Motherboard Replacement Recommendation

Mike

Splendid

Hi All,

A few days ago, my trusted P2B may have gone down for the count. I
started up my PC, and went away fora few minutes. When I returned, the
Windows desktop was present, but the unit was frozen/hung. I rebooted,
but the PC would not POST. I've been at it for a couple days now,
without any success. I still can't get it to post consistently, and
now the PS2 connectors seem dead as it doesn't recognioze anything
hooked there, along with Windows (when I can get it booted) saying it
cannot located the mouse, which is hooked to the onboard USB. I pretty
much figure the P2B is dead...

My P2B has a 850mhz Pentium 3 FCPGA processor, with an ASUS slotket,
512mb RAM, a 80GB IDE drive, CD/DVD drives, AGP video card, and a
couple PCI cards. At this point, should I look to replace the P2B with
another P2B, or consider a better motherboard? Any motherboards in
particular? Recommendations?

I was thinking of a socket 370 unit, with AGP, and support for the IDE
drive. I coulkd also just go for a brand new unit, but would like to
avoid that if at all possible.

Just trying to get a feel for what might be the best strategy at this
point. Not looking to spen d a fortune if at all possible, but
certainly want to get back up & running.

thx,
mike

"Mike" <guest@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> A few days ago, my trusted P2B may have gone down for the count. I
> started up my PC, and went away fora few minutes. When I returned, the
> Windows desktop was present, but the unit was frozen/hung. I rebooted,
> but the PC would not POST. I've been at it for a couple days now,
> without any success. I still can't get it to post consistently, and
> now the PS2 connectors seem dead as it doesn't recognioze anything
> hooked there, along with Windows (when I can get it booted) saying it
> cannot located the mouse, which is hooked to the onboard USB. I pretty
> much figure the P2B is dead...
>
> My P2B has a 850mhz Pentium 3 FCPGA processor, with an ASUS slotket,
> 512mb RAM, a 80GB IDE drive, CD/DVD drives, AGP video card, and a
> couple PCI cards. At this point, should I look to replace the P2B with
> another P2B, or consider a better motherboard? Any motherboards in
> particular? Recommendations?
>
> I was thinking of a socket 370 unit, with AGP, and support for the IDE
> drive. I coulkd also just go for a brand new unit, but would like to
> avoid that if at all possible.
>
> Just trying to get a feel for what might be the best strategy at this
> point. Not looking to spen d a fortune if at all possible, but
> certainly want to get back up & running.

I have a P2B-F here which I believe is similar, if you'd like it?

Provided you cover postage and/or shipping..... it's yours for the taking.

Mike wrote:

> Just trying to get a feel for what might be the best strategy at this
> point. Not looking to spen d a fortune if at all possible, but
> certainly want to get back up & running.
>
> thx,
> mike

Hi Mike!

I feel that may P2B-F with the P3 is still compareable to new Hardware.
Well, the 64bit are NOW, two times faster (feel), Intel is said to be
the fastest in 64bit but I think the support is freezing. MS had
support for the BX, up to XPsp2. Pheew, they need 9 Years :) to beat
the BX Chipset.

Look out for a fine ASUS BX Motherboard, maybe a CuBX will make you a
pleasure. IMO the P2B, P2B-B, P2B-F are the only normal BX fitted MB.
I tried (have) P3B-F and the mighty CuBX.... but this Schweinsmedallion
BIOS is getting me crazy. I disable something in the BIOS, and it
isn´t. They behave like modern MB´s. 4.5PG is IMHO the best BIOS for XP
and.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: I got a CuBX, a MGA400 and a SB Live! for 40bucks. But the MB has
the same fault you mentioned - dead PS/2 Socket, The SB was broken at
all and the MGA seems also to be damaged - freezing and dazzling the
screen after a while. Nice seller :-(
P.P.S.: I only bought the CuBX and the MGA. No Soundcard mentioned....