Are these voltages okay?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Could someone tell me if these voltage readings, taken
off Everest Ultimate are proper for my system?

I have a K8V motherboard, 1 gig Corsair XMS ram,
4 internal harddrives (2 Sata and 2 IDE) and 2 internal
DVD-RW's (Pioneer 108 and 109) ....I also use an
ATI Radeo x800 Pro video card. I have an Athlon 64
3400+ cpu.

I use an Antec Tru power 550w power supply.

The reason I am asking, is because I have gone from
a 100pct success rate in burning dvd's (videos not data)
to about a 1 pct rate. So I am desperately looking for
answers ..... because every burn, no matter what program,
dvd shrink, dvd decrypter, Nero, DVDX, Clone DVD etc. altho
reports SUCCESSFUL burn, they all play on a stand alone player
with a LOT of skipping/pausing/jerking, etc. My event viewer
shows NO errors (or warnings) ... I have no indication of any
kind. (I've taken the skipping dvds downstairs to my other
computer, recoded with Nero and burnt on that machine,
and so far, a perfect copy every time. (that one is an Asus A7N8X
with a Pioneer 105 burner)

I have no idea where to start troubleshooting, I've updated vid drivers,
reinstalled windows, (leaving off any programs that were installed
after the run of a hundred or so successes) ......all with no improvement.
I have taken my computer back to what it was (hardware wise) during
the successes, and still no change. (only hardware changes were a
Firewire PCI card added and changing a Pioneer 106 to the Pioneer
109) Otherwise, it is the same exact computer as it was when I was
having all the successes.

At any rate, I am forced to look for other causes now apparently ....
so I am starting with voltages. (But, I have no idea if these are okay)
This is what everest reports:
Field Value
CPU Cor 1.54
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.05 V
+12 V 11.49 V (ususally steady at 11.49, but occassionally drops
to 11.43 or climbs to 11.55)
+5v Standby 4.85 V

Are these okay? (or perhaps is it time to buy an even bigger power
supply?)

Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

You do most likely need a more powerful PSU with all that hardware in your
system.

--
DaveW

Mtimerding wrote:

> so I am starting with voltages. (But, I have no idea if these are okay)
> This is what everest reports:
> Field Value
> CPU Cor 1.54
> +3.3 V 3.30 V
> +5 V 5.05 V
> +12 V 11.49 V (ususally steady at 11.49, but occassionally drops
> to 11.43 or climbs to 11.55)
> +5v Standby 4.85 V
>
> Are these okay? (or perhaps is it time to buy an even bigger power
> supply?)

Seem pretty OK. Check out the mobo for bad caps. I had a similar problem
with burning CD's, and the guilty component seems to be the mobo with
bulking and leaking caps. Yup, have the replacement on my desk and will
install when I have the time.

> Thanks

Wellcome.

--
gt

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

sounds like dodgy discs, try different ones, or burn at a slower speed.

> [...]

> I have taken my computer back to what it was (hardware wise) during
> the successes, and still no change. (only hardware changes were a
> Firewire PCI card added and changing a Pioneer 106 to the Pioneer
> 109) Otherwise, it is the same exact computer as it was when I was
> having all the successes.
>
> At any rate, I am forced to look for other causes now apparently ....
> so I am starting with voltages. (But, I have no idea if these are okay)
> This is what everest reports:
> Field Value
> CPU Cor 1.54
> +3.3 V 3.30 V
> +5 V 5.05 V
> +12 V 11.49 V (ususally steady at 11.49, but occassionally drops
> to 11.43 or climbs to 11.55)
> +5v Standby 4.85 V
>
> Are these okay? (or perhaps is it time to buy an even bigger power

Voltages are not as critical as amperages. If the amperage on the rail used
by the laser drops below the level necessary for proper laser operation, you
will have errors. FWIW, the Antec Tru-Blue 550 is a very stable and capable
PSU. If it is getting along, you might want to actually check the amperage
with a meter (ammeter).

Bobby

"DaveW" <nowhere@dot.org> wrote in message
> You do most likely need a more powerful PSU with all that hardware in your
> system.
>
> --
> DaveW
> "Mtimerding" <Mtimerding*LeaveMeAlone*@fuse.net> wrote in message
>> Could someone tell me if these voltage readings, taken
>> off Everest Ultimate are proper for my system?
>>
>> I have a K8V motherboard, 1 gig Corsair XMS ram,
>> 4 internal harddrives (2 Sata and 2 IDE) and 2 internal
>> DVD-RW's (Pioneer 108 and 109) ....I also use an
>> ATI Radeo x800 Pro video card. I have an Athlon 64
>> 3400+ cpu.
>>
>> I use an Antec Tru power 550w power supply.
>>
>> The reason I am asking, is because I have gone from
>> a 100pct success rate in burning dvd's (videos not data)
>> to about a 1 pct rate. So I am desperately looking for
>> answers ..... because every burn, no matter what program,
>> dvd shrink, dvd decrypter, Nero, DVDX, Clone DVD etc. altho
>> reports SUCCESSFUL burn, they all play on a stand alone player
>> with a LOT of skipping/pausing/jerking, etc. My event viewer
>> shows NO errors (or warnings) ... I have no indication of any
>> kind. (I've taken the skipping dvds downstairs to my other
>> computer, recoded with Nero and burnt on that machine,
>> and so far, a perfect copy every time. (that one is an Asus A7N8X
>> with a Pioneer 105 burner)
>>
>> I have no idea where to start troubleshooting, I've updated vid drivers,
>> reinstalled windows, (leaving off any programs that were installed
>> after the run of a hundred or so successes) ......all with no
>> improvement.
>> I have taken my computer back to what it was (hardware wise) during
>> the successes, and still no change. (only hardware changes were a
>> Firewire PCI card added and changing a Pioneer 106 to the Pioneer
>> 109) Otherwise, it is the same exact computer as it was when I was
>> having all the successes.
>>
>> At any rate, I am forced to look for other causes now apparently ....
>> so I am starting with voltages. (But, I have no idea if these are okay)
>> This is what everest reports:
>> Field Value
>> CPU Cor 1.54
>> +3.3 V 3.30 V
>> +5 V 5.05 V
>> +12 V 11.49 V (ususally steady at 11.49, but occassionally drops
>> to 11.43 or climbs to 11.55)
>> +5v Standby 4.85 V
>>
>> Are these okay? (or perhaps is it time to buy an even bigger power
>> supply?)
>>
>> Thanks

Your power supply is definitely capable of handling all the hardware you
have. A quick online search of the specs of your optical drives and a
guestimate of the requirements of your HDD's puts you in the 400 - 450 watt
range. Please see my previous post about amperage versus wattage.

Bobby

On 1-Sep-2005, "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:

> Voltages are not as critical as amperages.

Although I dont know enough to agree or disagree; if it were some
problem like insufficient power (or anything for that matter) wouldnt
I get some indications or errors in event viewer, or at least, where
the particular burning program would stop saying "Burn Successful'
or something? That is what is driving me crazy ....

(FWIW right now, I am leaning toward the Busmaster IDE driver ....
assuming that a burning program, any one, reports success or failure
based on the fact the it burnt what the Busmaster told it to ... I could be
wrong, I may now know what the hell I am talking about)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

On 1-Sep-2005, "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:

> A quick online search of the specs of your optical drives and a
> guestimate of the requirements of your HDD's puts you in the 400 - 450
> watt

I did a quickie online too, counting all my fans (5 of em, 3 with neon
lights)
my ram, cpu, it rated me at 400 -450 watts also

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

In article <mdidnfwFK9GYM4reRVn-jw@giganews.com>,
Mtimerding*LeaveMeAlone*@fuse.net wrote:

> On 1-Sep-2005, "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Voltages are not as critical as amperages.
>

> Although I dont know enough to agree or disagree; if it were some
> problem like insufficient power (or anything for that matter) wouldnt
> I get some indications or errors in event viewer, or at least, where
> the particular burning program would stop saying "Burn Successful'
> or something? That is what is driving me crazy ....
>
> (FWIW right now, I am leaning toward the Busmaster IDE driver ....
> assuming that a burning program, any one, reports success or failure
> based on the fact the it burnt what the Busmaster told it to ... I could be
> wrong, I may now know what the hell I am talking about)

I've only played with Nero a bit (one week spent with a relative's
computer, quite a while ago), but there was a tool that measures
PI/PO errors and puts a graph on the screen. I was using a Liteon
drive, and several brands of media I tried, had high error rates
near the end of the disk. I think I found some Verbatim disks
that worked well, and had a low error rate from end to end on the
DVD. What ever that tool was, it was real handy for rating media.

If you've already scanned and rated the media you are using,
consider the possibility that the latest disks you bought are
using a different chemistry. The media tags that are applied
to disks, are not always accurate, and it is possible the
latest disks you've been using have changed for the worse.

Drivers can also be a source of frustration. For IDE, I would
sooner try the default Microsoft IDE drivers, than any fancy
chipset specific caching drivers. It could also be, that some
burner package you have added recently, has messed something
up in the driver department.

As long as the measured voltage stays withing 5% of 12V (like
11.4V), I don't see a particular reason to be blaming the
power.

In terms of BIOS settings, "PCI Delay Transaction" should be
[Enabled], to optimize the PCI bus. It allows other bus
activity, whenever a slow PCI bus device is queried. I
don't understand why your BIOS sets this by default to
disabled. I doubt this has anything to do with your
problem.

Do your burning tools show buffer fill ? Does your system
have trouble keeping data in the buffer, such that other
drive features are needed to prevent making coasters ?

A place to look for info, is http://club.cdfreaks.com/
Perhaps someone over there has had the same problem
you are suffering.

Paul

On 2-Sep-2005, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

> I've only played with Nero a bit (one week spent with a relative's
> computer, quite a while ago)

Thanks for the reply ... your post made me take a closer look at
NERO ....I have been updating Nero to the newest version every month
since I started using it a few years back ....and had never had any issues
with it ... after reading your post, I decided to check Nero's CD/DVD drive
speed tool ...which, with the versions every month this year, has included
some new readings (I have no idea what they mean) ......Lo and Behold,
I could NOT run any of the tests on my (blank dvd) ..... either the 'Start'
button
for the particular test was ghosted out (on two of the tabs it showed) and
on
the one it wasn't ghosted on, as soon as I clicked on 'Start' for the
particular
test, it immediately responded with a "ERROR: No additional sense
information 080000"
(which I have no idea what it means) .. but, on my wifes machine, using a
version of Nero
from last year, it gives NO error when you try to test, or scandisc a blank
...... so, I installed
one of the newer (this years) versions on her machined, and all a sudden,
her machine
started to give that Error also. So, I came upstair, reloaded a version of
Nero from last
year on my machine, and all of a sudden I was able to run the tests on mine.
Since then, I have manged to burn TWO successful dvd's in a row.

So so far, I am left to beleive it was Nero after all. But, I am still
bummed about
how I NEVER got an error(from Nero or Event Viewer) once in all the failed
burns
these past few months. I am also bummed about how (if it was) Nero managed
interfere with another programs burning. (Remember, the failures were on
every
program I burnt with, not just Nero) ..... something I clearly remember them
(Microsoft)
harping about with the launch of Windows XP, how one program will no longer
interfere with or mess up another.

I also note, that MOST of the dvd movies I burned were with DVD X Platinum,
DVD Decrypter, Clone DVD, DVD Shrink, or Tempgenc DVD Author..
I ONLY used Nero to burn 'additional' copies of something that was
previously
burned with another application.

At either rate, if I have hit on it, it was your post that prompted me to
take a closer
look a Nero's testing utils.