Hard drive light stays on?

This evening we went to use one of our PCs that had been in standby mode
and it wouldn't become active again. We noticed that the hard drive light
was on and didn't flicker with activity (as usual). We powered down the PC
and left it off for a few minutes, then tried booting again. When we did
that, both the power light and the hard drive light came on and stayed on.
We've repeated this several times with the same results.

Can anyone suggest what is causing this and what the problem might be? Of
course, a remedy for the problem would be most helpful, too.

TIA

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

It is odd that it would just start doing this and has not always done
this. Your problem usually occurs when the cables are incorrectly
connected to the motherboard (often the connector location is called the
J-Panel). If it does not harm your computer and nothing wrong is
happening, I wouldn't worry about it.

----
Nathan McNulty

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:57:16 -0700, Wayne <waynemunged@att.net> wrote:

>This evening we went to use one of our PCs that had been in standby mode
>and it wouldn't become active again. We noticed that the hard drive light
>was on and didn't flicker with activity (as usual). We powered down the PC
>and left it off for a few minutes, then tried booting again. When we did
>that, both the power light and the hard drive light came on and stayed on.
>We've repeated this several times with the same results.
>
>Can anyone suggest what is causing this and what the problem might be? Of
>course, a remedy for the problem would be most helpful, too.
The drive light might stay on if:

a) Its still loading programs and data after logging in.
b) There is a problem with drive which its trying to resolve
c) The LED wires for HD and Power are connected wrong.

Peter Hutchison