Sorry, pressed wrong button by mistake earlier.

My XP SP2 system has two hard drives, Sony dvd rom and
Asus CR-RW drive. Athlon XP 1700+ and 512 ddr pc2100
memory. AOpen KT600GN motherboard.

Firstly the Asus drive isn't recognised properly in boot
up giving a load of rubbish as the description, then
sometimes it is recognised ok.

Secondly the pc freezes for no reason, I'm only playing
some music at the time or viewing pictures.

Thirdly my internet connection sometimes works, sometimes
doesn't, sometimes it's really slow.

I've reinstalled, reformatted, done just about eveything I
can think of!

It's driving me mad, I'm at the stage where a visit to buy
a OEM system is on the cards - wait to hear :)

It sounds like the Asus drive, or whatever is sharing the
cable with it, is dying. (The garbage on boot, before
Windows even comes into the picture, identifies the
problem as actual hardware.)

The best way of determining which one is bad is by trying
a replacement (any sort of modern CD drive) in place of
first one, then the other. If you don't have a spare,
disconnect one from the data cable and set the other one
to be master; connect the end of the data cable to that.
Repeat with the other one. (Both could work okay under
those conditions, which is why I prefer the "replace with
spare" method.) Don't forget to correct the master/slave
jumpers when reconnecting the drives.

Mike

There is always a reason, you just haven't figured it out
yet.
Eliminate possible causes a step at a time...
over-heating [clean it and check that all the fans are
working properly and air-flow is not obstructed]
spyware/scum ware, viruses,
SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware SE Personal, current virus scan to
clean it out.
Driver conflicts or software problems.
Bad or loose cables.

These are not listed in any particular order and it isn't a
complete list.

"Dr Evil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2bd401c49ef1$38def7e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...