dynamic disk unreadable

September 20, 2004 5:43:57 AM

I have two hard drives in my computer. The first disk
contains XP and the software, the second contains
personal stuff. The second disk is installed using NTFS
dynamic disk.
Last weekedend I formated the XP disk, and installed XP
again. After installing, the second disk comes up
as "unreadable" dynamic disk.
Is there a way to make it readable? I haven't done
anything to it, so all the data should be there.

Regards
Anders
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:16:23 AM

Similar / same problem - would love a solution...
Here's my situation background: I was getting BSODs way too often on
my home-built PC, and I ended up determining that the problem was my 3
year old mobo with the cracked and discolored capacitors. So I
upgraded my mobo from a Socket A/AMD 760 EPoX board to a Socket
754/nForce3 Giga-Byte board. In the process, I also had to replace my
1GHz Athlon proc with a 3000+ Athlon64 and I put in 512MB of brand new
PC3200 RAM from Crucial. Everything else in the case stayed the same.
("Everything else in the case" = 128MB AGP card, 100MB Zip-Master on
IDE0, CD-RW-Slave on IDE0, boot drive-120GB EIDE WD1200JB-Master on
IDE1, and my data drive-120GB EIDE WD1200JB-Slave on IDE1)

What Happened Next (details of how my problem arose): After connecting
all the old components to the new mobo and powering up, I would get a
very brief BSOD (I could never read the actual error) and then the
machine would re-boot. I researched the problem and determined that I
would have to re-install my WinXP Pro OS on my boot drive (C:\ drive
containing only OS and installed apps, approx 90% free space). Due to
an unexplained inability to boot from my XP CD (and a failed attempt to
use a set of 6 XP boot diskettes I downloaded), I was unable to do the
recommended Repair/in-place install of XP. So, figuring that I didn't
have any real data on my boot drive, I proceeded to re-install WinXP
Pro the only way I knew how: I booted from my old Win2000 install CD,
installed Win2000 and then ran the WinXP Pro CD from within Win2000 to
perform the upgrade. <bummer> I thought I would re-install XP and be
prompted to re-activate, but I could handle that. At least my data
would be safe... As a precautionary measure to make sure I wouldn't
lose my data, before I began the Win2000 install I disconnected my data
drive from its IDE and power cables - just to keep this drive out of the
picture entirely until I had my OS re-installed and working. I don't
know if this matters or not, but when I did the Win2000 install on my
C:\ drive, I formatted it (NTFS) and created a 70GB partition (leaving
the rest of the 120GB drive as unpartitioned space). At any rate, the
Win2000 install went fine and the subsequent WinXP install/upgrade went
fine, too. I installed all of my mobo chipset drivers (LAN, sound chip,
etc.) and was ready to connect my data drive.

Here's where things went South: After I connected my data drive
(containing approx. 70GB of treasured data) XP did not display this
drive in My Computer. I went into the Disk Manager utility to see if
the drive showed up at all, and it was there, but it was labeled as
"Dynamic, Unreadable". WTF!?!

What I've tried/thought of so far: I have done several hours of
research and troubleshooting and have come up with a bunch of possible
solutions to this problem. I have tried connecting the drive to a
different PC (running Win2000) and it still shows up in Disk Manager as
"Dynamic, Unreadable"... so I am left to assume that I am dealing with a
corrupt MBR (see http://tinyurl.com/6k5f8 ). I have run dmdiag /v and
verified that my data drive has a 0x42 system-id byte. I have
considered using Diskprobe to manually change this byte in the MBR
according to the MS KnowledgeBase instructions. I have thought about
just using a boot disk and typing in a FDISK /MBR to reset my MBR (what
will this do to my data?). I have even considered downloading and using
either MBRtool or DiskPatch 2.0 from http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/
(DiskPatch costs about $50).

Here's where I need help: Given that (1) I have not seen/fixed this
problem before, and (2) I DO NOT want to lose my data, I am hesitant to
"pull the trigger" and pursue a fix until I am convinced that it will
have the desired results (ability to read my drive with no loss of
data). I am almost certain that there is nothing mechanically wrong
with the drive and I don't think I have done anything (yet) that could
have erased any of my precious data. It's just a matter of reading the
data, making a back-up of all of it, and then doing whatever I have to
do to get my OS to see the drive.
What's the best solution?

Regards,
Ian

--
funnyid
November 29, 2004 4:19:14 AM

> I have even considered downloading and using
> either MBRtool or DiskPatch 2.0 from http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/
> (DiskPatch costs about $50).

DiskPatch should be able to do this. Try the demo and see if the data
volume/partition is detected. If so buying the full version will probably
allow you to restore this partition as a basic partition. The DiskPatch
recovery process does not put yor data at risk; you can always undo whatever
repairs DiskPatch makes.

More details are here: http://www.diskpatch.com/data_recovery.htm

--
Good luck,
Joep

In fact, some of them solved this problem after use the solution that gave by Microsoft, but some of them still stay in that trouble. However Dynamic Disk Converter 3.0 can repair an unreadable disk to basic disk to fix, even if the dynamic disk can not be accessed.
December 14, 2011 5:24:27 PM

Hi,

This thread is old. I resurrected it with hesitancy. Since web searches for this "dynamic disk problem" have this Tom's thread so high up, I figured I might help someone if I shared my solution.

I solve all of my friends' & family's computer problems. My dad gave me an internal hdd (used only for data storage, one of three total hdds) from his old XP machine. His configuration was XP on one drive, storage on 2nd drive, and more storage on the 3rd drive. How/why the drive was initialized as dynamic...is beyond me.

I tried just plugging the drive into an XP Pro machine. It was recognized by Disk Management, but not mounted.

My next step was to boot my computer using Hiren's Boot CD:
I started Miny XP.
I started the app "Partition Find and Mount"
I scanned ("Intelligent" setting) the problem hdd).
I mounted the partition of the hdd.
I used the apps "FastCopy" & "Unstoppable Copier" (they do the same thing) to transfer wanted folders from the problem hdd to an external hdd.
*You can use a USB to IDE adapter if you want to use a laptop (or if your computer does not have the interface (IDE/SATA) needed).

I hope that helps,

Jaime

P.S. I probably could have found joy, as 2 of my friends recommended, through installing a recovery app (instead of using Hiren's Boot CD):
  1. <a href="http://findandmount.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://findandmount.com/</a>
  2. <a href="http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/index.htm" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/index.htm</a>

(You would use these apps with the hdd connected to a Windows XP machine.)
February 11, 2014 11:48:30 AM

I have a same problem.
My Solution:
1-create DiskPatch bootable USB disk.
2-use "perform repair"
3-Quick Scan
4-Repair found drives.
This solution does not corrupt your data on the dynamic disk.
!