P4C800-E Deluxe RAID problem on Server 2003

After several days I start getting the following messages logged in
event viewer:

An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably. The
Registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files
that contain the system's image of the Registry

and:

The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool
because the pool was empty.

Only way out is to power off the system and bring back up. Runs great
for 5-6 days and starts all over again. I have the drives connected
to the Promise RAID controller. Is this a known issue?

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:38:03 GMT, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <eg1ch15nm8m4ak67tbu9cqvio0if74bqr7@4ax.com>, Xignals wrote:
>
>> After several days I start getting the following messages logged in
>> event viewer:
>>
>> An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably. The
>> Registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files
>> that contain the system's image of the Registry
>>
>> and:
>>
>> The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool
>> because the pool was empty.
>>

>> Only way out is to power off the system and bring back up. Runs great
>> for 5-6 days and starts all over again. I have the drives connected
>> to the Promise RAID controller. Is this a known issue?
>
>Found this in the KB:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888928
>
>http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/browse_frm/thread/3a50931b25a862/f012ffab43a0f0ee
>
> Paul

Thanks for the help but this is for sure a problem with the RAID. I
ghosted the drive to a parallel drive and the server runs for weeks
without problems. I found one other post on Google that was having
the same problem but there were no responses. As a matter of fact it
was posted to this newsgroup in August of 2004. Here is the post:

1. R Aug 25 2004, 8:45 am show options
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
From: R <1...@12345.com> - Find messages by this author
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:45:47 -0500
Subject: P4C800E-Deluxe RAID on Server 2003

Anyone used the RAID with Server 2003 (or even Server 2000)?

I'm trying to find a memory leak and wondering if this driver is it.

Also, Any utility to monitor the RAID without using the funky
drilldown, login baloney that Asus has on their site? The Promise
controllers in the past had a utility that sat in the system tray and
monitored for drive failure.

thanks,
Roger.

Xignals wrote:
> After several days I start getting the following messages logged in
> event viewer:
>
> An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably. The
> Registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files
> that contain the system's image of the Registry
>
> and:
>
> The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool
> because the pool was empty.
>

> Only way out is to power off the system and bring back up. Runs great
> for 5-6 days and starts all over again. I have the drives connected
> to the Promise RAID controller. Is this a known issue?

I'm assuming you have the latest driver for the RAID controller?

These cheesy onboard RAID controllers (if you can call them that, more
like regular IDE controller with a driver that does RAID) aren't really
designed for server use, so it wouldn't surprise me that they had some
bugs with Win2k3..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada