Channel Control

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I am trying to control the list of channels used during
OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN request to NDIS miniport driver.

I do it in user mode through DeviceIoControl call by sending proper
IOCTL. According to OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN documentation, the
following are the parameters used by NIC when serving the request.

BSSType indicates that both the infrastructure BSS and independent BSS
are used.

BSSID indicates that the BSSID is broadcast.

SSID indicates that the SSID is broadcast.

ScanType indicates active, passive, or a combination of both passive
and active scanning approaches.

ChannelList indicates all permitted frequency channels.

I could not find any way to define or modify the ChannelList
parameter.

Could somebody, please, clarify for me how selective control over list
of channels used during 802.11 radio scanning can be achieve?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Paul,

By definition, acording to the geographic zone in which you live, certain
channels are defined as part of the unlicenced 802.11 spectrum. By default,
scanning is done over all channels for your geographic area. You cannot
control the range of the scan, but the card may limit itself to a certain
range (Europe has more channels for 802.11 b/g I believe). Only
undocumented, card-specific OIDS might let you do that.

Now, you can make the card do a directed probe if you know your SSID (or if
you want to guess what the SSID might be, in the case that it is
moderately/well-known) by calling OID_802_11_SSID repeatedly and checking
the results.

I hope that this answers your question.

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com

<paul.a.bennett@flicksoftware.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to control the list of channels used during
> OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN request to NDIS miniport driver.
>
> I do it in user mode through DeviceIoControl call by sending proper
> IOCTL. According to OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN documentation, the
> following are the parameters used by NIC when serving the request.
>
> BSSType indicates that both the infrastructure BSS and independent BSS
> are used.
>
> BSSID indicates that the BSSID is broadcast.
>
> SSID indicates that the SSID is broadcast.
>
> ScanType indicates active, passive, or a combination of both passive
> and active scanning approaches.
>
> ChannelList indicates all permitted frequency channels.
>
> I could not find any way to define or modify the ChannelList
> parameter.
>
> Could somebody, please, clarify for me how selective control over list
> of channels used during 802.11 radio scanning can be achieve?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Firstly, I'm not able to answer this question right now but I wanted to give
you some assurance that I will try and get you an answer so check back
later to see my response.

Just to clarify: are you asking how does one specifiy the ChannelList
parameter to limit a scan to a particular set of channels using a call with
OID "OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN"

I looked through online MSDN documentation myself and it kept cycling me to
the same definition without clarifying this ChannelList parameter. If you
don't have access to the ntddndis.h header file and supporting
documentation, this would difficult :)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/network/hh/network/217wirelessoid_b47598a6-45ea-4d9f-a785-4845f709d071.xml.asp

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

<paul.a.bennett@flicksoftware.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to control the list of channels used during
> OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN request to NDIS miniport driver.
>
> I do it in user mode through DeviceIoControl call by sending proper
> IOCTL. According to OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN documentation, the
> following are the parameters used by NIC when serving the request.
>
> BSSType indicates that both the infrastructure BSS and independent BSS
> are used.
>
> BSSID indicates that the BSSID is broadcast.
>
> SSID indicates that the SSID is broadcast.
>
> ScanType indicates active, passive, or a combination of both passive
> and active scanning approaches.
>
> ChannelList indicates all permitted frequency channels.
>
> I could not find any way to define or modify the ChannelList
> parameter.
>
> Could somebody, please, clarify for me how selective control over list
> of channels used during 802.11 radio scanning can be achieve?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Paul,

I'm confused now - do you want to intiate a scan over selected channels or
do you want to identify the channels discovered during a scan. Did Brian's
explanation cover your area of interest or is the issue still open?