-starts normaly,
> and my computer boot the OS.........no other problems.
> I got the latest bios file from Asus, according to Asus Bios 1013 is
> the first one that accepts my CPU, so I got both the 1013 and 1014,
> use both and have the same problem, with the additional problem in the
> 1014 that it looses all input settings and reverts to defaul settings
> wthich does not happen in the 1013.
>
> My System
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400
> 1024 DDR 400 PC3200
> MIS GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Video Card AGP
> Creative Live 24 Sound Card
> Digital Audio Lab Card Deluxe Sound Card
> 2- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drives IDE
> 1- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drive SATA
> Antec Case with 350 ATX 2.0 Smart Power Supply
>
> I've have read in this group that there have been problem with Antec
> power supplies with some Asus boards, could this be the cause of my
> problems??

Yes I cleared the bios after upgrading it........

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:04:58 -0400, "RonK" <im@home.now> wrote:

>Did you clear the bios using the jumper after you upgraded the bios ?
>
>"Willi Wonka" <stan4yy@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I just got an A8V Deluxe motherboard and been having a problem in
>> starting up the computer.
>> When I press the on/off button, the system does go through the check
>> of equipment, and then just sits there, there is no bios boot and no
>> video
>> In order for me to get the bios to start it's boot and video, I have
>> to press the restart button once or twice.........then the bios boots
>> goes through all the equipment info, and I get one beep with the
>> message from the bios OverClocking Faliar........
>> I then press the F1 the bios goes into setup mode, I then press
>> F10 for save settings...........and then the bios re-starts normaly,
>> and my computer boot the OS.........no other problems.
>> I got the latest bios file from Asus, according to Asus Bios 1013 is
>> the first one that accepts my CPU, so I got both the 1013 and 1014,
>> use both and have the same problem, with the additional problem in the
>> 1014 that it looses all input settings and reverts to defaul settings
>> wthich does not happen in the 1013.
>>
>> My System
>> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400
>> 1024 DDR 400 PC3200
>> MIS GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Video Card AGP
>> Creative Live 24 Sound Card
>> Digital Audio Lab Card Deluxe Sound Card
>> 2- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drives IDE
>> 1- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drive SATA
>> Antec Case with 350 ATX 2.0 Smart Power Supply
>>
>> I've have read in this group that there have been problem with Antec
>> power supplies with some Asus boards, could this be the cause of my
>> problems??

Paul

Splendid

In article <uud6h1p059ksnqd5m5ij6pj64f51g6bcmv@4ax.com>, Willi Wonka
<stan4yy@cox.net> wrote:

> I just got an A8V Deluxe motherboard and been having a problem in
> starting up the computer.
> When I press the on/off button, the system does go through the check
> of equipment, and then just sits there, there is no bios boot and no
> video
> In order for me to get the bios to start it's boot and video, I have
> to press the restart button once or twice.........then the bios boots
> goes through all the equipment info, and I get one beep with the
> message from the bios OverClocking Faliar........
> I then press the F1 the bios goes into setup mode, I then press
> F10 for save settings...........and then the bios re-starts normaly,
> and my computer boot the OS.........no other problems.
> I got the latest bios file from Asus, according to Asus Bios 1013 is
> the first one that accepts my CPU, so I got both the 1013 and 1014,
> use both and have the same problem, with the additional problem in the
> 1014 that it looses all input settings and reverts to defaul settings
> wthich does not happen in the 1013.
>
> My System
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400
> 1024 DDR 400 PC3200
> MIS GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Video Card AGP
> Creative Live 24 Sound Card
> Digital Audio Lab Card Deluxe Sound Card
> 2- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drives IDE
> 1- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drive SATA
> Antec Case with 350 ATX 2.0 Smart Power Supply
>
> I've have read in this group that there have been problem with Antec
> power supplies with some Asus boards, could this be the cause of my
> problems??

If this was an Antec problem, the board would not have started
at all. If you can coax it to start, then it is not a latch-off
overcurrent problem. (With the Antec problem, the Vcore converter
on the board would not recover from detecting overcurrent, until
the computer was switched off and on at the back of the computer.
No amount of pushing reset would recover from that overcurrent
circuit.)

If I have the right supply spec, your smart power is:
3.3@22A 5@21A 12V1@10A 12V2@15A

According to amdcompare.com, your processor is 110 watts, or
10.19 amps at 90% conversion efficiency from the 12V2 supply.

