A7N8X-X passes POST then hangs

Hi Ppl

Today I received parts for a new computer, the list is...

Black Internal 3.5' 13 In 1 Card Reader With Additional USB Port
Maxtor 6L200P0 Diamondmax 10 200Gb 7200rpm ATA133 8mb Cache
1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 184pin Extra Value Ram
Asus A7N8X-X SKT A Nforce2 AGP X8 Sound USB 2.0 Motherboard Retail Box
A-2548-I ATX Slim/Desktop Case in Black with USB2.0/Audio+80mm Fan and
350w PSU
3 x Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB DDR TV-Out PCI Retail
Samsung 16x48 DVD Rom Internal IDE OEM Black
AMD Sempron 2500+ (SDA2500BOX) Processor Skt A 256KB Cache FSB333

When plugged in and switched on it went through it's POST and beeped,
tested RAM but then hangs. Del won't take me into the BIOS and the BIOS
won't check the drives.

I tried unplugging each item, including the graphics cards, 3.5 card
reader, HD, DVD and DVD Rewriter with no change. I also tried plugging
in a FDD to see if the BIOS was trying to find one, but still it hangs.

I've built a few computers and had similar problems when the IDE cables
were loose in there sockets, but in this case I removed them altogether
so that ain't the problem.

So, hey, can anybody help here?

Andrew Sprott

Not sure if this is related but i read somewhere that these boards won't run
the AMD Sempron without the latest bios. You needed to flash it up using an
older style cpu like the athlon then use the sempron. This was for the A7n8x
Delux. Could be the problem. I'm sure someone will correct me if im wrong :)

Keith

"CarnMeynen" <andrew.sprott@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ppl
>
> Today I received parts for a new computer, the list is...
>
> Black Internal 3.5' 13 In 1 Card Reader With Additional USB Port
> Maxtor 6L200P0 Diamondmax 10 200Gb 7200rpm ATA133 8mb Cache
> 1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 184pin Extra Value Ram
> Asus A7N8X-X SKT A Nforce2 AGP X8 Sound USB 2.0 Motherboard Retail Box
> A-2548-I ATX Slim/Desktop Case in Black with USB2.0/Audio+80mm Fan and
> 350w PSU
> 3 x Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB DDR TV-Out PCI Retail
> Samsung 16x48 DVD Rom Internal IDE OEM Black
> AMD Sempron 2500+ (SDA2500BOX) Processor Skt A 256KB Cache FSB333
>
> When plugged in and switched on it went through it's POST and beeped,
> tested RAM but then hangs. Del won't take me into the BIOS and the BIOS
> won't check the drives.
>
> I tried unplugging each item, including the graphics cards, 3.5 card
> reader, HD, DVD and DVD Rewriter with no change. I also tried plugging
> in a FDD to see if the BIOS was trying to find one, but still it hangs.
>
> I've built a few computers and had similar problems when the IDE cables
> were loose in there sockets, but in this case I removed them altogether
> so that ain't the problem.
>
> So, hey, can anybody help here?
>
> Andrew Sprott

Just the one stick. In the morning I'm taking in my MB to have it's
BIOS flashed. I will write back here to say if it works.

Andrew

Paul

Splendid

In article <1126138776.685085.111200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"CarnMeynen" <andrew.sprott@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just the one stick. In the morning I'm taking in my MB to have it's
> BIOS flashed. I will write back here to say if it works.
>
> Andrew

There are two ways to construct 1GB sticks. The "good" way is
with 64Mx8 type chips. The other (cheaper) way is with 128Mx4
chips. I read recently, that Nforce2 doesn't support a 1GB
module that uses 128Mx4 chips. The consequence should be that
only 512MB of memory is detected.

You might borrow a stick of RAM from somewhere, and try it
in place of the 1GB. Only if you run out of other things
to try.

You can see the price difference between good and not so
good 1GB modules here:

http://www.portatech.com/catalog/memory.asp?ID=285

Paul