Maxtor DiamondMax 10 on A7M266

Hello, All!

I have the A7M266 Socket A motherboard with AMD 761 chipset.
Now I want to buy a new HD that is designated:

- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB PATA 16Mb 7200rpm 1pk bulk

As far as I understand, this HD should work on my UltraDAM/100 EIDE
controller.
Am I right on this?
Should I upgrade the BIOS?

Another (maybe dumb) question: what does "1pk bulk" mean?

Thnx i.a.
With best regards, EDJO.
1 answer Last reply
More about maxtor diamondmax a7m266

    In article <4316d0cd$0$3620$dbd4d001@news.wanadoo.nl>, "EDJO" <Ed@Jo.com> wrote:

    > Hello, All!
    >
    > I have the A7M266 Socket A motherboard with AMD 761 chipset.
    > Now I want to buy a new HD that is designated:
    >
    > - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB PATA 16Mb 7200rpm 1pk bulk
    >
    > As far as I understand, this HD should work on my UltraDAM/100 EIDE
    > controller.
    > Am I right on this?
    > Should I upgrade the BIOS?
    >
    > Another (maybe dumb) question: what does "1pk bulk" mean?
    >
    > Thnx i.a.
    > With best regards, EDJO.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20040724183802/http://usa.asus.com/support/english/techref/48bithdd/index.aspx

    Model Support Since BIOS
    A7M266 Yes 1006

    When a drive is "bulk" or "OEM", the package contains only a
    disk drive. There will be no fancy cables, drive rail kit,
    screws, user manual, colorful box etc. But the single most
    important difference between "retail" and "OEM/bulk", is
    the warranty. The warranty on OEM drives is generally worse
    than on a retail drive, and is the reason why the price
    is so reasonable. If you got a good price, it could mean
    if the disk drive fails 366 days from now, there is no
    warranty to get it replaced. Talk to your retailer, and
    find out the exact terms of the warranty.

    And while you are at it, think carefully about how you will
    be doing backups on a 300GB disk drive. That is a lot
    of data to archive.

    Paul

Asus Maxtor Motherboards