USB 2.0 drivers for P4S800

Hi all,

I have just had to re-format my HDD and now when I plug in my USB2.0
compliant MP3 Player, I get that feared bubble that says "Hi-Speed
deviced plugged into Non Hi-Speed Hub. Please blah blah blah..."

I have SP2 installed, so naturally, the windows drivers dominated the
USB installation, but the ports still aren't USB 2.0 as they say they
should be.

What can I do?

Thanks,

Neil
8 answers Last reply
More about drivers p4s800

    did you install the m/board drivers?

    "Neil Barras" <dontspamme@spammenot.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have just had to re-format my HDD and now when I plug in my USB2.0
    > compliant MP3 Player, I get that feared bubble that says "Hi-Speed deviced
    > plugged into Non Hi-Speed Hub. Please blah blah blah..."
    >
    > I have SP2 installed, so naturally, the windows drivers dominated the USB
    > installation, but the ports still aren't USB 2.0 as they say they should
    > be.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Neil

    When I look at the folders on the CD, I see only Audio, AGP, IDE,LAN and
    USB. When I try to install the USB drivers, it says the newer drivers
    are installed and that the install will not continue. Where on the CD
    do I look for the Board Drivers?

    Thanks,

    Neil

    In article <V8nSe.310$Y06.51@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>, Neil Barras
    <dontspamme@spammenot.com> wrote:

    > When I look at the folders on the CD, I see only Audio, AGP, IDE,LAN and
    > USB. When I try to install the USB drivers, it says the newer drivers
    > are installed and that the install will not continue. Where on the CD
    > do I look for the Board Drivers?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Neil

    I just went looking, with my favorite search engine, for
    "USB Support", and it is obvious nobody (either hardware or
    software) has much of a customer focus. USBman.org is still the
    best site I can find.

    When Microsoft released WinXP, initially Microsoft did not
    provide a driver for USB 2.0. I think it was released at some
    point after that. It could then be installed via Windows Update.

    At some point, they decided the only way for customers to get
    it, would be by downloading SP1. I don't think Microsoft allows
    separate provision of a USB 2.0 driver. While I cannot even
    find a reference for you, I would expect USB 2.0 support to
    be available in WinXP SP1 or later and maybe Win2K SP4 or
    later.

    This page shows how to check for an "Enhanced" entry in
    Device Manager. If it is present, that would mean a USB 2.0
    device driver is loaded for the USB2 hardware.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

    Deleting devices in Safe Mode, is supposed to be a way for
    Windows to redetect USB hardware.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

    This one doesn't explain what to do if there is no USB 2
    entry in Device Manager.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329632

    Good luck,
    Paul

    > When I look at the folders on the CD, I see only Audio, AGP, IDE,LAN and
    > USB. When I try to install the USB drivers, it says the newer drivers are
    > installed and that the install will not continue. Where on the CD do I
    > look for the Board Drivers?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Neil

    Sounds like you need the chipset drivers for the SiS chipset, these usually
    include AGP, IDE etc.
    These are similar to the VIA 4 in 1, Hyperion, or Intel chipset drivers.

    Try the SiS website for the latest ones.

    Check the BIOS to see what speed the USB ports are set at. Not all USB 2
    devices run at the same speed, (varies between chipsets also), even though
    they are USB 2 compliant. I am not sure how much of a difference you would
    notice anyway with an MP3 player.

    Hi all,

    Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried the re-install through safe
    mode, and the same thing happened when I plugged the device into the
    front USB port. I then gave in to the popup and tried one of the rear
    ports and hey presto! It ran at USB2.0 speeds. I'm now confused as to
    why my front ports are only 1.1?

    Cheers,

    Neil

    I'm sorry I missed the beginning of this post, but if the front ports
    are case mounted it is possible they are only suitable for usb 1.1. I
    had an older case with front mounted usb ports. When I connected the
    cable to a usb 2.0 header on the motherboard these ports only functioned
    as usb 1.1.

    Richard

    In article <I4DSe.1529$741.800@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, Neil Barras
    <dontspamme@spammenot.com> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried the re-install through safe
    > mode, and the same thing happened when I plugged the device into the
    > front USB port. I then gave in to the popup and tried one of the rear
    > ports and hey presto! It ran at USB2.0 speeds. I'm now confused as to
    > why my front ports are only 1.1?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Neil

    Would you be using one of those fine Antec computer
    cases ? Many of the older models, have a "USB 1.1 only"
    front panel connector. If you contact Antec, they will
    send you a USB 2.0 ready assembly to take its place.
    (My Antec Sonata already had a USB 2.0 assembly in place,
    as the printed circuit board has that printed right on
    the board. That is something you could look at, to check
    whether that is the problem or not.)

    I don't know how prevalent that kind of problem is with
    other brands of cases.

    Paul

    Hi Paul,

    I had never thought that would be the problem, but I think it is. The
    case is only from a company caled Novatech (Novatech Panacea), soI think
    that may be why.

    I have it working on the back ports now though, and I can live with
    that, so I guess it's case closed!

    Thanks all,

    Neil

Asus Drivers USB Motherboards