Right into Standby

Hi,
I am so desparate - I'll try anything.
I just bought the A8v and everthing installs perfectly until I install
the video drivers. As soon as I install the drivers the system goes
into standby. As soon as it boots up, it goes into standby. I can't
do anything. I've installed xp about 10 times now, installing the
drivers in different orders, installing older drivers, installing them
before and after updating to sp2. I am stumped. I think it is
something simple because no one else seems to be having this problem.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pachydermitis

P.S. I did install the latest bios and F6'd to install the RAID drivers
- even though I am not using them at this time.

System:
MB: A8v Delux
Cpu: Athlon 64 3500+ (I don't know which core or how to tell)
Vid: Nvidia Geforce FX 5800
Ram: 2GB (4x512) Corsair ddr400
Op: Win xp pro
Hdd: 1 36GB WD Sata raptor, 1 160GB WD Sata

Paul

Splendid

In article <1125375566.833965.63920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
dedejavu@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I am so desparate - I'll try anything.
> I just bought the A8v and everthing installs perfectly until I install
> the video drivers. As soon as I install the drivers the system goes
> into standby. As soon as it boots up, it goes into standby. I can't
> do anything. I've installed xp about 10 times now, installing the
> drivers in different orders, installing older drivers, installing them
> before and after updating to sp2. I am stumped. I think it is
> something simple because no one else seems to be having this problem.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Pachydermitis
>
> P.S. I did install the latest bios and F6'd to install the RAID drivers
> - even though I am not using them at this time.
>
> System:
> MB: A8v Delux
> Cpu: Athlon 64 3500+ (I don't know which core or how to tell)
> Vid: Nvidia Geforce FX 5800
> Ram: 2GB (4x512) Corsair ddr400
> Op: Win xp pro
> Hdd: 1 36GB WD Sata raptor, 1 160GB WD Sata

I think rather than "standby", the computer is crashing when the
video driver tries to load. If you could look in the Event
Viewer (after booting up in Safe Mode perhaps, and removing
the video driver, then rebooting), you might see some error
messages.

I'm not really sure what I'm dealing with here, as I cannot be
100% sure what is crashing on you. It could be many things,
but we'll pretend it is a video card crash for now, until you
can gather some more info about what is going on.

For video problems:

Enter the BIOS. Set "AGP Mode" [AGP 4X].
Set "AGP Fast Write" [Disabled].

(Later, if you want, set "PCI Delay Transaction" [Enabled],
which will give you better bus performance. But that is
not part of your current problem.)

You can find those settings in section 4.4.2 of the user manual.

Once you have set 4X and Fast Write off, save the settings,
and allow Windows to boot again. See if the video card driver
survives with the reduced settings.

To make accelerated video work, you need:

1) Chipset drivers. For example, these are on the A8V Deluxe download
"VIA 4 in 1 driver Package Service v4.49P3"
2) Video card driver. The latest driver from the Nvidia web site
is not always the greatest. If you had a driver version you
were using on your previous motherboard, try that version first.
On average, I end up trying about three driver versions, and
I pick the one that is most stable. Don't ever expect the
first driver you grab, to work. And always uninstall the old
driver before installing the new one.
3) Microsoft DirectX. If you are using a Service Pack, you will
have a fairly recent version. You can get 9.0C from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

Also, to rule out an issue with RAM, I would do my initial
build with a S939 board, with one or two sticks of RAM. If
you know what you are doing, four sticks is fair game, but
a lot of people have trouble running four sticks. It is
better to test most of the hardware in the system first,
and then go back and experiment with two sticks versus four
sticks. Useful settings for four sticks are: DDR400, Command
Rate 2T or DDR333, Command Rate 1T. With two sticks of
RAM (or even one for that matter, as one will work), the
"Auto" settings should be good enough.

If using just one stick of RAM, use slot B1. That should work
with any stepping of processor. If you have a Rev.E processor,
there is no slot preference, as a new mode was added to the
processor, to make single channel operation more flexible.

To learn more about your processor, pick up the box it came in,
then visit www.amdcompare.com and look it up.

HTH,
Paul

Paul,
Thank you so much for that answer. I actually tried every one of your
suggestions - most of them I had tried already.
I happened to stumble on the issue. In the BIOS power menu there are 3
choices, my video card only likes the s3 suspend mode, any other choice
made it go into suspend as soon as the video drivers loaded.
Thanks again
Pachydermitis

Paul

Splendid

In article <1125461181.751987.119680@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
dedejavu@hotmail.com wrote:

> Paul,
> Thank you so much for that answer. I actually tried every one of your
> suggestions - most of them I had tried already.
> I happened to stumble on the issue. In the BIOS power menu there are 3
> choices, my video card only likes the s3 suspend mode, any other choice
> made it go into suspend as soon as the video drivers loaded.
> Thanks again
> Pachydermitis

Is there anything in the Event Viewer ? I mean, there should be
a minimum time before Standby can activate. Maybe there is an
error message in the Event Viewer. It sounds very strange.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS