Pentium 4

Dear ASUS user!

Could someone be so kind, making me a suggestion which P4 MB is good?

We need AGP 3.0.
It don´t have to be overfitted with features!
USB, LAN, Sound, IDE, Floppy.... enough.

In the first instance, it should be a fast one!
Probably it will be used for games, like DOOM3 and such things,.,..
Stable AGP (drivers etc...)!!!!!

The CPU will be this Extreme Edition with megas of cache.... we have
yet!

Thanks for every helping suggestion. My knowledge about P4 is very less.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: ASUS, of course!

Want Gb via CSA? Then you'd need the P4C800-E Deluxe. Otherwise some
P4P800 variant in a current revision would also do. You should read up
on this USB latchup issue though.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> Want Gb via CSA? Then you'd need the P4C800-E Deluxe. Otherwise some
> P4P800 variant in a current revision would also do. You should read up
> on this USB latchup issue though.
>
> Stephan

Hallo Stephan!

P4C800-E Deluxe sounds well.

What is GB via CSA?
I don´t think that more than one USB-HUB will be activated. Will there
be any troubles? Maybe two...

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Daniel Mandic schrieb:

> Stephan Grossklass wrote:
>
>> Want Gb via CSA? Then you'd need the P4C800-E Deluxe. Otherwise some
>> P4P800 variant in a current revision would also do. You should read up
>> on this USB latchup issue though.
[snip]

> P4C800-E Deluxe sounds well.
>
> What is GB via CSA?

Gigabit Ethernet attached via CSA. This way it does not have to share
the bandwidth with all the stuff on the lame PCI32/33 bus (which is not
even sufficient for half-duplex GbE). Somewhat VL-bus-like.
http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/lan/controllers/82547ei.htm

> I don´t think that more than one USB-HUB will be activated. Will there
> be any troubles? Maybe two...

You should really read what Paul wrote here on the subject. Google
Groups exists. It's certainly explained somewhere on the web as well.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Paul

Splendid

In article <df5535$fdo$04$1@news.t-online.com>, Stephan Grossklass
<sgrokla-nospam04q2@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Daniel Mandic schrieb:
>
> > Stephan Grossklass wrote:
> >
> >> Want Gb via CSA? Then you'd need the P4C800-E Deluxe. Otherwise some
> >> P4P800 variant in a current revision would also do. You should read up
> >> on this USB latchup issue though.
> [snip]
> >
> > P4C800-E Deluxe sounds well.
> >
> > What is GB via CSA?
>
> Gigabit Ethernet attached via CSA. This way it does not have to share
> the bandwidth with all the stuff on the lame PCI32/33 bus (which is not
> even sufficient for half-duplex GbE). Somewhat VL-bus-like.
> http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/lan/controllers/82547ei.htm
>
> > I don´t think that more than one USB-HUB will be activated. Will there
> > be any troubles? Maybe two...
>
> You should really read what Paul wrote here on the subject. Google
> Groups exists. It's certainly explained somewhere on the web as well.
>
> Stephan

There is a latchup problem on the ICH5 Southbridge. The main
trigger condition seems to be, if a bit of static discharge
enters a USB port. This causes a conduction path to form
between VCC and GND, and a lot of current flows. (The only way
to stop the current flow, is to flip the switch on the back
of the computer. And you cannot do that fast enough, before
the damage is done.) The Southbridge gets hot enough, that a
burn mark forms at a certain point on the top of the chip.
The motherboard won't boot any more, for most of these failures.
In some cases, only the power to the USB interfaces gets burned,
and just the USB fails. Asus will replace the Southbridge, as
long as there is time left on the three year warranty. Since
Asus does not acknowledge this design defect, it is hard to say
if the Southbridge would be replaced after the three year
warranty has expired.

To reduce the risk of a P4Cxxx or P4Pxxx or P5P800 motherboard
failure, buy a USB2 PCI card and use the USB ports on that card,
instead of the motherboard USB ports. Use a PS/2 keyboard so you
can make changes to the BIOS. Do not use the USB ports on the
motherboard. This will reduce the risk, but cannot entirely
eliminate the risk of a failure (as the exact failure mechanism
isn't documented, and if the failure mechanism is age-related,
it could be that no workaround can prevent it from eventually
happening).

As for the P4C800-E Deluxe, it uses the 875 Northbridge. That
Northbridge has two MI 1.5 bus interfaces. One interface runs to
the Southbridge, providing 266MB/sec bandwidth for disk transfers
and the PCI bridge. The second bus interface (CSA) is private and
feeds an Intel gigabit Ethernet chip. By using a separate bus,
it means the gigabit Ethernet chip can run at gigabit speeds.
P4P800 type boards, have the Ethernet chip connected to the PCI
bus. This detail is only important if you are building a server,
as for home use, the difference in connection methods will not
normally be an issue. (For example, with Win2K, I can only get
300 megabits out of 1gigabit speed, so it doesn't matter what
bus the chip is on.)

In terms of rough generalities:

1) P4C800/P4P800 type boards.
ICH5 Southbridge. AGP port. S478 processor socket.
2) P5P800.
ICH5 Southbridge. AGP port. S775 processor socket (single core)
3) i915/i925 Northbridge based boards
ICH6 Southbridge. PCI Express video. S775 processor (single core)
4) i945/i955 Northbridge based boards
ICH7 Southbridge. PCI Express video. S775 processor (single/dual core)

No motherboard is really "future-proof" these days. PCI Express
is here to stay, so buying an AGP based motherboard means you won't
be able to tap into future video card improvements.

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote:

> There is a latchup problem on the ICH5 Southbridge. The main
> trigger condition seems to be, if a bit of static discharge
> enters a USB port. This causes a conduction path to form
> between VCC and GND, and a lot of current flows. (The only way

May I use at least one of the onboard USB without any risk? ASUS P4C800
Deluxe!

