one more for the road.. Radeon 96

This is a long, sad story so don't say I didn't warn you.

My mobo video card compatibility list had the ATI radeon
9600 pro listed but it did not show "powercolor" brand
or "powered by ATI" specifically. Do those little details
matter that much?

I just got a powercolor radeon 9600 pro 256MB installed
it and ran the CD after uninstalling the card and drivers
for my nVidia440 SE 64MB. First I noticed screen
flickering (bottom to top, two flicks /sec, black screen
to application page) in MSFS 2004 (not while flying. only
the screen after ending a flight or the screen before a
flight). I went to the ATI website and got the new
drivers, 4.9 i think, and catalyst and that new resource
hog of a control panel and installed them after
uninstalling the older drivers. The only change was that
now my desktop would black partially out while startup
programs started. I tried several different settings (the
problem only quit when I disabled 3D acceleration which
was unacceptable) and ran XP's dxdiagnostic tool and dx 9
is fine. Played with a soft mod program and thought I
killed my PC but recovered from safe mode. Finally I
uninstalled the new drivers and that control panel that
locked up my PC and then rolled back or reinstalled the
older drivers. Now I'm back to the just the screen flicker
in MSFS 2004.

I have the latest BIOS upgrde from HP for my mobo
A virus, trojan or malware is out of the question
I have 768 MBs of RAM and page file set properly
AMD 2400 running at 1999 MgHtz

Other problems that occured after the change:

Computer shutdown went from 20 seconds to a minute and a
half

long delay after right clicking desktop for the right
click menu to appear

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Here's my suggestion. Uninstall all ATI and nVidia drivers from
Add/Remove Programs. Use these two tools to remove all remnants left
behind:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe

After using both of those, install these drivers with the ATI Control
Panel instead of the Control Center. The 4.8 version ran fine for me,
but not 4.9 for some reason. Anyways, until they get that working, you
should probably stick with the regular drivers:
http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystXPdriver.html

----
Nathan McNulty