CONVERTING FROM WIN98 TO XP (hard drive errors)

When converting to WIN XP Home from WIN98SE, I was not
aware of a need to delete the original partition before
formatting with the XP disk. The hard drive went through
the motion of trying to load XP. The system drivers and
executables were loaded to the drive, but it would not
load the main OS program. It is now stuck in a loop
startup of initial system install and load completion.
The OS (XP) will not fully install. Doesn't even make it
to the "key code" input. I was told to use a WIN98 boot
disk and run FDISK, then reboot, create a new partition,
reboot, reformat, then load from the CD. After learning
of this sequence, I tried to regress back through the
process of FDISK, but the hard drive isn't recognized -
(no fixed disk present)is the response. It will still try
to load the XP CD, but really just goes in a loop and
never finishes the install.
Has anyone been down this road and if so, what is the
work around?
5 answers Last reply
More about converting win98 hard drive errors

    Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "DROLIJ" wrote:

    | When converting to WIN XP Home from WIN98SE, I was not
    | aware of a need to delete the original partition before
    | formatting with the XP disk. The hard drive went through
    | the motion of trying to load XP. The system drivers and
    | executables were loaded to the drive, but it would not
    | load the main OS program. It is now stuck in a loop
    | startup of initial system install and load completion.
    | The OS (XP) will not fully install. Doesn't even make it
    | to the "key code" input. I was told to use a WIN98 boot
    | disk and run FDISK, then reboot, create a new partition,
    | reboot, reformat, then load from the CD. After learning
    | of this sequence, I tried to regress back through the
    | process of FDISK, but the hard drive isn't recognized -
    | (no fixed disk present)is the response. It will still try
    | to load the XP CD, but really just goes in a loop and
    | never finishes the install.
    | Has anyone been down this road and if so, what is the
    | work around?

    Hi, DROLIJ.

    You need to make a choice: MS-DOS or WinXP. Either of them can do a fine
    job of partitioning and formatting your hard disk drive - but they don't mix
    very well. Use one or the other.

    Having chosen WinXP, now you should throw away the MS-DOS boot disk that you
    used with Win9x/ME. Or at least, hide that diskette so that you will never
    be tempted to use it again. FDISK.exe and Format.exe are MS-DOS commands
    that WinXP doesn't understand and can't use. WinXP does have other tools
    (especially Disk Management and the Recovery Console) to do the same jobs.

    The WinXP CD-ROM has all the tools you need to repartition and reformat your
    hard drive. Just put the CD in the drive, reboot, and follow the prompts.
    Read the messages carefully; sometimes they don't say what we expect them to
    say, and just automatically pressing Enter often is not the right response.

    It is not clear from your post whether you have a single HD with a single
    partition, or some other arrangement, or how many partitions you want to end
    up with. If Win98 was pre-installed on your computer by the manufacturer,
    there may be hidden partitions or other features that you will need to deal
    with. Details of what you should do next depend on (a) where you are now
    (no matter how you got here) and (b) where you want to end up. If you will
    tell us those, we can probably help you get from (a) to (b).

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "DROLIJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When converting to WIN XP Home from WIN98SE, I was not
    > aware of a need to delete the original partition before
    > formatting with the XP disk. The hard drive went through
    > the motion of trying to load XP. The system drivers and
    > executables were loaded to the drive, but it would not
    > load the main OS program. It is now stuck in a loop
    > startup of initial system install and load completion.
    > The OS (XP) will not fully install. Doesn't even make it
    > to the "key code" input. I was told to use a WIN98 boot
    > disk and run FDISK, then reboot, create a new partition,
    > reboot, reformat, then load from the CD. After learning
    > of this sequence, I tried to regress back through the
    > process of FDISK, but the hard drive isn't recognized -
    > (no fixed disk present)is the response. It will still try
    > to load the XP CD, but really just goes in a loop and
    > never finishes the install.
    > Has anyone been down this road and if so, what is the
    > work around?

    Thanks RC,
    Working with a single drive that has two partitions. One
    is 8MB, which is the lead in partition when WIN98 is
    loaded to a drive and the other is 39+G. That's basically
    two partitions I'm dealing with and want to end up with
    one solid. Will possibly divide in two at a later date. I
    started off formatting the drive with the WINXP CD.
    That's when all the problems started. Now it gets part
    way through the setup and hangs up.

    DROLIJ wrote:
    > When converting to WIN XP Home from WIN98SE, I was not
    > aware of a need to delete the original partition before
    > formatting with the XP disk. The hard drive went through
    > the motion of trying to load XP. The system drivers and
    > executables were loaded to the drive, but it would not
    > load the main OS program. It is now stuck in a loop
    > startup of initial system install and load completion.
    > The OS (XP) will not fully install. Doesn't even make it
    > to the "key code" input. I was told to use a WIN98 boot
    > disk and run FDISK, then reboot, create a new partition,
    > reboot, reformat, then load from the CD. After learning
    > of this sequence, I tried to regress back through the
    > process of FDISK, but the hard drive isn't recognized -
    > (no fixed disk present)is the response. It will still try
    > to load the XP CD, but really just goes in a loop and
    > never finishes the install.
    > Has anyone been down this road and if so, what is the
    > work around?

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Hi, DROLIJ.

    To paraphrase what Carey and Bruce and I have all told you, and what is
    included in the instructions for installing WinXP:

    Step 1: Boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and follow the prompts, including the
    very early one that offers to delete existing partitions and create a new
    one.

    Step 2: There is no Step 2.

    Note that I said nothing about MS-DOS or Win98 or FDISK or Format.exe. None
    of those should be involved at all. Also note that you must start by
    deleting the existing partitions. If you simply reformat the existing 8 MB
    partition, it may interfere with the rest of the installation.

    But at least two things worry me about all this.

    First, you haven't mentioned the make and model of your computer, and that
    may be highly significant. Some manufacturers create that small 8 MB
    partition and put files there that are vital to the operation of that model
    computer. If we know what kind of computer you have and what the OEM put on
    it, our advice might change significantly. Since we don't know that (we
    can't see your computer!), we can give you only "generic" WinXP advice.

    Second, you said you "want to end up with one solid [partition]. Will
    possibly divide in two at a later date." WinXP's Disk Management can create
    and delete partitions, but it cannot divide or resize them. Also, it can't
    do much with the "system partition" and "boot volume". So if you decide to
    divide your single partition later, you will need to either
    backup/repartition/reformat/restore or use a third-party partitioning
    program such as Partition Magic. You might want to think through your
    partition scheme now, rather than go through that trauma later.

    > That's when all the problems started. Now it gets part
    > way through the setup and hangs up.

    How far is "part way"? Step by step, what happens from the time you boot
    from the WinXP CD? What do you do, and what error messages or other
    messages do you see? When it "hangs up", is there a message onscreen? What
    does it say?

    RC
    --

    > Thanks RC,
    > Working with a single drive that has two partitions. One
    > is 8MB, which is the lead in partition when WIN98 is
    > loaded to a drive and the other is 39+G. That's basically
    > two partitions I'm dealing with and want to end up with
    > one solid. Will possibly divide in two at a later date. I
    > started off formatting the drive with the WINXP CD.
    > That's when all the problems started. Now it gets part
    > way through the setup and hangs up.

Hard Drives Windows XP