The 12V1 runs the disks, fans, video card, and anything
else needing 12V. Your video card is 3.75A under load and
1.83A idle in the BIOS.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power_6.html

Three drives @ 0.5A each plus 1 amp for fans plus 3.75 is still
not over the limit for the 10A rating.

So it isn't necessarily a power problem. But the fact that it
initializes on the second try, suggests there wasn't enough power
on the first try. (The three disks draw 2 amps each during spinup,
but the video card will be drawing idle current.)

Strip the system to bare essentials. Remove the two sound cards,
only have one disk drive, a CD to load Windows or Linux, and
tell us how that works. Use the hardware monitor in the BIOS
to check the power supply voltages. Unfortunately, both 12V1
and 12V2 are not measured, and it could be that only the 12V1
disk and mobo rail is measured. I would expect that 12V reading
to be well loaded, while the 3.3V and 5V will be lightly
loaded by comparison.

If the machine starts every time, with a stripped set of hardware,
that would suggest there isn't enough power for the load.

HTH,
Paul

Followed your suggestion, taking the items out and unpluging all
except one hard drive and the CD, and my video card.
The problem remained, no change, had to push the reset to start the
unit......
Checking the hardware monitor in the bios, all voltages remained very
close to the 12, 5, 3.3 none going under those voltages..

Thanks for your suggestion

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:26:07 GMT, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

> [...]
>not over the limit for the 10A rating.
>
>So it isn't necessarily a power problem. But the fact that it
>initializes on the second try, suggests there wasn't enough power
>on the first try. (The three disks draw 2 amps each during spinup,
>but the video card will be drawing idle current.)
>
>Strip the system to bare essentials. Remove the two sound cards,
>only have one disk drive, a CD to load Windows or Linux, and
>tell us how that works. Use the hardware monitor in the BIOS
>to check the power supply voltages. Unfortunately, both 12V1
>and 12V2 are not measured, and it could be that only the 12V1
>disk and mobo rail is measured. I would expect that 12V reading
>to be well loaded, while the 3.3V and 5V will be lightly
>loaded by comparison.
>
>If the machine starts every time, with a stripped set of hardware,
>that would suggest there isn't enough power for the load.

Paul

Splendid

In article <8j97h1hlujjjg0gpbu37fe75fs1u4vjef2@4ax.com>, Willi Wonka
<stan4yy@cox.net> wrote:

> Followed your suggestion, taking the items out and unpluging all
> except one hard drive and the CD, and my video card.
> The problem remained, no change, had to push the reset to start the
> unit......
> Checking the hardware monitor in the bios, all voltages remained very
> close to the 12, 5, 3.3 none going under those voltages..
>
> Thanks for your suggestion

May be time to send it back to your vendor. It could be a problem
with the motherboard.

Since you'll be taking it out of the computer case anyway, you
might also try it outside the case. That is the so-called "cardboard
test", where you place the motherboard on top of a thick phone book,
as a cushion and an insulator. The only thing to watch, when
assembling a system outside the case, is always make sure the
plugin PCI or AGP cards are fully inserted in their respective
slots, before switching on the power each time. Since there is no
place to secure the cards faceplate, you have to be extra careful
not to tug on any wires connected to them. My last two systems,
I built them up completely on my table top, before putting them
into the case. It makes checking voltages or visually inspecting
the fit of a heatsink/fan, that much easier.

The purpose of a cardboard test, is to eliminate the possibility
that something is shorting to the bottom of the motherboard.
Sometimes, a left over standoff, from a previous motherboard,
ends up touching a track on the bottom of the new motherboard.
The cardboard test allows you to verify your symptoms still exist,
with an insulator under the motherboard.

Paul

"Willi Wonka" <stan4yy@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just got an A8V Deluxe motherboard and been having a problem in
> starting up the computer. snip
>

> My System
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400
> 1024 DDR 400 PC3200
> MIS GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Video Card AGP
> Creative Live 24 Sound Card
> Digital Audio Lab Card Deluxe Sound Card
> 2- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drives IDE
> 1- Western Digital 250Gig Hard Drive SATA
> Antec Case with 350 ATX 2.0 Smart Power Supply
>
> I've have read in this group that there have been problem with Antec
> power supplies with some Asus boards, could this be the cause of my
> problems??

Wow! Far too much load on your PSU...
I have a similar setup and an Enermax 480 wasn't enough for it!
Similar start-up problems to yours.
I've replaced it with an Antec 550w and that is fine.
There's no two ways about it (in my opinion) get a good quality PSU of at
least 550w.
Good luck
Eddy