P4PE AGP problem with 6600GT

Hi

I've have an Asus P4PE and decided to upgrade my old GF4 Ti4200 64mb,
which ran fine on the board's AGP4X

I have installed a Gigabyte 6600GT, but the Gigabyte monitoring
software shows it running at only AGP1X - the ForceWare drivers are
showing the bus as PCI x0

I think I have identified the problem - the board is AGP v2 and the
card wants AGP v3.

Is there anything I can do with the P4PE board or the card to get them
running together at AGP4X?

I have tried software solutions such as PowerStrip, which reports AGP4X
but it isn't

Thanks in advance

D.O.

It (p4pe) is in fact agp v2 and supports agp 4x. The card, however,
must also support some universal funtion and as you said, you have
found the problem...I think you can tell by how the pcb is keyed on
the card itself. I've lost my chart...

On 5 Sep 2005 14:45:44 -0700, "D0wen" <Mr_D_Owen@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've have an Asus P4PE and decided to upgrade my old GF4 Ti4200 64mb,
>which ran fine on the board's AGP4X
>
>I have installed a Gigabyte 6600GT, but the Gigabyte monitoring
>software shows it running at only AGP1X - the ForceWare drivers are
>showing the bus as PCI x0
>
>I think I have identified the problem - the board is AGP v2 and the
>card wants AGP v3.
>
>Is there anything I can do with the P4PE board or the card to get them
>running together at AGP4X?
>
>I have tried software solutions such as PowerStrip, which reports AGP4X
>but it isn't
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>D.O.
ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

Paul

Splendid

In article <1125956744.847278.221950@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"D0wen" <Mr_D_Owen@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've have an Asus P4PE and decided to upgrade my old GF4 Ti4200 64mb,
> which ran fine on the board's AGP4X
>
> I have installed a Gigabyte 6600GT, but the Gigabyte monitoring
> software shows it running at only AGP1X - the ForceWare drivers are
> showing the bus as PCI x0
>
> I think I have identified the problem - the board is AGP v2 and the
> card wants AGP v3.
>
> Is there anything I can do with the P4PE board or the card to get them
> running together at AGP4X?
>
> I have tried software solutions such as PowerStrip, which reports AGP4X
> but it isn't
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> D.O.

I don't know if this will help, but take a look at
the agpfix page.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpfix/agpfix.html

HTH,
Paul

Thanks for both replies - that AGP page is heavy reading but given me
some ideas.

I've had a similar set-up to yours:
P4PE + 6600GT
The only differnce was that the video card was made by BFG.
I still have this card running on P4P800-E Deluxe - works great!
There are few things that occured to me:
- check BIOS settings - make sure AGP is set to 4x
- install Intel's latest chipset drivers (INF)
- install the latest nVidia ForceWare driver (re-install after
installing Intel chipset drivers).
- make sure you connect one of the standard molex power connector
(same as for your hard drive) to your video card.

Regards,
Technik

Technik wrote:

> - install Intel's latest chipset drivers (INF)

This was the problem. Following advice form here and other forums, I
installed the latest Intel chipset drivers - version 7.2.1.1003
(11/7/2005), but it had no effect. On reading the release notes, these
latest drivers do not have support for the 845PE chipset.

I downloaded an older set - 6.3.0.1007 16/12/2004, which seems to be
the last that mentions 845PE in the release notes and they worked
perfectly - I'm now back to 4X and the 6600GT is running great

Many thanks to all who answered, hope this helps someone else in the
future.

D.O.