Linksys Adaptor - Windows 98 set-up

I have recently purchased a Wireless-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G) and two USB
Network adaptors (WUSB54G-UK).
Whilst I have been able to connect a second PC which is running on Windows
XP, I am having extreme difficulty in setting up a third PC which is running
on Windows 98 (second edition).
All I really require is that this PC is connected to allow internet access
which is on ADSL Broadband.
At the moment I have connected the network adaptor and Installed the
software in the normal manner.
However when I open the program via the taskbar Icon the message states that
WUSB54 is inactive 'no association with access point' and the Link LED on the
adaptor is not illuminated.
I would very much appreciate if you can perhaps advice as to what the
problem might be and give some guidance on how to set up the adaptor on a PC
running Windows 98.
I have checked the dial up network settings (control panel) and although the
option is greyed out, it appears that the option for 'never using a dial up
connection' has already been selected.

Any help is much appreciated - Eos

Hi Eos

This may be nit picking, however with Win98 SE, there is usually a
need to follow the manufacturer's installation process exactly to the
letter. What you did, and what you say you did may be in conflict. You
said "At the moment I have connected the network adaptor and Installed
the software in the normal manner." Now if you actually did it in that
order, things may not work correctly. I have found that in most cases,
you need to install the software first, then connect the hardware, as
stated in your manual. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't but it's just
not clear to me.
Second thought may also be obvious to you, but not to me, is whether
or not you have had any other USB devices working on your Win98 SE
box. If this is the first, the USB port may not be active, mine
wasn't.
Third, and also not obvious to me, but sometimes is the complete
opposite of my second inquiry. If you are accessing your USB through a
USB hub or with another USB devices attached to your Win98 SE box, you
may want to remove all other devices and connect solo. Again I have
had troubles with Win98 SE and multiple devices, especially with USB
hubs.
Third, if the adapter is not associating with your gateway, try
removing encryption from the gateway to see if you can associate with
it and go from there. Sort of walk first then run scenario.
Fourth, but should be done first actually, is check in the Device
Manager and see how much current the adapter is drawing or for that
matter if the device is in fact correctly installed. You will find the
Wireless-G USB Network Adapter if it is installed successfully. If
not, disconnect the Adapter and uninstall the driver software from
your PC. Then restart your PC and repeat the software and hardware
installation specified in your User Guide.

"Eos" <Eos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have recently purchased a Wireless-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G) and two
USB
| Network adaptors (WUSB54G-UK).
| Whilst I have been able to connect a second PC which is running on
Windows
| XP, I am having extreme difficulty in setting up a third PC which is
running
| on Windows 98 (second edition).
| All I really require is that this PC is connected to allow internet
access
| which is on ADSL Broadband.
| At the moment I have connected the network adaptor and Installed the
| software in the normal manner.
| However when I open the program via the taskbar Icon the message
states that
| WUSB54 is inactive 'no association with access point' and the Link
LED on the
| adaptor is not illuminated.
| I would very much appreciate if you can perhaps advice as to what
the
| problem might be and give some guidance on how to set up the adaptor
on a PC
| running Windows 98.
| I have checked the dial up network settings (control panel) and
although the
| option is greyed out, it appears that the option for 'never using a
dial up
| connection' has already been selected.
|
| Any help is much appreciated - Eos

I have the same environment: WAG54G on WinXp and WUSB54G on Win98SE.
I have this working - although it can still be a bit flaky with 'no
association with access point' problems, and also difficulties accessing
some web pages. My current set up seems to be working reasonably well.

1. Check for a firmware upgrades here:-
WAG54G http://www.linksys.com/international/firmware.asp?intfwid=32&coid=6
WUSB54G: http://www.linksys.com/international/driver.asp?coid=6&intdlid=26

2. Get a wired connection working initially, with firewalls and
encryption turned off and SSID turned on. The current view seems to be
that hiding SSID does not add to the security, and may make connection
and fault diagnosis more difficult.

This is just to try the simplest connection case. If it works ok then
turn on encryption, and then gradually turn on firewall rules.

3. Try the wireless connection.

If you hit problems then these links are useful:-
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
http://www.broadbandreports.com/ --some very handy suggestions for
registry changes in here - check out drtcp.exe
http://www.ezlan.net/
http://www.2kevin.net/router.html
http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

Hope this helps