Strange "overclocking error" problem with motherboard

Hi,

I've got a strange problem - I get an error message at the bootup that
claims I have a failed overclocking problem. The thing is= I never
overclocked the computer!

I did however flash the motherboard with the latest bios from Asus. (Not the
newer beta one)

The problem mainly happens when I turn the computer off (at the main power
switch) for 30 minutes+. When I power it back on- the computer beeps rapidly
several times and the monitor is totally blank. When I restart it the bios
screen comes on and says I have "failed overclocking". It asks me to use
default settings to continue- I press enter and all is ok.

My computer system is a P4 3.0 Prescott, Asus P4P800S, 1G RAM,
PFUHL2keyboard, Geforce4Ti4800SE, Creative CDRW 32x, Sony DVDROM, Mirage
400W powersupply, IntelliExplorer mouse. Cable modem - Motorola SB5100.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 with all critical updates done Firewall is
Zone Alarm Pro 5.1, Grisoft AVG. I also use Trojan Hunter, Adware6, and
TrendMicro's online scanner.

Whats the problem?

WW

Cheers,

Castle

Paul

Splendid

In article <2FVSe.23810$FA3.15286@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Wylie
Wilde" <wilde_pretty_fast@deadwood.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a strange problem - I get an error message at the bootup that
> claims I have a failed overclocking problem. The thing is= I never
> overclocked the computer!
>
> I did however flash the motherboard with the latest bios from Asus. (Not the
> newer beta one)
>
> The problem mainly happens when I turn the computer off (at the main power
> switch) for 30 minutes+. When I power it back on- the computer beeps rapidly
> several times and the monitor is totally blank. When I restart it the bios
> screen comes on and says I have "failed overclocking". It asks me to use
> default settings to continue- I press enter and all is ok.
>
> My computer system is a P4 3.0 Prescott, Asus P4P800S, 1G RAM,
> PFUHL2keyboard, Geforce4Ti4800SE, Creative CDRW 32x, Sony DVDROM, Mirage
> 400W powersupply, IntelliExplorer mouse. Cable modem - Motorola SB5100.
>
> I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 with all critical updates done Firewall is
> Zone Alarm Pro 5.1, Grisoft AVG. I also use Trojan Hunter, Adware6, and
> TrendMicro's online scanner.
>
> Whats the problem?
>
> WW
>

> Cheers,
>
> Castle

Maybe the CMOS battery needs to be replaced ? When the main power
is off (i.e. the green LED is not lit on the motherboard), the
CMOS and the Real Time Clock are run via the coin cell battery.
Nominal voltage is around 3 volts or so. If the battery drops below
2.4V or so, the CMOS memory could become "forgetful". When the green
LED on the motherboard is lit, the battery is not used - no current
is drawn from the battery then.

Somehow, though, I doubt this is the problem. Check the battery with
a voltmeter, to decide whether the battery needs to be replaced or
not. (There have occasionally been batches of motherboards, where
the batteries are weak from the factory, and checking Google or
the private forums, might tell you whether that is the case
with your motherboard model.)

Paul

TRENDING THREADS