> to stop the current flow, is to flip the switch on the back
> of the computer. And you cannot do that fast enough, before
> the damage is done.) The Southbridge gets hot enough, that a
> burn mark forms at a certain point on the top of the chip.

Remembers me to my first chip I burnt. A Motorola MC68882/50. A star
appeared....

> The motherboard won't boot any more, for most of these failures.
> In some cases, only the power to the USB interfaces gets burned,
> and just the USB fails. Asus will replace the Southbridge, as
> long as there is time left on the three year warranty. Since
> Asus does not acknowledge this design defect, it is hard to say
> if the Southbridge would be replaced after the three year
> warranty has expired.

How can they sell a MB without proper working USB?
Do you have an other suggestion. VIA?

> As for the P4C800-E Deluxe, it uses the 875 Northbridge. That
> Northbridge has two MI 1.5 bus interfaces. One interface runs to
> the Southbridge, providing 266MB/sec bandwidth for disk transfers

Standard LAN. Maybe 100-max 200kb/sec. Nominal=20-100KB - The Speed.

> No motherboard is really "future-proof" these days. PCI Express
> is here to stay, so buying an AGP based motherboard means you won't
> be able to tap into future video card improvements.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Well, I would go well with an Intel 486, today. It depends what you
need. E.g. a 486 is enough to make a circuit-diagram for something
expensive high-end electronic, a superfast PC cannot make better. Or, a
printout (let´s say Office97) is also the same on paper. You could not
say which CPU printed this or this out. etc. etc...

Kind Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> Want Gb via CSA? Then you'd need the P4C800-E Deluxe. Otherwise some
> P4P800 variant in a current revision would also do. You should read up

SCA, yes. CSA? No.

I already have a VL-BUS PC :)

I see that there are many traps, gags, ideas, etc. etc. etc. built in
modern hardware.
I hope I get some good suggestions here.

Being a while, I saw a posting describing troubles with iEE and
P4C800-E Deluxe...

I´ll look ASUS, too.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> Want Gb via CSA? Then you'd need the P4C800-E Deluxe. Otherwise some

Is the i875 AGP PRO only. So far I know is the GfX a "AGP 3.0
Universal". Not a PRO.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Have been using a P4C800-E Deluxe for over a year now with 1gb OCZ PC4200
running at 1:1, and a P4 2.6 running at 3.3, and, using all the usb
connections (just hoping the problem isn't age related) without any problems
at all. The mobo/cpu has gone through three PS and vid card upgrades and
numerous re-format/re-installs with nary a hiccup. My last three boards
have all been ASUS (CUSL2-C, P4PE, and P4C800-E Deluxe and all three are in
use) and I have been very, very pleased with my purchases. Just my
experiences and my $0.02.
Silvertip
"Daniel Mandic" <daniel_mandic@ping.at> wrote in message
> Stephan Grossklass wrote:
>
>> Want Gb via CSA? Then you'd need the P4C800-E Deluxe. Otherwise some
>> P4P800 variant in a current revision would also do. You should read up
>

> SCA, yes. CSA? No.
>
> I already have a VL-BUS PC :)
>

> I see that there are many traps, gags, ideas, etc. etc. etc. built in
> modern hardware.
> I hope I get some good suggestions here.
>
> Being a while, I saw a posting describing troubles with iEE and
> P4C800-E Deluxe...
>
> I´ll look ASUS, too.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Daniel Mandic

Paul

Splendid

In article <431632e9$0$2280$91cee783@newsreader02.highway.telekom.at>,
"Daniel Mandic" <daniel_mandic@ping.at> wrote:

> May I use at least one of the onboard USB without any risk? ASUS P4C800
> Deluxe!

No. Use a PS/2 keyboard. Buy a USB2 PCI card.

This is the only public acknowledgement of ICH4/ICH5 problems.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_456.htm

> How can they sell a MB without proper working USB?
> Do you have an other suggestion. VIA?

VIA? Heavens, No. If you wish to use the other brands, you will
need to do 2x to 3x the amount of research. Watch for any reports
of AGP slot problems. Use Google and the private forums to determine
if the VIA board you want to use is a winner or not.

In the past, VIA has demonstrated poor design methodology, and it
is hard to trust them. At least when Intel makes mistakes, they
seem to make an effort to fix them. (Intel does make mistakes,
like the AGP on P4G8X for example.)

> Well, I would go well with an Intel 486, today. It depends what you
> need. E.g. a 486 is enough to make a circuit-diagram for something
> expensive high-end electronic, a superfast PC cannot make better. Or, a
> printout (let´s say Office97) is also the same on paper. You could not
> say which CPU printed this or this out. etc. etc...
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Daniel Mandic

If you are planning on playing modern games, the Intel 486 is
not enough. Games are one of the major reasons for upgrading
a computer.

If the most important use of your new computer was gaming, I
would have recommended an Athlon64 board to you. But it sounds
like you are a devoted Intel customer.

Paul

Daniel Mandic schrieb:

> Stephan Grossklass wrote:
>
>> Want Gb via CSA? Then you'd need the P4C800-E Deluxe. Otherwise some
>
> Is the i875 AGP PRO only. So far I know is the GfX a "AGP 3.0
> Universal". Not a PRO.

AGP Pro or not Pro is not a matter of the chipset. An AGP Pro slot will
provide additional contacts for power supply. Generally only power
hungry CAD graphics cards (3DLabs stuff and such) come in AGP Pro, and
even that may already be a thing of the past now, as current power
hungry gaming cards tend to feature Molex connectors to plug a power
supply lead into.

Stephan