Windows 2000 + Abit KA7

G

I am having problem with Win 2K. After a fresh install (which I have repeated 4 times) the setup completes and right after the login screen I see the light blue background and then the computer freezes. Every install did the exact same thing. Here are my computer specs:

Abit KA7 Motherboard
256MB PC 100 RAM
Linksys LNE100TX Ethernet Card (10/100)
Voodoo 3 2000 AGP Video Card
Creative Ensoniq Sound Card
Standard Keyboard/Mouse

Any ideas what might be causing this?

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
That's a tough one. One thing you might try is to remove the network card and sound card and just install Windows with the video card only. Then add the network card and sound card one at a time afterward and see if one of them causes the problem. It might be that Windows 2000 is running into problems with sharing IRQ's.

Also, disable power management or ACPI in your BIOS, and set your "Plug and Play OS" to No in the BIOS. This will make the BIOS select the IRQ's rather than Windows.

Hope that helps...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
have you checked the win2000 compatibility page?
see if all your components are fully supported, Particularly the sound card and graphics card
sorry cant remember the address off hand

also u might want to try starting windoze in vga mode (eg safe mode) see if its the graphics card.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars