is my memory single or double sided?

Can someone tell me what type of memory I have. From the info I gathered I
am guessing its double sided because it has two banks of 256MB but am not
100% sure. What I found is this:
Bank 1: DIMM Synchronous DRAM 512MB/72

Then under Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks it says
Bank 0 256MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7 1CMd
Bank 1 256MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7 1CMd

Memory Module 1
Manufacturer Xerox
Type 512MB DDR-SDRAM
16x(32Mx8)

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about memory single double sided

    Your guess is probably correct, but is it really that difficult to open up
    your computer case and take a look at the memory modules?

    If each DIMM has memory chips on only one side of the DIMM's printed circuit
    card then it's single sided. If it has memory chips on both sides of the
    DIMM's printed circuit card then it's double sided. No guessing required.

    "Homer J. Simpson" <hjsimpson@springfield.usa> wrote in message
    > Your guess is probably correct, but is it really that difficult to open
    > up your computer case and take a look at the memory modules?
    >
    > If each DIMM has memory chips on only one side of the DIMM's printed
    > circuit card then it's single sided. If it has memory chips on both
    > sides of the DIMM's printed circuit card then it's double sided. No
    > guessing required.
    The terms 'single sided' and 'double sided', originally meant exactly
    this. However they should really now be 're-defined' as 'single banked',
    or 'double banked'. The question is whether the memories appear as a
    single memory bank to the computer, or use two CAS lines, effectively
    appearing as two complete memory assemblies on one module. Unfortunately,
    some memory sizes and makes, can be 'double banked', yet only have chips
    on one side of the module. This has happened at odd intervals through the
    history of memories, when larger memory technologies appeared, and the
    manufacturers have implemented them in this way, to provide 'reverse
    compatibility'.
    Looking at the modules, _does not_ guarantee the right answer.

    > "C.J. Dwight" <ioppp@ass.com> wrote in message
    >> Can someone tell me what type of memory I have. From the info I
    >> gathered I am guessing its double sided because it has two banks of
    >> 256MB but am not 100% sure. What I found is this:
    >> Bank 1: DIMM Synchronous DRAM 512MB/72
    >>
    >> Then under Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks it says
    >> Bank 0 256MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7 1CMd
    >> Bank 1 256MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7 1CMd
    >>
    >> Memory Module 1
    >> Manufacturer Xerox
    >> Type 512MB DDR-SDRAM
    >> 16x(32Mx8)
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett wrote:
    > "Homer J. Simpson" <hjsimpson@springfield.usa> wrote in message
    >
    >>Your guess is probably correct, but is it really that difficult to open
    >>up your computer case and take a look at the memory modules?
    >>
    >>If each DIMM has memory chips on only one side of the DIMM's printed
    >>circuit card then it's single sided. If it has memory chips on both
    >>sides of the DIMM's printed circuit card then it's double sided. No
    >>guessing required.
    >
    > The terms 'single sided' and 'double sided', originally meant exactly
    > this. However they should really now be 're-defined' as 'single banked',
    > or 'double banked'. The question is whether the memories appear as a
    > single memory bank to the computer, or use two CAS lines, effectively
    > appearing as two complete memory assemblies on one module. Unfortunately,
    > some memory sizes and makes, can be 'double banked', yet only have chips
    > on one side of the module. This has happened at odd intervals through the
    > history of memories, when larger memory technologies appeared, and the
    > manufacturers have implemented them in this way, to provide 'reverse
    > compatibility'.
    > Looking at the modules, _does not_ guarantee the right answer.

    Indeed.. also modules can have chips on both sides and still be single
    banked.

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Asus DDR SDRAM Memory Motherboards